Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@DanLee question about your camper. Can you setup solo? I could probably live with a pop-up if it doesn't require 2 people to setup.
The Aliner is easily set up by one person in less than five minutes. Unhook, level with tongue jack, deploy stabilizers, undo the two catches, push up on roof until it locks into place, open door, lift right wall and latch into place, do same with left wall, and you're done. If you have dormers, that's an additional two steps. Check You Tube for videos showing how easy it is.

We had a Coleman popup for 30 years which took more effort than the Aliner. It was a great little camper that we used all over the country, but when we hit our 70s we decided to give it to our daughter and look at something else. We thought we would go with a Scamp or similar, but once we saw how easily the Aliner set up, we went for it. We prefer one with dormers because it gives much better air flow than the ones with bubble windows, plus I'm a bit tall and prone to whacking my head on things. The dormers add headroom over the bed and the dining table, just where I need it.

The fact that it folds down for travel definitely helps with gas mileage. Weight of our model is around 1,800 lbs, give or take. The Ascent hardly knows it's there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a couple days of in-town driving (without the camper attached) I filled the tank at 344.6 miles. It took 16.1 gallons. Calculator says I managed to eke out 21.4 miles per gallon. Not too bad with hauling just under an extra ton.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This trip was mostly on flat ground on older divided highways with a 60 MPH speed limit. Even on interstate highways I don't exceed 65 MPH because of the speed rating on our trailer's tires. I just stay in the right lane and plod along.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on towing and gas mileage. While our last trip involved flat ground, this one took us into the mountains with some steep and twisty roads. This time we got 17 mpg over a 160 mile trip. Not terrible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts