Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had fun with the Ascent on Monday. Ending up ditching it on my road it was so stuck. Too deep of snow and this thing won't move an inch! Here are some fun pictures from the day. I never thought I'd say it, but dang this car would be nice with a couple inch lift..

·
Registered
3,965 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Do you have winter tires on it? Because there is no way all season's can handle that amount of snow.
The OP will need to answer definitively, but from blowing up the pictures, they look to be the factory Falkens.

Not that winter tires would necessarily have been much help if the car was high-centered. My dropped LGT was able to handle a lot in deep-winter mode with premium studded winters (I switched between seasonal "summers" to "Performance Winters" to studded winters - yes three sets), but high-centering was simply high-centering.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The OP will need to answer definitively, but from blowing up the pictures, they look to be the factory Falkens.

Not that winter tires would necessarily have been much help if the car was high-centered. My dropped LGT was able to handle a lot in deep-winter mode with premium studded winters (I switched between seasonal "summers" to "Performance Winters" to studded winters - yes three sets), but high-centering was simply high-centering.
You can read Falken on the sidewall. But yes, agreed, high-center tires make no difference. A lift on the other hand, would definitely help :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah it is the stock tires, budget been tight and got the car in Dec and already put 10k on it so just waiting for these to wear out. Even with winter tires I'd high center as it was so high and this is Sierra cement, it's not dry at all.

This was in Northern Cali and we had 3 feet over 36 hours. We didn't have power for 7 days, just got it back last night.

·
Registered
831 Posts
^ Glad you guys are OK, and that you were able to have some fun, too. :)

Yup, can't do anything if you're high-centered. Tires might have made it so that you could push just a bit farther, but given how much snow and the type of snow, nope, ain't gonna get far unless you had the absolute clearance. :) We only occasionally get that kind of "cement" any more - and only very rarely that much snowfall, but that was precisely what would catch my legacy out. In that little ting, I had to pick my battles sometimes. ;)

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
The Ascent is heavy and powerful enough to easily plow through a foot of snow on good snow tires, or good winter rated all terrains. I've done it a number of times. With such tires, it can easily crest/plow through a half a foot higher.

It's ridiculously easier than plowing through sand, and the Ascent can shovel its way through sand as well (albeit, once tires are aired down).

The stock Falkens do not have enough tread for thick/deep/slushy snow grip to get through anything that deep. It'll be a sloppy ride, and it will get stuck unless one has a lot of momentum.

In this video of the Ascent on Lake Algonquin, in the first 15 seconds, you can barely make out snow mounds on the frozen lake that are over a foot. You can make out the car wiggling left and right (the camera had auto stabilization on, which is muting much of the actual motion). And you can see that the Ascent didn't even slow down for the snow hills. I simply weaved AT them and plowed THROUGH them like they weren't there. Wet, slushy, heavy, snow on a big frozen ice slab on Lake Algonquin. ;)

I'd NEVER do that on the Falkens. I'd never BE ABLE TO do that on the Falkens. ;-)

I was on my former Kumho Road Venture AT51's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd have to disagree with you Robert. While I do agree that good snow tires allow for pushing further, in the snowfall we had with no plowed roads and no tracks snow tires wouldn't have made a huge difference. I had the snow up at the top of the hood at some snow drifts. This isn't light snow either, it is called Sierra cement for a reason.

Also I live on a dirt and gravel road, so even with snow tires if it dug down you'd just be stuck. Right now I have the stocks aired down to 24 psi each and I am getting over 1' ice no problem.

I do agree if it's 1 foot of snow, yes snow tires help a lot. 2-3 feet... Nothing helps.

·
Administrator
11,372 Posts
I'd have to disagree with you Robert. While I do agree that good snow tires allow for pushing further, in the snowfall we had with no plowed roads and no tracks snow tires wouldn't have made a huge difference. I had the snow up at the top of the hood at some snow drifts.
Umm, I said a foot of snow, not three, lol. So, I don't think you're disagreeing with me.

I've done everything I mentioned multiple times, on unplowed roads during blizzards.

But, no, not the three feet you've described.

·
Registered
831 Posts
It's not just the depth/height of the snow - the actual composition matters, too.

The light fluffy stuff? No problem.

The heavy stuff - the ones that bring down not just branches, but TREES and cave-in roofs (yes, raking snow off one's roof is a real thing)?

That's a totally different story.

There's a reason why in the snow-belt, sometimes you hear your neighbors outside with their snowthrowers for only a half-hour...and other times practically the entire morning. :p It's not just the absolute amount on the driveway or walkway: it's also how hard that machine has to work (same when shoveling - I'll do the light and fluffy stuff any day and Sunday, but 3 to 4 inches of the wet and heavy stuff, I'm ready to pay the neighborhood kids for!).

This is also why it's so hard to test winter tires objectively.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts