Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Example:
Car is in garage, I start car and wait until warmed up.
When I shifting out of PARK into DRIVE the gears clank loudly.
Ascent doesn’t always have this experience.
dealer always tells me that there is no issue with Ascent. Uhhh.
However, the mechanic must do something to my rig - the transmission runs smoothly (Temporarily.)

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
That's very likely your parking pawl. I go into detail about it in other threads. Short version is, with newer and more strict regulations regarding the parking pawl, newer cars are more likely to experience torque bind. Our manuals instruct properly using the parking brake at all times to avoid that exact situation. Our parking brakes require being set with our foots on the foot brake, and the foot brake being held for as much as 3ish seconds while the electronic parking brake fully engages. Once the brake servo stops, we can remove our foot from the foot brake, and exit the car.

The slightest of inclines, or simply the motion of the car when a door is opened or shut, can catch it on the parking pawl.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Example:
Car is in garage, I start car and wait until warmed up.
When I shifting out of PARK into DRIVE the gears clank loudly.
Ascent doesn’t always have this experience.
dealer always tells me that there is no issue with Ascent. Uhhh.
However, the mechanic must do something to my rig - the transmission runs smoothly (Temporarily.)
I live in Northern Nevada, cold mornings @ 32" for 6 months of the year! Exact same issue but only when engine is cold started and initial idle RPM's are high and I shift into gear! Once the engine idle RPM's decrease to normal I no longer have the "loud clank" when shifting into gear. Issue started @ around 2,000 miles, I now have 9,300 miles on car. I plan to have the dealer address the issue after I do my 12,000 oil change!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts