Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 Ascent here, just shy of 2k miles.

We're experiencing what has been fairly well documented prior with regards to the garage smelling of raw gas after parking the car, and a gas smell coming through the air vents/surrounding exterior of the car while idling. I took issue to the dealership and they said they looked everything over and said nothing was out of place.

Wondering if anyone facing a similar situation has actually corrected the problem or found resolution with SOA?

Thanks in advance!

-N

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 with 18,500 on it and I have the same issue. Brought it up with the dealer along with instructions on how to recreate the issue and they claim to not be able to recreate it. I've learned that if we're going to be idling for a while then it is best to close the vents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it happens after my normal commute of a 30-minute highway trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ditto. The dealer suggested it was due to cold start and that engines dump a lot of fuel in to start but this isn't that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Initiated contact with SOA. We'll see where it goes.

-N

·
Registered
24 Posts
2020 Ascent here, just shy of 2k miles.

We're experiencing what has been fairly well documented prior with regards to the garage smelling of raw gas after parking the car, and a gas smell coming through the air vents/surrounding exterior of the car while idling. I took issue to the dealership and they said they looked everything over and said nothing was out of place.

Wondering if anyone facing a similar situation has actually corrected the problem or found resolution with SOA?

Thanks in advance!

-N
Prior posts list our ordeal with our Ascent. We experienced a 6 month long process with many dealer trips to end up having SOA lemon and replace ours. Skip forward 8 months and the second Ascent is now having the same gas smell as before. We are extremely disappointed with Subaru as there is no actual remedy for this issue short of trading it on anoth/brand

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes. Do the engineers have any idea what is even causing it? Does it stem from the oil dilution problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ours was diagnosed with oil dilution but they claim within specs for a turbo direct injected engine. Obviously it is an issue to consumers when your garage smells of gas when the Ascent is parked in it. We also have the two recalls for CVT and ECM reprogram so we will be calling the gas smell issue out when we take it into the dealer.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you're getting a strong gas smell, I don't think the vehicle is in compliance with emission laws. Evaporative emissions systems, PCV, etc. exist and are mandated to prevent fuel vapors from escaping. SOA should certainly be aware of this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like some of the new 2020 Outback XTs with Turbo are experiencing the same issue. I doubt Subaru would let this issue get away from them because it would be irreparable damage to the brand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update #2: Dropped off at dealership this morning; at check-in, they popped the hood and confirmed gas smell. They provided me a loaner Ascent and said the service foreman would likely take it home overnight for further diagnosis.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update #2: Dropped off at dealership this morning; at check-in, they popped the hood and confirmed gas smell. They provided me a loaner Ascent and said the service foreman would likely take it home overnight for further diagnosis.
And so it starts. Document dates, how long your car is under dealership possession for this issue and what steps they take toward remedy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I had that problem on my 17 xt forester. For some reason, you have to set your air circulation inside the cabin instead of outside coming from the engine. You won’t smell the gas anymore if you do that. Not sure why it’s like that but dealership won’t know anything because they don’t drive and park out cars to know what’s going on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my STI. Let me ask you guys something. If you open the airbox inside the engine compartment, where the air filter is and give it a smell, does it smell like the smell you are getting inside the car? I tracked mine down to there but have no clue if that smell inside the airbox is normal due to the turbo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update #3: The dealership was instructed by a field rep to change the oil, deemed it repaired and returned the car to me. After two days of driving around, the gas smell persisted as if nothing had changed. I had the dealership come pick up the car for further diagnosis. By my count, the car is in its second full week of being in the shop since our purchase on the first of the year.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah just the Subaru in general has this issue. I was like forget it. I just press the outside air to Recirculate to inside and be done with it. SOA would be the contact but they might be like the dealership said nothing is wrong with the car. It’s probably the design.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Did anyone else get further investigating this issue? I notice it happens with mine as well...also when I drive less than 10 miles (even with engine fully warmed up), it occurs the most. Trips of >15 miles or more, the smell is less pronounced(although its still there)...not sure if its just a Subaru thing as I have not had any of my other cars do this when fully warmed up...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts