Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of a 4 week ski trip to Colorado and Utah hauling out 5 pair of skis, two sets of boots and gear, along with suitcases. I decided to track my real world gas mileage, including snow days, freezing rain days, days of below 10 degree driving, and two trips over the Continental Divide. I tend to set the cruise control on 73, unless conditions dictate less, but still use 73 even out west where the speed limits are 75-80. The list below is gas mileage at the fill up point, where in the world it was, and any extenuating circumstances. Our car i 7 passenger Limited, 4000 miles odometer at the beginning, and I found the Subaru calculated gas mileage to be pretty accurate (not generally true of other cars I have driven}

MPG
21.85 Scranton, PA (not very pertinent, this leg included a week of driving in NYC before I left)
25.57 Zanesville, OH (pleased to get this good through the hills of PA)
23.59 Effingham, IN (wet roads and rain most of the day)
26.18 Blue Springs, MO (good weather except for and hour of freezing rain and slick roads mid afternoon)
21.44 Hays, KS (sheet of ice on the car when started from Junction City, a headwind, temps in the upper teens. I always get poorer mileage in Western Kansas)
22.42 Monument, CO (north of Colorado Springs. Headwind and snow most of the day, cold temperatures)
18.95 Monument, CO (visiting family, around town, so 4 gallon fill-up before leaving for Utah)
24.53 Green River, WY (indicated 30 mpg going up the front range, then dropped once I started climbing and across Divide.
24.72 Salt Lake City, UT (20 mph cross wind and blowing snow, but it was mostly downhill too)
18.95 Salt Lake City, UT (to. mileage and from Park City and around town with a week of skiing and eating)
26.45 Page, AZ (Along the front range in Utah and across to Zion Park)
21.94 Durango, CO (Includes short drives around Page, lots of snowy roads up to Durango)
24.81 Monument, CO ( good mileage considering snowy and windy weather conditions and a HARD drive over Wolf Mountain pass)

The mileage is what it is. I'm very happy with the car, and ecstatic about how it handled a fair amount of pretty inclement weather. We had over 20" of snow the week in Park City, and it handled the unplowed parts of it with no problem. Traction and feeling of control over Wolf Mountain was awesome (used manual mode and 3rd gear most of the way down, and was still passing other cars as road width and oncoming traffic would allow).

And I love the mid range power of the car. Passing on two lane roads and maintaining speed up grades is great; better than my RAV 4 even though the RAV4 V6 has more horsepower and weighs 1200 lbs less.

·
Registered
49 Posts
2 people in the car for the trip?
Thank you for providing the real world numbers including weather and wind conditions.
I am sure having a turbo engine at altitude was helpful in keeping up speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 people in the car for the trip?
Thank you for providing the real world numbers including weather and wind conditions.
I am sure having a turbo engine at altitude was helpful in keeping up speed.
Only me in the car, wife co-worker flew in. I have family in Wichita and Colorado Springs, pain to lug skis to NYC airport, and rental car costs for 4 weeks in 2 states is an arm and both legs. And rental SUV's at Denver airport are often not even AWD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still only get about 14 MPG city / Hwy Mix. Could my lead foot really be causing this much bad gas mileage. I use to think so unil I let my conservitive wife drive and she only got it up to 16mpg going from LA to Seattle.:cry::cry:

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
629 Posts
Not a bad MPG - PA isn't too bad on MPG even with the hills. I was just beating up my friend for booking airline tickets for a ski trip to CO in the middle of a pandemic...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.