Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know others have posted, but to add to the discussion, we just returned from a 3200 mile round-trip from San Antonio to Fargo, North Dakota to San Antonio Averaged 26.0 mpg. We used mostly E-10 gas, but one tank of #E-15 and two tanks of non-ethanol gas. Because of crazy Texas weather, the last two hundred miles we had a head-wind of 30 - 40 mph. Speeds were mostly the posted speed limit. Car is a 2019 Subaru Ascent with 22k miles now. Gas price ranged from $3.89 when we started to $5.07 (non-ethanol) (mostly $4.69 and $4.79). Question: We had a maximum oil temperature of 216. What is maximum safe oil temperature without towing (or with towing)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know others have posted, but to add to the discussion, we just returned from a 3200 mile round-trip from San Antonio to Fargo, North Dakota to San Antonio Averaged 26.0 mpg. We used mostly E-10 gas, but one tank of #E-15 and two tanks of non-ethanol gas. Because of crazy Texas weather, the last two hundred miles we had a head-wind of 30 - 40 mph. Speeds were mostly the posted speed limit. Car is a 2019 Subaru Ascent with 22k miles now. Gas price ranged from $3.89 when we started to $5.07 (non-ethanol) (mostly $4.69 and $4.79). Question: We had a maximum oil temperature of 216. What is maximum safe oil temperature without towing (or with towing)?
Engine oil or transmission oil (fluid). I think engine oil needs to be hotter to evaporate any water that gets into it (well that is what I remember from shop class which was the better part of 30 years ago). I think for your transmission that's the right temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,385 Posts
E-10 is essentially "normal" regular grade fuel at most stations...

----

OP, that's close to what I generally get when doing highway travel. North of 26 and some tanks as much as 28, but that's rate and "geography" dependent.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
117 Posts
E-10 is essentially "normal" regular grade fuel at most stations...

----

OP, that's close to what I generally get when doing highway travel. North of 26 and some tanks as much as 28, but that's rate and "geography" dependent.
thx !
but I think that ethanol is in all gasoline
The price here goes up from octane number.
And some engines are made just for the expensive one like mine B-9.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx !
The price here goes up from octane number.
And some engines are made just for the expensive one like mine B-9.
Not all gasoline has ethanol - at least that's what it says on the pump (non-ethanol) - but the octane rating is still 87 AND the price is more than E-10.

·
Registered
2021 ascent limited ice silver
117 Posts
Not all gasoline has ethanol - at least that's what it says on the pump (non-ethanol) - but the octane rating is still 87 AND the price is more than E-10.
Last time I checked all types of gasoline 87 90 92-3 octane# have 10%of ethanol .
Difference is only in octane # in here Ill.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,385 Posts
That was kinda what I was saying...

It's also normal/universal for higher octane fuels to cost more. Unless something is posted as ethanol free (which is rare or "not available at all" in most areas) even the highest octane fuels at the pump have up to 10% ethanol in the US.

There was some recent talk in the news about ethanol content being boosted to 15% in some areas...I'll assume to support the corn industry...but it's certainly not making many folks happy. The higher the ethanol percentage in the gasoline, the lower the fuel economy. There's supposed to be a cost benefit to offset that, but, um...well...you know... ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That was kinda what I was saying...

It's also normal/universal for higher octane fuels to cost more. Unless something is posted as ethanol free (which is rare or "not available at all" in most areas) even the highest octane fuels at the pump have up to 10% ethanol in the US.

There was some recent talk in the news about ethanol content being boosted to 15% in some areas...I'll assume to support the corn industry...but it's certainly not making many folks happy. The higher the ethanol percentage in the gasoline, the lower the fuel economy. There's supposed to be a cost benefit to offset that, but, um...well...you know... ;)
I'm only reporting what I experienced. I wish I had taken pictures of the pump.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For comparison, my Dad and I just finished a 3,000 miles trip from east coast to west coast (14 states) in a 2010 Subaru Forester (Automatic). We averaged around 24.5mpg and paid an average of about 4.70/gal. We did have yakima cross bars on the roof during the trip (nothing on them though). Our speed was usually around 76mph (even if the limit was 80, we kept it at 76).

The 26mpg that you got in the Ascent seems like a decent amount considering it's weight and size. Although more is always better. :)

The downside is that we used almost an entire quart of oil (had to keep topping off the oil at basically every fuel stop). Car had brand news tires on it and just had oil changed before we left on the trip.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
469 Posts
I just returned from a +/- 2000 mile round trip from Tulsa, Ok to Waynesville, NC. My 2022 Onyx had 31xx on the odo when I left, 49xx on the return. I got 26.4 MPG on the way out, 27.5 on the return, 75 MPH on cruise control 99% of the time. I'm hoping the MPG continues to increase as the engine breaks in. I'm finally getting more comfortable with the ACC, seems to be "ping-ponging" from white line to white line less than when new, maybe me or maybe it's "learning"?

All and all, I'm happy with the road manners, and the MPG is what I expected from a 2.5 ton barn door.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I got back from 6xx mile round trip road trip last week and somehow managed to get 31mpg (!!!!) on the way home going mostly 40-55mph on backcountry roads.

My buddy who was driving a 2018 forester xt got 28 or 29mpg.

I was super proud of the ascent!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm only reporting what I experienced. I wish I had taken pictures of the pump.
Some areas have "pure gas" or "ethanol free" fuel, sometimes called "marine gas". I use it in gas lawn equipment, as the ETH can cause damage to rubber seals that were not designed for it.

Reactions: Cosmo

·
Registered
469 Posts
I got back from 6xx mile round trip road trip last week and somehow managed to get 31mpg (!!!!) on the way home going mostly 40-55mph on backcountry roads.

My buddy who was driving a 2018 forester xt got 28 or 29mpg.

I was super proud of the ascent!
On the western run from the NC mountains to Knoxville TN, I averaged as high as 35 MPG. Of course that dropped to 27-28 when I hit the flat lands.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts

iOS (and I am sure the galaxy equivalent) will have this in their app stores. As mentioned it’s good for lawn/snow equipment that sits for a while as the ethanol doesn’t separate and take up water. I use it in my TR6 because it doesn’t damage rubber components in the fuel system (carb diaphragms) and it’s stability. That car will sit for months in an unheated garage over the winter and it fires up just fine in the spring. It is more expensive and probably not worth it for a daily unless you want to stick it to the corn lobby…

·
Registered
14 Posts
My classic cars and vintage Willys Jeep prefer non ethanol fuel. (The Willys would run on anything) Here in Canada certain brands of fuel do not have ethenol. IShell and Costco do not have ethanol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
In Michigan we call non ethanol fuel recreational fuel or rec gas. Snowmobiles, boats, ATV"s yes it can be found in almost every city in NM and the UP. It is used in engines that are not fuel injected. I use it in any engine that has a carburetor. Most mechanics will say the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drove Michigan to the all the National Parks in Utah plus SW Colorado in May. 26.5 mpg. Saw several stations in UT and CO selling gas with no ethanol. Rec gas is everywhere in Michigan. Usually about $1.25 more per gallon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got back from a 1700mi trip from Reno to Oregon and averaged 25mpg loaded with a family of four. Got up to 223 degrees oil temp today with 102 outside temp coming up I80 in the sierras. 240 or so is about max you want to see for oil temp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts