Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)?

I was remembering when I first got my DSLR camera, I got GAS, trying to buy all the lenses, bags, straps, lighting etc. right away. Now I think I have this problem with my new Ascent. I keep buying stuff for it and don't even think twice. I just dropped $120 on 2 reverse lights and 4 vanity lights. Previously bought seat protectors for under 2 child car seats. Previously bought and replaced all map, dome, trunk lights, etc. I have the cargo door light for the Forester that fits in the Ascent door on backorder. I bought Weathertech bumper license plate holders. I need to stop!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Anyone else got Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS)?

I was remembering when I first got my DSLR camera, I got GAS, trying to buy all the lenses, bags, straps, lighting etc. right away. Now I think I have this problem with my new Ascent. I keep buying stuff for it and don't even think twice. I just dropped $120 on 2 reverse lights and 4 vanity lights. Previously bought seat protectors for under 2 child car seats. Previously bought and replaced all map, dome, trunk lights, etc. I have the cargo door light for the Forester that fits in the Ascent door on backorder. I bought Weathertech bumper license plate holders. I need to stop!
LOL, yeah!!
I may not have the same syndrome, but similar one. I only buy things which I don't need to use any tools like windshield reflectors, seat cover protector etc. But I'm more into the cleaning stuff and I bought few things on Amazon prime day and today 303 interior cleaning product :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Victor, I'm CJ....I have GAS! I don't even have my Ascent yet. However, I have a whole box of stuff in my basement that I have already bought in anticipation of the 'big day'. And it keeps getting bigger. We are not alone!

Reactions: lassetjus

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, yeah!!
I may not have the same syndrome, but similar one. I only buy things which I don't need to use any tools like windshield reflectors, seat cover protector etc. But I'm more into the cleaning stuff and I bought few things on Amazon prime day and today 303 interior cleaning product :tango_face_wink:

Haha. Thanks for reminding me... I also bought a bunch of cleaning stuff. I've never hand washed my car before but I will for this one. So I got the Meguiars products on Prime day, too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
LOL, yeah!!
Haha. Thanks for reminding me... I also bought a bunch of cleaning stuff. I've never hand washed my car before but I will for this one. So I got the Meguiars products on Prime day, too.
I'm doing the same thing just bought some cleaner for the leather seats and I'm going to try a new product "The Last Coat" to see if it will help keep it looking clean on the outside.

I'm now also debating on getting a foaming cannon as I plan on buying a pressure washer to clean the house.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It makes a life changing difference. Working in back and forth motions instead of circles will leave your paint looking new so much longer. Auto car washes leave swirls in the paint. Especially noticeable on dark colors. I know prime day is over, but get yourself a nice wash mitt, a waffle towel for drying, microfiber for the interior and waxing work, and a good quality wax and or sealant. The two bucket wash method is the way to go. Make sure you get grit guards in each one. Meguiar products are great and so easy to find for the money.

Also even though the car is brand new, try and find some time to clay bar it. After all the transport stuff the paint gets embedded with plenty of junk. It will make the paint so much smoother.

Wash>Clay Bar>Wash>Dry>Seal>Wax

I just bought this sealant and can't wait to try it on the Wife's car first:
https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Synthetic-Sealant-2-0-16/dp/B002J854UC

I'm also excited to try this stuff on the test car:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UMB7WY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would love to have a vehicle so I could at least claim that there's a reason for the itch. Right now I'm just sitting around thinking about all the gear I would buy and not pulling the trigger since I don't whether I've got a month left to wait or 2-3

·
Registered
597 Posts
Also even though the car is brand new, try and find some time to clay bar it. After all the transport stuff the paint gets embedded with plenty of junk. It will make the paint so much smoother.

I used to do this on my WRX twice a year (no sealant) but with a job, house, and kids that is hard to do. Not to mention this car is a lot larger. This is why I might try and Clay it once but I'm going to try some of these spray on type solutions and see if one of them works. Even if I have to apply it frequently that would be better than taking a saturday to clay the car and wax it again.

·
Registered
287 Posts

[/url]
That is a great suggestion
If I have a house and a garage, I would do below once every 4 months or least twice a year
Wash > Clay Bar (physical contamination removal) > Wash > Iron & other contamination removal (chemical) > Wash > Dry > Seal > Wax

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is a great suggestion
If I have a house and a garage, I would do below once every 4 months or least twice a year
Wash > Clay Bar (physical contamination removal) > Wash > Iron & other contamination removal (chemical) > Wash > Dry > Seal > Wax
That is my plan for the Wife's car first. But I would do Wash > IronX > Wash > ClayBar > Wash or Just Dry > Seal > Wax

That way there will be less for the clay to pick up if you IronX before.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to do this on my WRX twice a year (no sealant) but with a job, house, and kids that is hard to do. Not to mention this car is a lot larger. This is why I might try and Clay it once but I'm going to try some of these spray on type solutions and see if one of them works. Even if I have to apply it frequently that would be better than taking a saturday to clay the car and wax it again.
Kids take priority for sure. I'm not there yet so I better get my fill of car washing. Something is always better than nothing. I used to clay bar my crew cab truck twice a year and that felt like a serious arm workout. This is a little smaller, but I should just invest in polisher. The salt crust in the winters around here is serious.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Kids take priority for sure. I'm not there yet so I better get my fill of car washing. Something is always better than nothing. I used to clay bar my crew cab truck twice a year and that felt like a serious arm workout. This is a little smaller, but I should just invest in polisher. The salt crust in the winters around here is serious.

Porter cables are a life saver! Polishes out a good amount of scratches that your arm cant. Still alot of effort and care is needed though. Dont want use too high of a setting and have a burn spot on the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Porter cables are a life saver! Polishes out a good amount of scratches that your arm cant. Still alot of effort and care is needed though. Dont want use too high of a setting and have a burn spot on the car.
Get a dual action polisher! Will eliminate technique and swirl marks if you are not familiar on how to use a rotary polisher.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Go to autogeek.net and you will have a field day on what you want to do to your new Suby for car care! My preference is blackfire products! Just did the ceramic coat on it w/ blackfire!!

Also had XPEL put on the entire front and full hood/fenders. Mirror caps, door caps and rear bumper! Also front window tinted to match the rest!

Now looking to buy a good glass coating and leather protection for it!

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
One thing I didn't like in Ascent is the shift rod. No offense, but It's literally old style. Most of you guys may be used to it or don't bother having a similar thing in your different Subaru, but I really need a leather boot for it. Does anyone know where can I get it and how easy to install?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts