Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my Ascent for about five months and I’ve been able to plug in the charging cable and use Google Maps from my phone to the car with no problem, works excellent.

I was having issues with radio presets being forgotten like most people have had, so I had it into the dealership to update the software. Now my phone has a lot of trouble charging and connecting to the car. I tried multiple cables which all do the same thing, almost like a bad connection but The cables are good since they work in outlets in the house.

Of course I just noticed this on a family trip during spring break to Chicago, and I don’t have my normal Maps software which is a major bummer.

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Thoughts...

I’ve had my Ascent for about five months and I’ve been able to plug in the charging cable and use Google Maps from my phone to the car with no problem, works excellent.

I was having issues with radio presets being forgotten like most people have had, so I had it into the dealership to update the software. Now my phone has a lot of trouble charging and connecting to the car. I tried multiple cables which all do the same thing, almost like a bad connection but The cables are good since they work in outlets in the house.

Of course I just noticed this on a family trip during spring break to Chicago, and I don’t have my normal Maps software which is a major bummer.

Any thoughts or ideas?
There is a new update for the NAV based infotainment systems that just came out a few days ago. If you had yours updated before March 4th, I'd head back in and have it updated again, or, manually update it by following the instructions at https://subaru-maps.com - you will need an account set up and your car registered (by VIN) to be able to do it yourself. Also, it takes 1-8 weeks for a car to show up on Harman Kardon's site (the link above).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I started that process, and the release date was 2/19.

Also, I don’t want to use the factory navigation, I want to use Google Maps so I don’t see how a map update will help. Maybe it’s more than just a map update?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

Any thoughts or ideas?
It could actually be a bad connection. I had CarPlay intermittently fail in another car and it was due to lint in the lightning port of my iPhone. I cleaned it out with a toothpick and all was well.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I started that process, and the release date was 2/19.

Also, I don’t want to use the factory navigation, I want to use Google Maps so I don’t see how a map update will help. Maybe it’s more than just a map update?
Yes, the update is far more than maps. It's for the entire head unit, and updates 7 other functions, including Carplay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, the update is far more than maps. It's for the entire head unit, and updates 7 other functions, including Carplay.
Hi. After reading this I decided to download the update. The latest I can get is 2/19. Is this the new update that you are referring to? Since it is for the whole head unit, is there a changelog we can look at somewhere? Thanks.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Yes

Hi. After reading this I decided to download the update. The latest I can get is 2/19. Is this the new update that you are referring to? Since it is for the whole head unit, is there a changelog we can look at somewhere? Thanks.
Sorry, just catching up on older threads. Yes, that is the latest update.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts