Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In have not been on in awhile and was hoping maybe Jim, Robert or anybody else can direct me to any updates i can tell the dealership to perform to help with the rough transmission, low speed shutter, or updates to make the CVT smoother or engine turbo tip in a little smoother. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Nick

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
In have not been on in awhile and was hoping maybe Jim, Robert or anybody else can direct me to any updates i can tell the dealership to perform to help with the rough transmission, low speed shutter, or updates to make the CVT smoother or engine turbo tip in a little smoother. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Nick
what year Ascent?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
It is a 2020 limited. Sorry for not including that.
no known issues with the 2020 CVT that I recall reading about here. It may very well be a one off for your unit only. If it is obvious, the dealer should be able to reproduce it and work with Subaru of America on a fix. It may involve programming. You might try driving another 2020 on their lot to compare the two.

I have a 2019.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no known issues with the 2020 CVT that I recall reading about here. It may very well be a one off for your unit only. If it is obvious, the dealer should be able to reproduce it and work with Subaru of America on a fix. It may involve programming. You might try driving another 2020 on their lot to compare the two.

I have a 2019.
It's in the shop now and we are waiting for it. I will quiz them on what they do and ask to drive another one of the 2020,s If I have a fix or even an updat I will let you know. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
It's in the shop now and we are waiting for it. I will quiz them on what they do and ask to drive another one of the 2020,s If I have a fix or even an updat I will let you know. Thank you.
the cvt related issues for the 2019 involved the wiring harness. The cvt itself was fine unless the defective harness damaged the cvt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the cvt related issues for the 2019 involved the wiring harness. The cvt itself was fine unless the defective harness damaged the cvt.
I read all of them. I was hoping maybe some of you guys had heard of any updates for the 2020 model year to smooth out the rough shifting and vibrations from torque converter coming in way too soon.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,120 Posts
There are a plethora of threads on this board related to complaints about the CVT's programming. Unfortunately, I don't think any software updates have been released by Subaru to smooth some of the rough edges in operation. Folks with 2021s note the weird throttle mapping and awkward-in-some-circumstances CVT programming.

Please do press the dealer about it and please do write a letter to Subaru of America if you haven't already done so. The more people complain about this, the more likely Subaru will be to invest resources into making it better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a plethora of threads on this board related to complaints about the CVT's programming. Unfortunately, I don't think any software updates have been released by Subaru to smooth some of the rough edges in operation. Folks with 2021s note the weird throttle mapping and awkward-in-some-circumstances CVT programming.

Please do press the dealer about it and please do write a letter to Subaru of America if you haven't already done so. The more people complain about this, the more likely Subaru will be to invest resources into making it better.
I wrote a long letter about this as this is my 6th Subaru. You commented on it and I appreciated your response. I will press them again on the issue and let you know. Thanks again..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote a long letter about this as this is my 6th Subaru. You commented on it and I appreciated your response. I will press them again on the issue and let you know. Thanks again..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2020 touring and I had the same issues you mentioned - really bad low speed shudder especially when turning and accelerating and some really bad jerk shudder around 50-60mph when slightly accelerating. They had to take apart the center diff and replace the clutches. My service report reads "Tested and found the center differential transfer clutches to be defective and require replacement". This has greatly improved overall feel of the transmission, however, it's not completely resolved and I'm losing the will to continue to drive to the dealer and hope they can reproduce it as it is not constant any more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts