Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just towed home our new camper with the Ascent. 2020 Rockwood Geo Pro 15TB. This is a pretty light camper, but the Ascent tows great! Made it up and down the Utah mountains with no issues.

I could hear the transmission fan running when I got home, but it definitely wasn't too hot. And it felt nice and smooth even at 70-75MPH.

I know some people are towing the bigger Geo Pros with Ascents. They're great trailers.

Mike

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Just a word of caution from someone who tows many miles every year. You mentioned about how well it towed at 70-75 mph. Just ensure the speed rating on your trailer's tires are rated for that speed. Many/most trailer's sold today have stock tires rated for no more than 65 mph, some less, and driving faster than a tire's rated speed rating leads to many tire failures. Other than that, that's a nice looking trailer - enjoy.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
Just a word of caution from someone who tows many miles every year, you mentioned about how well it towed at 70-75 mph. Just ensure the speed rating on your trailer's tires are rated for that speed. Many/most trailer's sold today have stock tires rated for no more than 65 mph, some less, and driving in excess of a tire's rated speed rating leads to many tire failures.
This is good advise. It's a best practice to travel at a little more modest speed when towing a travel trailer or other types of trailers that have major wind factors and weight. In many other parts of the world from North America, anyone towing is required to maintain a much lower speed than they can when not towing for safety reasons. The bottom line for everyone should be tow smart and tow safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice... our trailer has off-road tires so they're actually speed rating "L" (75 MPH). We generally stick with 65-70 though -- the only reason we drove 75 was to test for trailer sway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We have a NuCamp 400 with solar and boondock package wet weight 3,195 loaded about 3,800. We go everywhere with it, the most adventures is our ranch in the Monzano mt’s in New Mexico. 20 milles from closest road almost straight up hill.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
You mean like in California?
I've never towed anything in California, but if that's how they set things up relative to speed, I'm all for it, personally. My opinion (which wouldn't likely be popular with many folks) is that too many folks tow things like travel trailers way faster than is best for overall safety. Of course, I feel that way about travel in general. Too many folks consider the posted limit "a suggestion".

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Having lived, driven and towed there, it sucks. The 20 mph speed disparity on interstates between cars and trucks/trailers contributes to accidents, IMO. Of course they do have legal lane splitting for motorcycles, which is awesome and contributes to safety, at least according to the CHP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.