Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that since my trip at Thanksgiving, my Google Maps (and Apple Maps, maybe?) freezes frequently. The direction prompts continue to update as the trip progresses, but the map itself freezes. I've discovered that opening the iPhone and clicking on the app unfreezes the map — for a while. And then it freezes again. I've got a 2021 Ascent without native navigation, so I need third-party navigation.

Running an updated iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Anyone else experiencing this same strange freezing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Following...yes I have the same issue and noticed it started in the last couple of months...not sure if its an apple update or a subaru incompatibility issue...

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
I've noticed that since my trip at Thanksgiving, my Google Maps (and Apple Maps, maybe?) freezes frequently.
Following...yes I have the same issue and noticed it started in the last couple of months...not sure if its an apple update or a subaru incompatibility issue.
It's probably some bugginess between how navigation apps on CarPlay play with the head unit. I don't use Google Maps on CarPlay often, however...
Waze has been especially bad ever since iOS 15 came out, with a new and different bug each week. The behavior I've noticed as of late is if I start navigation via the phone app or with the app possibly still running in the background it'll freeze up. The workaround that's helped me this last week or two is opening Waze on my phone after plugging it in with CarPlay initiated. Then I'll swipe Waze away on the multitasker to close the app. Finally I reopen the app from the head unit itself. Second finally, I hope for an update to fix these bugs.

fwiw imho as much as the collective 'they' have been touting how great apple maps is in the latest iOS 15.2 update, it still has a long ways to go to equal Waze's level!

·
Premium Member
2020 Ascent Limited
140 Posts
I had issues with google maps freezing with my Samsung. Other posts on here recommended using a Samsung USB cable only. I was using an off brand cable and switched. No further problems, so far.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I had issues with google maps freezing with my Samsung. Other posts on here recommended using a Samsung USB cable only. I was using an off brand cable and switched. No further problems, so far.
Android auto has worked flawlessly 98% of the time with my Samsung s10. limited trim, no native navigation. only time it has been problematic has been due to cable and or its connection.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 and am having weird glitching on Google Maps redrawing, but a more frustrating experience with voice search. Any time I hit the mic button in Google maps, the first attempt I am told that I couldn't be heard (or something along those lines) via the on screen display. When I'm lucky, I can close that and try again and it will let me speak a destination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had issues when connecting via Bluetooth with several apps and maps but all have gone away since using a good certified cable. Cheap cables are more problematic than Bluetooth. Spend an extra dollar or 2 on a good cable. It is worth the peace of mind and reliability.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've pretty much given up on both Android Auto and Car Play for navigation in my 2020 Ascent. When I really do need it I'm afraid it will lock up, and I'm not giving it the opportunity to ruin my day. Both AA and CP are flawless in our other 2 vehicles.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
This was happening to me for a few months, then suddenly stopped. Cleaning the USB ports resolved it for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This was happening to me for a few months, then suddenly stopped. Cleaning the USB ports resolved it for me.
I pulled the USB cable and the little thumb drive out and pushed about 50psi thru a medium nozzle and blew out the ports in the car. It's been nearly a year since that was done so worth a try. Probably about time to check for updates again too.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
I pulled the USB cable and the little thumb drive out and pushed about 50psi thru a medium nozzle and blew out the ports in the car. It's been nearly a year since that was done so worth a try. Probably about time to check for updates again too.
Indeed. During the time mine was acting up, and not acting up, the only other difference other than cleaning cables, ports (phone and car), etc, was Android Auto updates to the phone. And, those go out in odd batches, sometimes months apart, so, my problem of June, may be yours of September - or vice versa - or the problem build may skip one of us.

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
If anyone using CarPlay has had problems with Google Maps or other apps freezing, try them after updating to iOS 15.2.1.
The update was recently released with CarPlay fixes and mine is already behaving nicer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts