Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Super Moderator
Also empty on mine.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

That looks like it would be a good spot to keep a locking lug nut key

Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
I'm curious what the tool on the right is. I noticed it for the first time the other day when I was changing a flat, and I couldn't figure out what to do with that one. :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Inside the rear hatch in one of the compartments I see 2 tools here and one empty space.on the left. Am I missing a tool?
Thank you!
I have most or almost all of the factory installable options.
Curious if anyone has anything there.
It's too small for the hex key w/handle that comes with the crossbars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Super Moderator
I'm curious what the tool on the right is. I noticed it for the first time the other day when I was changing a flat, and I couldn't figure out what to do with that one. :unsure:
It's the rear towing hook, screws into your rear bumper.
Haha. Mine is still in there because I forgot about it after installing the tow hitch. No need for it now!

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
Yes, Subaru tends to provide a "screw in" recovery hook, but once they OEM hitch receiver is installed, the mounting point is not there anymore. A 2" receiver Shackle is what many of us carry for the purpose.

Reactions: xydadx3 and TSiWRX

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nothing there in a US Touring in either MY19 or MY21.

Can put the bumper cover hiding the recovery point there during use.
Thank you at least that sounds plausible!

My '14 Outback had an obviously crafted cubby with some sort of clip under the center console lid. Never was able to figure out / find out what that was for. It was way too big and awkward location for garage door opener, plus I had Homelink, and it was too short for a phone.

Super Moderator
While looking for a part for my door I ran across this diagram on parts.subaru.com
Font Parallel Slope Auto part Engineering

It clearly shows 2 somethings there, "Driver PLUS and MINUS"...
But its unavailable
Brown Rectangle Beige Font Pattern

Searching the part number resulted in Subaru screwdriver, which is the part on the right, but nothing else 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Reactions: TSiWRX

Registered
^ "Plus" for "+" for Phillips....

"Minus for "-" for straight.

The illustration seems to suggest that it's an interchangeable shaft (on which one side is Phillips, and the other, straight) screwdriver...I know I have one with a high visibility handle in my vehicle, but I can't seem to remember if another also comes with?

Super Moderator

Sounds like something my kids would say! It does make sense though

• Haha

Registered
^ It also translates in Mandarin Chinese, which is my native tongue. :)

Not sure if it's actually what it's called, but my father always referred to the Phillips as a "ten character" in Chinese, which is why the "Plus" description made sense to me.

And before you ask, the answer is "YES." Yes, all fathers across all cultures yell at their kids about where to hold that flashlight.

Cloud Wood Font Tints and shades Eyewear

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)

The illustration seems to suggest that it's an interchangeable shaft (on which one side is Phillips, and the other, straight) screwdriver...I know I have one with a high visibility handle in my vehicle, but I can't seem to remember if another also comes with?
I've seen that little ditty many times and it does reflect things well.

As and aside, I don't like either Phillips or Straight...I'm a square/Robertson and torx/start drive fan. Then again, I also prefer metric. LOL But ya gotta have what you are faced with.

• Haha

Super Moderator
As and aside, I don't like either Phillips or Straight...I'm a square/Robertson and torx/start drive fan. Then again, I also prefer metric. LOL But ya gotta have what you are faced with.
Further aside, I've been looking for some metric phillips bits. Let me know if you find any please?
I do feel a little bad for mr phillips. He was king over flatheads for a while. Now it seems everything is moving toward square or torx, which makes sense because I've stripped way less screw heads with those!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.