Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a discussion with the tech who replaced my windshield today. Because of EPA regs some years back windshields are thinner and none of them will last as long as their predecessors. The longer term good news is that Corning has been working on developing their Gorilla glass for windshields. They have them for some Jeeps which makes sense given their vertical vulnerability. I have no idea when they might show up in Subarus. They obviously would cost more, at least at this point. Hopefully the production and price point will be worked out sooner rather than later.

Drive radio host states that the windshields today are far superior than in the past in terms of durability. He stated the reason we experience more cracks are multiple including many more vehicles on the road going faster kicking up debris. We are also driving more mileage, so in general we have far more exposure to chips and cracks. IMO I tend to go with the latter explanation. Pay attention to your insrance policy. Consider your deductable on a comprehensive versus a rider.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Touring (Canadian Edition) -- Ice Silver Metallic
125 Posts
That would be nice if they made it more scratch resistant.

My 1st road trip with bug splatter, my 4mo old Ascent scratched using the squeegee to clean it off at the gas station. ?

And I usually never clean while at home (would have pressure washed it), but when on the road you don't have much options.

And I was gently wiping the splatter off, not like I was using full on elbow grease.

Now the the sun is a the right angle, you can see the faint scratches, similar to the lines of spider's silk running across the windshield.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts