Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased our new Ascent in late August of last year. Our overall mileage has been 27.8 mpg. We live close to interstate highway so we get better mpg than someone that lives in the city. Since we are experiencing cooler
temps, our mpg has dropped to 27.6. I has noticed that the rpms on a cold motor startup are about 1800 until the engine warms up. After it reaches normal temps then idle at around 800 rpm. To those that have had their Ascents
for a year are so is this considered normal?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yes, normal. If Subaru included the blue light like other Subarus the drop in RPM coincides with the blue light going off. When the light goes off in our Crosstrek, it is safe to push the engine. Doesn’t mean you can’t drive it, you just don’t want to push the engine until the the engine is at operating temperature.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,600 Posts
Colder temps and winter blend fuel all contribute to lower fuel economy. But honestly, you are doing stellar on your fuel economy, likely because of the driving conditions you mention.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agree with the comments above. You have enviable mpg's at 27.6, let alone 27.8

Direct injection turbo engines, like the one in the Ascent, will dump a lot of fuel into the combustion chamber in cold weather and run high revs to achieve operating temperature faster; parts of the emissions equipment are passive and need to be hot to operate as spec'd. To this end, extended idling in winter will have a noticeable and detrimental impact on mpg. Judging by your mpg, looks like you aren't letting the car sit too long before driving, which is the right thing to do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I dunno what style of driving youre doing why you obtained 27.6. With my 3 y/o ascent the highest i obtained so far is 22pmg. Im averaging right now 19-20mpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
We bought ours in Nov '20 and since then are at 14.8 but live in the city.

We had one trip to Maine (from NJ) that put on the bulk of the 3k mileage we have and it was ~16.3 heading back from that trip.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
I dunno what style of driving youre doing why you obtained 27.6. With my 3 y/o ascent the highest i obtained so far is 22pmg. Im averaging right now 19-20mpg
It's believable for all highway at reasonable speeds. My highway averages were minimum 26.5 but I got as high as 28 on some legs.

Reactions: Nanangko1234$

·
Registered
48 Posts
We've had ours for almost a year now, and with 75% Highway/25% City driving, we've consistently averaged around 23mpg.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmmm ... unless you ease onto the interstate, then drive 65 mph for extended periods, I'm not understanding the 27.8 mpg. That us a really high average.

Is this from the on board computer at the point when you stop for fuel? Or, are you commuting manually tank-tank

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
552 Posts
We bought ours in Nov '20 and since then are at 14.8 but live in the city.

We had one trip to Maine (from NJ) that put on the bulk of the 3k mileage we have and it was ~16.3 heading back from that trip.
That's not a promising road trip stat! My lifetime average (11 fill ups) is 16.9 mpg. My Ascent sees mostly errands on the weekends and the occasion commute to the office on 287, and I'm not shy about using the turbo.

We have yet to take it on a road trip but I'm hoping to be in the 23-24 range

·
Registered
22 Posts
It’s totally believable and doable! Here’s 365miles of about 75%hwy 25%city.
Lay off the right foot and it’s possible.
Speedometer Car Odometer Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have MPG envy... haha Average in mine is just over 20MPG and probably 85-90% highway mileage. We don't use ours as a dd/grocery getter, primarily road trips/longer drivers only.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is just a singular observation, but it's illustrating how wildly the MPG can vary. I filled up on Sunday on the way home from running a few errands. From the gas station to home was about 7 miles of 50-60mph. When I got home MPG was around 21. By Monday morning that 21 mpg turned to 13 something due to remote starting before heading to work, and a few more Sunday evening short trips using remote start. When I got home on Monday (~40 mile highway commute at 75-85mph) it was 19.1. After remote starting the following morning and letting it run the full 10mins that 19.1 turned to 18.6.

It's a dance for sure, and I think going forward I'll relegate remote starting for when it's needed (frosty windows) vs. strictly comfort.

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
If you reset the counter after fill-up, what you describe is going to happen because it's an averaging process. The impact on the average over just a few miles by idling is significant because it's effectively zero MPG. Idling and short distance travel will drop it like a stone. Adding some highway travel at steady, reasonable speed will raise it quickly, too, when the computer is dealing with a relatively low number of miles in the calculation. Now if you don't reset the counter, you'll see that idling barely has an impact. I'm pegged at about 17.5 overall average at this point since moving "into" town. It was about 20.5 prior in the more rural setting and gradually creeped down over about 4-5 months between them after the move. I do not reset the counter as I'm mostly interested in overall average. If I see that suddenly move a lot, then I know something is wrong.

Reactions: rlb81

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you reset the counter after fill-up, what you describe is going to happen because it's an averaging process. The impact on the average over just a few miles by idling is significant because it's effectively zero MPG. Idling and short distance travel will drop it like a stone. Adding some highway travel at steady, reasonable speed will raise it quickly, too, when the computer is dealing with a relatively low number of miles in the calculation. Now if you don't reset the counter, you'll see that idling barely has an impact. I'm pegged at about 17.5 overall average at this point since moving "into" town. It was about 20.5 prior in the more rural setting and gradually creeped down over about 4-5 months between them after the move. I do not reset the counter as I'm mostly interested in overall average. If I see that suddenly move a lot, then I know something is wrong.
Good points, I didn't mention that I reset trip b after every fill-up to monitor how that particular tank is doing. Yes when the mileage on the tank is low the math is such that it's much easier to move the "needle", but it was a bit surprising to see it drop by 1/2 mile just from 10 minutes of idling. I'll try that exercise again once I get near the end of the tank and see what the impact is.

·
Registered
230 Posts
These are fun discussions!

This vehicle is never going to get great mileage ... it simply weighs too much, is too much an aerodynamic brick, and has a power system that works really hard when throttle is applied. Add idling to increase convenience ... and, so the CVT based power system will actually shift effectively - and, mpg become ouch.

I'd like to imagine a turbo diesel plug-in hybrid Ascent ... great mileage, but another 1000 pounds ... and, way more expensive.

Tradeoffs 😀

·
Super Moderator
4,600 Posts
Good points, I didn't mention that I reset trip b after every fill-up to monitor how that particular tank is doing. Yes when the mileage on the tank is low the math is such that it's much easier to move the "needle", but it was a bit surprising to see it drop by 1/2 mile just from 10 minutes of idling. I'll try that exercise again once I get near the end of the tank and see what the impact is.
Since there are two counters, one can, if they want to, use one for the "per tank" and one for "long time average". That's how I handle things on trips, the one time I want to do the per tank thing.

Reactions: IndySubieFan

·
Registered
552 Posts
Since there are two counters, one can, if they want to, use one for the "per tank" and one for "long time average". That's how I handle things on trips, the one time I want to do the per tank thing.
That's how I've been doing it with my Ascent. We also track mileage in an app, but that's more for me to track when oil changes are due etc., and to identify when there may be an issue if mileage changes dramatically.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
286 Posts
That's how I do it. Trip A is per tank/trip, Trip B is lifetime of the vehicle so far. Trip B has been slowly creeping up over the last 1-2K miles (currently ~6500 on the '21).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts