Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice looking ride. Is this the first post to show up with custom wheels on an Ascent? Stepped up to double deuces as well. The black wheels on a white vehicle look great.

Next he should wrap that chrome strip on the bottom trim with black. I would also wrap the chrome door handles and mirror caps...but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Changed out the Falkens? Also, where did he get the taillight overlay?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Yay, I won? What did I win?

Nice looking ride. Is this the first post to show up with custom wheels on an Ascent?
I beat him by a few hours. :grin:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...9-beefier-tire-recommendations-post37665.html

So, within just a few hours apart, one got to see what's probably the absolute beefiest tires with the same circumference as stock on the absolutely smallest possible rims - as well as what's probably the absolutely largest rims with the smallest possible tires. :smile:

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I beat him by a few hours. :grin:

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...9-beefier-tire-recommendations-post37665.html

So, within just a few hours apart, one got to see what's probably the absolute beefiest tires with the same circumference as stock on the absolutely smallest possible rims - as well as what's probably the absolutely largest rims with the smallest possible tires. :smile:
I noticed you got the 245/65/17 tires (29.5" diameter total) ... If you're to push the diameter to be larger - let's say 31" - would it rub (assuming using same rim)?

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
In answering YOUR question, I think I provide MORE questions than answers... sorry...

I noticed you got the 245/65/17 tires (29.5" diameter total) ... If you're to push the diameter to be larger - let's say 31" - would it rub (assuming using same rim)?
Jeremy Needham in the Facebook Ascent group has bigger tires, but not that much bigger (30", IIRC) and they are not rubbing. It does enable using stock 18" rims, but it also throws off the speedometer by a few miles per hour at highway driven speeds. At worst, a 1" lift would allow enough clearance.

I'm running stock circumference/diameter and stock width, which already didn't have too much clearance. An inch may be just at that point, especially for tires with more rubber sticking off of them. That's often brand specific. On my Outback, my Yokohama Geolander AT/S tires were a little larger than the stock Continental ContiProContacts, even though the size was "the same". The Kumhos on my Ascent are supposed to be virtually exactly the same size (99.7% circumference match, 100% width match) and they are, even though they've got much more rubber knobbies than the stock tires.

So, I am not sure. I guess it may depend on the brand and type of tires (especially when it comes to all terrains vs what comes on the Ascent). Kumho seems to be a safe match for sizes being "correct", so do the Continental TerrainContacts. OTOH, as mentioned, the Yokos are meatier beyond the measurements. There are other brands people have reported that problem with as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any issues with the 22's and this tire size? Rubbing, turning, how's the ride compared to the 20's? Does running this tire and wheel size throw any sensors or traction control? Will it void a warranty with the tranny issues circulating? Really like the set up, and considering running it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would you guys consider putting in OEM 18in STi wheels with beefier tires for the Ascent. I have this idea to keep everything "Subaru" lol. Plus, it would probably look really nice the Ascent would have STi wheels. Anyway, just wanted to get opinions on this or if this is even possible. TIA

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Most STI rims are not load rated high enough. It's a much lighter car.

Would you guys consider putting in OEM 18in STi wheels with beefier tires for the Ascent. I have this idea to keep everything "Subaru" lol. Plus, it would probably look really nice the Ascent would have STi wheels. Anyway, just wanted to get opinions on this or if this is even possible. TIA

·
Administrator
11,089 Posts
Bad things can happen.

What are possible consequences if an Sti wheels put in a Subaru Ascent? Could you give some examples. Thanks
Sure. On a bump or hard corner, they shatter or explode into pieces or shards, you potentially rip off the hub, you possibly lose control of the car, and you do some serious damage to the car, and hopefully not to you.

Or, if you're lucky, they bend, and just make the car really difficult to control and ridiculously bumpy (which can cause other damage, but usually isn't catastrophic unless it causes you to lose control).

Some people get lucky. Some rims have a safety margin or design that far exceeds what they were tested for. But, there's zero way of knowing that except for going through the entire testing procedures on an under-rated rim. I won't take that chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.