Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent Touring has 20,000 miles on it. Up to now the average gas milage was at 22 mpg. Recently I have been averaging 25.6 mpg. City and highway driving. YEAH!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,632 Posts
That's always a welcome thing. But what changed? Is the mix more skewed to highway now? Etc. And how are you measuring it?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,652 Posts
That's always a welcome thing. But what changed? Is the mix more skewed to highway now? Etc. And how are you measuring it?
During the last year or so I have had poor gas mileage. That was not always the case. In the past I have had mid 20's to 30mpg. I chalked it up to driving style and additional shorter commutes. After the latest recall notice I thought the recall issue may have contributed to the poor mileage 14 -15 MPG. Last week my cvt was replaced and while the cvt is very smooth, so far my mileage remains low. During the two to three weeks my 2019 Ascent was in the shop I had a 2022 Ascent limited loaner and traveled the same route every day that I had done with my own vehicle. I made no changes in how I drive. The loaner was getting 22mpg consistently. This experience suggests to me that something is amiss with my now 51000 miles 2019 Ascent. I am making an appointment.

·
Registered
126 Posts
During the last year or so I have had poor gas mileage. That was not always the case. In the past I have had mid 20's to 30mpg. I chalked it up to driving style and additional shorter commutes. After the latest recall notice I thought the recall issue may have contributed to the poor mileage 14 -15 MPG. Last week my cvt was replaced and while the cvt is very smooth, so far my mileage remains low. During the two to three weeks my 2019 Ascent was in the shop I had a 2022 Ascent limited loaner and traveled the same route every day that I had done with my own vehicle. I made no changes in how I drive. The loaner was getting 22mpg consistently. This experience suggests to me that something is amiss with my now 51000 miles 2019 Ascent. I am making an appointment.
I wonder if the Subaru made some changes (maybe software?) to the CVT between your 2019 and the 2022 that you borrowed?

What's your MPG after getting the CVT replaced, and how many miles have you driven on the new CVT? Maybe need to reset the ECU so it relearns with the new CVT?

I'm really curious if you'll see improved MPG with more driving on the new CVT.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,652 Posts
I wonder if the Subaru made some changes (maybe software?) to the CVT between your 2019 and the 2022 that you borrowed?

What's your MPG after getting the CVT replaced, and how many miles have you driven on the new CVT? Maybe need to reset the ECU so it relearns with the new CVT?

I'm really curious if you'll see improved MPG with more driving on the new CVT.
It is too early to tell. I'm fortunate that my commute is only 12 miles round trip. The loaner handled this commute fine. I mostly want it to get on the record and then keep a watchful eye on it. If it continues after another few hundred miles, I will have Subaru take a closer look at the issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I"ve seen a few folks report that after the current software was installed as part of the recall, they noted improved fuel economy and noticed their RPM running lower than their particular vehicles had been showing prior to the software. So even if it's not universal (my MY19 has always had no issue staying under 2K RPM and often lower when cruising) perhaps some vehicles do need a kick in the backside on this with the new software. So hopefully, folks who own "that vehicle" will see some improvement in their Ascent's eating habits. :)

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
Anytime the battery is disconnected from a vehicle all the sensor parameters for the ecm are lost, so it takes a few drive cycles to get them relearned completely and your gas mileage back to normal. The TCM learned parameters are stored in memory but with a new CVT installed those would have been cleared as well.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
59 Posts
Anytime the battery is disconnected from a vehicle all the sensor parameters for the ecm are lost, so it takes a few drive cycles to get them relearned completely and your gas mileage back to normal. The TCM learned parameters are stored in memory but with a new CVT installed those would have been cleared as well.
Is it truly any time a disconnect happens, or is there some level of retention (minutes... 1 hour... or something)? I was wondering this if I needed to swap batteries at some point. If I did this quickly on the last few cars it did not seem to lose anything.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
934 Posts
Anytime, there is no memory retention when the battery is disconnected. There are some memory saver devices which plug into the 12v power port. Using one means being very careful of the battery cables so they don't touch.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
When I swapped out my battery last December, I did lose some settings in the driver information center in the dashboard, but otherwise, all other settings were just fine. The time of disconnection wasn't more than a minute and a half or two minutes if I recall.

Reactions: felix_te
1 - 10 of 10 Posts