Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hellooooo forum!

I did a search and found a few threads on beach driving, but also some unanswered questions. Thought I'd start something new, maybe we can compile resources in one place.

I'm fresh off of a horrible experience getting STUCK stuck in the sand last weekend (it was NOT my Subaru lol), I've decided to outfit my Sub with the optimum gear for driving on sand -think Washington, Oregon, California coasts (so the more firm wet stuff, but will need to be able to survive the dry loose stuff to get there, park, get back to the wet stuff).

I have the 2019 Touring, so the 20" tires...so that as a starter freaks me out because I'm not sure how far I can safely air them down. I'm considering purchasing some 18" wheels anyway so I can get some great winter / snow tires for our skiing adventures, so the purchase of some great off road / sand tires aren't out of the question.

So far on my "gear up" list I have:
-MaxTrax
-Kinetic recovery / snatch rope, sized for both my Subaru and the 4WD truck that will replace the stupid 2WD truck that got stuck this weekend (lol sorry, still annoyed)
-Shackle Hitch for the Sub, and one for the 4WD when I get it
-More shackles / D rings
-Compressor for airing back up once off the sand
-tires - I think it would be very cool to get a set for sand, but I'm not having great luck finding something that is not $500/tire. Needs more research unless someone has an awesome suggestion.
Suggested items from posters (which I will add!)
-5 gallon bucket for carrying water
-plywood or wood platform for jack placement if needed

Big wish list items: LP Adventure lift, bumper guard, and other fun things :)

Better tow hook / attachment point for the front....I've been all in the manual and all it says about the front tow issue is "The front towing hook is located on the bottom of the body on the front left side of the vehicle." Thanks, Subaru? Nothing about if that is an ok recovery strap point or....?

I'd like to keep a good front tow hook and whatever else I need to make that work inside, I just haven't quite figured out what that is. If I do get stuck in sand and need a recovery from the front, I don't want to be ripping things apart when I'm snatched out of the sand. One thing this weekend gave me a serious appreciation of was the energy needed to pull a heavy truck that is realllyyyyy stuck out of sand. If that ever happens to my Subaru, I want to make sure the tether / tie locations are appropriate and I don't yank the poor thing to pieces (I hear you guys now - "geez how stuck are you planning on getting?!" Not that stuck, I just want to be able to drive to the beach and not have a heart attack. We were almost "that guy" that gets their truck sucked into the ocean (and I now have a referral for an EXCELLENT emergency beach tow in Washington / Westport, so you know...haha) and I never want to feel that kind of panic again.

Here is what we call "The Sub" after a nice bath.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Don't forget to look into skid plates. I have the Primitive Racing skids (front, center and rear) on my Ascent, and hundreds of beach and desert sand miles. Air down on fine sand beaches and sand pits like in Ocala National Forest, Outer Banks, and Long Island's south shore beaches, and the Ascent is a beast.

I use the OEM hitch and a hitch shackle for towing others out who got stuck (yes, my Ascent has never gotten stuck, anywhere).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't forget to look into skid plates. I have the Primitive Racing skids (front, center and rear) on my Ascent, and hundreds of beach and desert sand miles. Air down on fine sand beaches and sand pits like in Ocala National Forest, Outer Banks, and Long Island's south shore beaches, and the Ascent is a beast.

I use the OEM hitch and a hitch shackle for towing others out who got stuck (yes, my Ascent has never gotten stuck, anywhere).

Thank you! They are in my future goals of that LP Adventure set up, but maybe I should accelerate and just do the skid plates first! That would be easy. These videos are awesome.

For the 20s, how far do you air down?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thank you! They are in my future goals of that LP Adventure set up, but maybe I should accelerate and just do the skid plates first! That would be easy. These videos are awesome.

For the 20s, how far do you air down?
20 psi for the 20's. Another guy in my area is still on stock and hitting the beach regularly. I do suggest better tires with more sidewall, especially if you plan on doing the things I do.

Though, honestly, no one should do the things I do to an Ascent... :ROFLMAO:

Falken has two great options, and my friends at @Discount Tire can get you them or other options, and help you find the right rims to put them on. If you message them from here, Matt is intimately aware of what can fit on the Ascent and what works well. I'm the very first Ascent on the planet running 17"s and all terrains, and probably the very first production Ascent to go off roading, days after release - and it was Discount Tire who helped me get my setup together (and test and research a gazillion rims so all of you didn't have to).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
20 psi for the 20's. Another guy in my area is still on stock and hitting the beach regularly. I do suggest better tires with more sidewall, especially if you plan on doing the things I do.

Though, honestly, no one should do the things I do to an Ascent... :ROFLMAO:

Falken has two great options, and my friends at @Discount Tire can get you them or other options, and help you find the right rims to put them on. If you message them from here, Matt is intimately aware of what can fit on the Ascent and what works well. I'm the very first Ascent on the planet running 17"s and all terrains, and probably the very first production Ascent to go off roading, days after release - and it was Discount Tire who helped me get my setup together (and test and research a gazillion rims so all of you didn't have to).
You're awesome, I used to live in Burbank and LOVED my direct tire, but I will for sure use your referral :) I'm thinking 18" wheels + a set of beach tires + a set of snow tires as my ultimate goal :)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
FYI there is a you tube fellow that is in Australia that has lots of videos on beach driving and how to get unstuck and compares the two traction matts I mentioned. He has real good practical Tips and advice all with a down under accent. His you tube channel is “Seek Adventure“.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
If you want to use your jack cut a piece of plywood to stick under it. Also one of those folding shovels is handy!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Oh, and just an FYI... you definitely picked the right color for beach sunset photography (or pretty much any Ascent and sunset shot). ;-)

The color is like an HDR mirror...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and just an FYI... you definitely picked the right color for beach sunset photography (or pretty much any Ascent and sunset shot). ;-)

Ohhhhh thank you so much! You know, not long ago, I was having some second thoughts and thinking I should have gone with the black. This makes me feel MUCH better! :)

I'm continuing to update the list in my OP so this can be a quick resource for others, too.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Ohhhhh thank you so much! You know, not long ago, I was having some second thoughts and thinking I should have gone with the black. This makes me feel MUCH better! :)

I'm continuing to update the list in my OP so this can be a quick resource for others, too.
The forum software keeps flagging your updates as spam (and your original post, for that matter). I will keep approving the changes, so, if you don't see any responses or reactions, don't worry, I'll get to the approval list.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's so weird! I wonder if it is a setting on my end...hmmm....I'm also on the Backpacker forums, I'll have to go post and see if I get flagged.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
That's so weird! I wonder if it is a setting on my end...hmmm....I'm also on the Backpacker forums, I'll have to go post and see if I get flagged.
It's not you - it's the number of links and the topic.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I just got back from the beach. Helped get a Mercedes unstuck. 4Matic ended up being NoMotion. 😉

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
That mercedes driver looks SO happy :ROFLMAO:

I've been meaning to get some opinions on this for a while. I've seen a number of pictures of shackles on hitches just for situations like @Robert.Mauro's post above. They all appear to be purpose built hitch attachments with the shackle mounted horizontally. However, I put a shackle where the ball would've gone on the oem drop hitch attachment. Other than a less clean look is there anything inherently wrong with that setup? I wasn't using it for anything else so I figured I'd repurpose it. The only thing I've pulled so far is my '98 Bimmer when it broke down about a mile from home.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Love this! Which basket do you have? I've been looking at a bunch of them and can't make up my mind.
Rola basket from Amazon. Thule has a far nicer one.

·
Registered
146 Posts

View attachment 4504
Robert, would you mind linking the shackle you use and measure how much it extends past the bumper? I want to add a shackle for semi permanent use but have an extremely tight garage, with only a couple of inches to spare..... thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts