Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, our 2020 limited with 8,000 miles vents a gas odor that makes it hard to park in our garage. I had it at the dealer for 2 weeks and they claimed SOA is aware of the problem but does not have a solution yet. The dealer checked it over and couldn't find anything wrong. Frustrating. On nice days we park outside in our driveway because sometimes the odor is too strong for our comfort level.

It always happens after a 15 mile commute and sitting in the garage for about a half hour to an hour. Oddly, I can't really smell anything immediately after parking. Just after it's been sitting for 10 minutes or so. Curious if anyone else has a similar problem and found a solution to the gas odor.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
There are multiple threads on this issue. It's not universal, but some folks have had the problem.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Some have reported fuel dilution in the oil. Does the oil on your dipstick smell like oil, or can you smell fuel also?

I would say that our 2020 Ascent was "fragrant" for the first few months, but I wouldn't describe the smell as oil or fuel. It was just a strong "new catalytic converter" like smell that lasted longer than typical. But that's starting to lessen. We have nearly 3,000 miles on it, and it's a late February 2020 build that we bought in early March.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was in the local Subaru dealership for maintenance today and overheard a tech tell a customer that there was no fix for his problem with over pressure in the gas tank; they are working on it; and not too fill his tank past 1/4 full until a solution is found. Sounds related to this issue, but then no Subaru model or year was mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was in the local Subaru dealership for maintenance today and overheard a tech tell a customer that there was no fix for his problem with over pressure in the gas tank; they are working on it; and not too fill his tank past 1/4 full until a solution is found. Sounds related to this issue, but then no Subaru model or year was mentioned.
Interesting. Thanks for the information. Maybe I'll experiment with a 1/4 tank of gas or under and see if that helps the fuel smell. Obviously, not ideal, but maybe this will be a short term fix until they figure out a permanent solution.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
FWIW: The vapor pressure of gasoline is the same irrespective of the amount in the the tank. At a given temperature, the tank will see the same pressure as long as there's any liquid gas in the tank; 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 1/8 full etc.. Of course there needs to be a little headspace in a full tank to allow for the expansion of the liquid gas as temperature increases. That's normally ensured by the design of the tank, filler, and fuel system as long as you don't top off after the nozzle shuts off. Right off hand, I can't think of problem that keeping the level ,</=1/4 full would help. It'd be interesting to hear if it does. It sure would be inconvenient to have to do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW: The vapor pressure of gasoline is the same irrespective of the amount in the the tank. At a given temperature, the tank will see the same pressure as long as there's any liquid gas in the tank; 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 1/8 full etc.. Of course there needs to be a little headspace in a full tank to allow for the expansion of the liquid gas as temperature increases. That's normally ensured by the design of the tank, filler, and fuel system as long as you don't top off after the nozzle shuts off. Right off hand, I can't think of problem that keeping the level ,</=1/4 full would help. It'd be interesting to hear if it does. It sure would be inconvenient to have to do that.
I agree it would be inconvenient and have my reservations on if it will actually help, but I'm going to give it a try. I'll post if I have success on keeping tank < 1/4. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.