Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
General thread update:

The actual sliding/venting (moving) portion of the Ascent's panoramic moonroof assembly is also made of LAMINATED glass.

So, I don't know if this has to do with the fact that my wife's current '16 WRX still has tempered glass in its door windows....

The mooroof in her vehicle - "standard" in size (i.e. not a panoramic or part of a moving/stationary panoramic) is tempered glass, not laminated.

I'll be having a look on the '19 WRX in a few more days, as we prep for her '16's lease-end.

Takes one to know one :smile_big: - but smart, I sadly ain't, as my wife and now-teenaged-daughter tells me routinely!!!! :grin:

-----

It comes from having played with it for a bit. :tango_face_wink:

I still carry the resqme (either exit from inside via third-row/standard moonroof or the need for ingress from the third-row [previously for my young daughter, but now for my pet - the former in case I also had my wallet in the vehicle [I used to carry a "flat key" for entry if I managed to lock the key/fob inside the car, and the child was strapped into her child-seat], the latter in case I freak out and could not properly access the trunk via code entry...yup, I'm pretty realistic about my contingencies :eek:]), but I would recommend brute-force for the backup. Even a claw hammer (items like the "Trucker's Friend" are great *if* you can generate enough force to swing it, but this is very hard to do from inside the confines of a vehicle, even for physically fit, able-bodied folks) will be more effective than the resqme or a plastic-bodied carbide-tipped (or worse yet, "stainless steel" tipped tools that do not actually come to a point [those that do come to a fine point- like a simple spring-loaded centerpunch from the hardware store - are perfectly usable, but many times, the flea-market/dollar-store items are just made to look good]) breaker-tool at getting us past the laminated side glass - but be sure you mount it with the collision contingency in-mind.

Practice a bit to see how you can maneuver your body in your vehicle (right side up, of-course :tango_face_wink:) to be able to align your feet with the windows while bracing your upper body to generate the force necessary to punch out the laminated side glass after you've managed to shatter it with your claw hammer (or other brute-force tool). It's nearly impossible for most of us to practice anything of the sort upside-down, so just put it into your mind now that if you do end up upside-down, you need to brace prior to cutting your seat-belt so that you can "fall" as safely as possible, before you start extricating yourself from the interior. Remember, the body will not go where the mind has not, so even if you cannot physically practice these events, imagine the scenario as realistically as possible, and envision yourself doing the movements.

-----

I really thought that the third row glass as well as the standard moonroof glass are both tempered, with the rest laminated. :dunno: I'll try and check in a bit, later today!

The only thing that has a "Tempered" glass labeled on it in the Touring are the two tiny triangular type windows by the side view mirrors (they don't open) but do say Tempered

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/laminated-glass-reduce-risk-exploding-sunroofs/
"Subaru: The company uses laminated glass for panoramic sunroofs in its Forester and Ascent models, and said that in vehicles with large sunroofs, “the laminated glass can help minimize chances of occupant ejection.” Other models currently use tempered glass."

^ Ah! Thank you! :thumbsup:

----

The only thing that has a "Tempered" glass labeled on it in the Touring are the two tiny triangular type windows by the side view mirrors (they don't open) but do say Tempered

Lemmie tell ya, I can fit through those, so no worries! :smile_big:

Reactions: kathytn
^ Dude, what happened to that guy?!!! He, like, aged 20 years in 2!!!!!

My wife said that I might be like Jackie Chan and Jet Li ---->

Carded until I was 25..............

Then age all my years at once! :dunno::eek::smile_big:

Reactions: kathytn
BTW, for those who take a punch to the junkyard to play......

Be sure that you've got other copies for actual emergency use. Using the punch in practice - much as using a tourniquet in practice will place strains upon its material (and windlass mechanism) - will dull its tip, and can render the punch less effective or completely ineffective.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.