Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are lots of threads for complaining about bad mileage. I thought I would start one for those of us the get good mileage and see if anyone has helpful hints on how to improve mpg.

Personally I see good mileage around 25 mpg on the average.

I travel about 100 miles a day just going to work and back. So I don’t take short trips very often which helps with the mileage.

Anyone else or am I alone on this one?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
Yes Robert, I also have no complaints about gas mileage. We recently returned from a 10 week 8,000 mile trip that included about 6 weeks of all city driving in Sacramento, Los Angeles & San Diego CA. Our overall mileage was 24.2 mpg. On one 400 mile leg we got 27.7 with most of the long highway legs returning around 25 depending on the wind and terrain. All of this was on 87 octane gas.

During the times we were doing all city, short trip driving we were getting about 20 mpg which is right on target.

My driving style is pretty conservative, I can remember only about 3 times that I felt the fake shifting and those were when getting on short on-ramps onto busy highways. I think driving style is a contributing factor along with the length of trips, temperature and terrain.

Thanks for starting this thread, hope you get more positive responses.

I would also add that we had zero problems with the Accent over the whole trip. Drove out of our Michigan driveway with 1,400 miles on the odo and returned with almost 10,000.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently got back from a trip from New York City to Park City, Utah for a week of skiing, then back to Summit County, CO (via Zion National Park) for two weeks of skiing and back to New York (with a stop to visit mom in Wichita, KS).
Total of 5,960 miles in all sorts of bad weather, and days of puttering to and from the lifts in mountain towns with 10+" of snow on the ground. Trip average was 24.4. Best was 30 going along the front range from Colorado Springs up through Montana (until I started going uphill). Pretty pleased with the mileage and the capability of the car in some nasty weather.

Reactions: RobertD

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
My gas mileage is great, if I cared... even with my all terrains. I can beat rated without much effort. Alas, I beat the heck out of my Ascent, and am at a combined 19.4mpg over almost 20,000 miles. But, every now and then, I do a couple tank fulls with fuel economy in mind, and get 21.5-24mpg, even with NY Metro Area's horrendous stop and go traffic, making most of my driving "city" type driving.

Learning that throttle and the turbo tip-in point is absolute key, as is using ECO mode for Adaptive Cruise Control if one is constantly following variable speed traffic (though that might piss off the people behind you).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. After seeing the mileage the you folks get in the city, mountains and bad weather and deep snow, I beginning to think I’m not trying hard enough. I live in flat lands and no snow but Houston is known for traffic.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's all on HOW you drive and WHERE you drive. Most of my time is "in town". Some trips suck others are great - depending on whether I travel East or go West. One way is up the other down.

I just returned from a 650 mile trip from TN to PA and back. Traveling north, for the whole trip I got 28 mpg. Coming home, I got 25 mpg. I traveled the exact same roads, same speed limits and cruise was always set at 8 mph over the limit. Back to reality and in town driving only, I dropped to 18 mpg.

Most all of my driving is in town, but the trips take me to slightly over 22 mpg since purchase. The OBD Code Scanner I use also shows "how I drive". Generally, I'm 30% better than the average driver on acceleration, breaking, etc.

No complaints here. Just wanted to show how mileage varies.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
I'm hoping that I'll be posting success in this thread once my Ascent arrives. I typically get far better fuel economy than other family members in the same vehicle simply because I have a light-foot and tend to be a "natural semi-hyper-miler". That said, I don't put on the highway miles anymore since retirement, so that's going to have some level of impact on my average. Time will tell...

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I have a light-foot and tend to be a "natural semi-hyper-miler".
Jim, for the last 15 years my wife's cars have been Honda hybrids and we have a running competition to see who can get the best mpgs on trips we frequent make. Her Accord is rated at 50 mpg city, 48 mpg highway and she holds the record for highway at 55 mpg for the 100 mile run up to the in laws. I hold the record for city trips at 68 mpg for the 14 mile trip to my golf course that includes 15 stop lights. These were summer trips, winter knocks off about 10 mpg.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I can get good gas mileage in my Ascent if I take care to stay under 2,500 rpm and under 75mph. 25-28mpg highway doing that.

I just love the Turbo waaaay to darn much and am willing to pay for it. That said I usually still get 21-22mpg.

2,400 mile road trip to Texas and back I averaged 20 even. But I was also on rural highways doing triple digits at times. Well worth the gas for the time savings :D . The Ascent was great on the highway.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
Jim, for the last 15 years my wife's cars have been Honda hybrids and we have a running competition to see who can get the best mpgs on trips we frequent make. Her Accord is rated at 50 mpg city, 48 mpg highway and she holds the record for highway at 55 mpg for the 100 mile run up to the in laws. I hold the record for city trips at 68 mpg for the 14 mile trip to my golf course that includes 15 stop lights. These were summer trips, winter knocks off about 10 mpg.
When Professor Dr. SWMBO was driving Prii, I got better mileage. Same has been the case with the Outbacks. :) Even just going to the grocery store I raise her vehicles average noticeably. LOL My brakes last a lot longer, too, both compared to her and to my daughter. In fact, the 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit I just sold on Friday still had original brakes on the front at 108K miles and they still pass inspection. The rears would have made it, too, but there was a caliper mounting bolt that snapped at 88K requiring replacement due to scoring when things let loose. Clearly, I never used them very much anyway. :) (Although to be up front, a lot of that mileage was highway for work prior to retirement)

Winter does do a number on mileage, between the "winter formula fuel", remote starts and so forth...

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can get good gas mileage in my Ascent if I take care to stay under 2,500 rpm and under 75mph. 25-28mpg highway doing that.

I just love the Turbo waaaay to darn much and am willing to pay for it. That said I usually still get 21-22mpg.

2,400 mile road trip to Texas and back I averaged 20 even. But I was also on rural highways doing triple digits at times. Well worth the gas for the time savings :D . The Ascent was great on the highway.
I'm with you. Real world speeds here are at least 10 over if not 20 on the expressways. Also, like you I like to get on it with the turbo and TQ that comes on quick

·
Registered
18 Posts
I made about a 150 mile trip from rural Texas north of Houston thru Houston to the south side. It included rolling country roads (all paved), thru small towns, and out onto I45 and thru Houston. I got 28 mpg according to the car's computer. I did make an effort to get the best mileage I could. Then I made a few trips to the corner store, and finally on the way home, I didn't care about mileage all that much and ended up with a little over 24 mpg for the trip. I have about 1500 miles on the Ascent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was averaging 23.5 since I got the car, with just over 3000 miles. Then my wife had an accident (not her fault) and drove the Ascent. It fell to 23.3, which is where it is today. This is suburban driving, very little interstate or limited access highway. I've yet to take it on a road trip.

I also owned a Saturn Outlook, which was very similar to the Ascent. Both cars could get (IMO) very good gas mileage if you babied the throttle, and stayed off the accelerator when you didn't need to accelerate. In other words both cars coast very well, and will maintain their speed on flats and gradual downhills. And then find the sweet spot in the torque range on uphills.

BTW, the Ascent replaced a BMW 335i and two Mustangs, so I certainly don't drive slow. I just don't floorboard the Ascent at every light like I did for those three cars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Reading this thread is giving me hope... picked up the car 2 weeks ago, after the first fill up, we're averaging 16.7mpg. Trying to keep it at low rpms but I don't want the ECM to think this is my "driving habit". The way the CVT shifts through the gears already bothers the **** out of me. I just need to get this thing on the highway and take a trip some where for the weekend to see how it does on the hwy.

Sidenote: My Lexus ISF which is a V8, I'm averaging 21.7mpg hahaha

·
Registered
34 Posts
When driving the car after parking it for a long while (either overnight or at work), do you let it idle to warm up the engine? If yes, for how long? Do you actually see a difference in gas mileage whether you idle to "warm up" first or not?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When driving the car after parking it for a long while (either overnight or at work), do you let it idle to warm up the engine? If yes, for how long? Do you actually see a difference in gas mileage whether you idle to "warm up" first or not?
Funny you should ask...Wednesday I filled up on my way home reset the meter and only put 4 miles on the car and had 31.4 mpg on that short drive. The next morning I started the car and while it warmed up the ave mpg was ticking down quickly by tenths. I found it rather funny to watch. It went down to about 18.5 mpg before I got moving.

To actually answer your question I just let it warm up for a minute while plugging in my phone, setting waze to my destination, making sure the radio is where I want it and putting on my seatbelt. Then I drive a couple miles keeping the revs down until I am out of the neighborhood. I live in the south where we only have a few days below freezing and then I park in the barn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've had ours for about two months now, and we're seeing a pretty consistent 22-23 mpg, with a mix of in town, country roads and expressway. My wife is on the Ascent's first real road trip, from Michigan to Kentucky, and I'll have to see what she got.

As a comparison, last week I had to drive from Michigan to Wisconsin for work, 6 hours each way, and my firm rented me an AWD Explorer. I averaged about 20mpg with 99% freeway driving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We've had ours for about two months now, and we're seeing a pretty consistent 22-23 mpg, with a mix of in town, country roads and expressway. My wife is on the Ascent's first real road trip, from Michigan to Kentucky, and I'll have to see what she got.

As a comparison, last week I had to drive from Michigan to Wisconsin for work, 6 hours each way, and my firm rented me an AWD Explorer. I averaged about 20mpg with 99% freeway driving.
Replying to myself... She says they got 28mpg on the six hour freeway drive, with four in the car.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts