Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the gas mileage countdown only goes down to 20 then switches over to double dashes. My last vehicle would continue into negative numbers and I’m wondering if this is an option for my Ascent.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Hi, no, it's not an option on the Ascent.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
It only increments in tens given it's an estimate. It can be really risky taking it all the way down since what's really in the tank can be variable, depending on multiple conditions/situations.

Reactions: Ascent owner

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I find the range indication to be pretty erratic compared to my previous vehicles (whatever the rationale). It takes ~16.2 gal to fill mine when it registers 0 miles. Specified capacity is 19.3 gal, so need to panic. I usually run mine until it says 0 miles then fill at the next reasonable opportunity. I have gone as far as 40 miles beyond 0 but wouldn't suggest doing that routinely.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not as brave as any of you. Once I hit 40 I start looking for gas. Luckily unless I'm in the Berkshires, I'm always within 5 minutes of a gas station. And since I have a bad back I don't want to have to push the car to the nearest station!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I try to fill up at a 1/4 tank. The fuel pump likes to have some nice cool fuel surrounding it to keep from overheating. Probably not a big deal to go to empty depending on the temps outside and how often you do it but I err on the side of longevity of the fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
Yea, I'm also a "quarter tanker" for fillups most of the time...like yesterday. I've only gotten it down below 40 once or twice with the light coming on and that was not something I prefer to happen.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
In the summer I like to fill before I hit 1/8th of a tank but often end up seeing the light come on before I make my way to fill up.
In the winter there’s no way it gets down past 1/4 tank! Between moisture possibly causing issues, long warm up times, huge traffic delays from accidents or snow plows and possibly getting diverted to jump start someone, it’s just not worth risking it. The last thing you need happening in -45celcius is running out of gas somewhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yea, I'm also a "quarter tanker" for fillups most of the time...like yesterday. I've only gotten it down below 40 once or twice with the light coming on and that was not something I prefer to happen.
I'm guessing you plug in your phone if it gets bellow 30% too. Am I right?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I'm not as brave as any of you. Once I hit 40 I start looking for gas. Luckily unless I'm in the Berkshires, I'm always within 5 minutes of a gas station. And since I have a bad back I don't want to have to push the car to the nearest station!!
I usually run my tank down a bit. On one leg of my trip to the west coast, I didn't take into account the lack of open gas stations at 1am, and made it to an open station with a few miles to spare. Alas, that one wasn't entirely my fault. Places that were supposed to be open, were not, for whatever reason. One was doing an extended cleaning and shift change, for instance.

·
Super Moderator
3,880 Posts
I'm guessing you plug in your phone if it gets bellow 30% too. Am I right?
It rarely ever gets that low, even with the extra load of my hearing aids. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just wondering, if you run the tank down super low, do you run the risk of more debris in the filter, or potentially of moisture getting into the engine? Our Ascents are all relatively new cars, so it's probably not so much of an issue for any of us, but I have had clogged filters on some of the clunkers I owned years ago.

Also, I'm assuming even with essentially no gas in the tank, none of us are hitting high enough g's to starve the fuel pickup of petroleum!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the tank so it's already picking up whatever is there (water, debris) regardless of how much fuel is above it.

When mine reads 0 miles, there's still 3+ gallons in the tank. That's 16% full. If you refuel when the gauge reads 1/4 full, you're probably actually over 1/3 full, or maybe more.

By always waiting until near empty instead of filling at 1/4 tank, I figure I saved myself roughly 266 stops at gas stations over ~50 years of driving, and I hate stopping for gas.

Caveat. IDK how much of that 19.3 is usable.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I ran out of gas once in a Range Rover. That destroyed the $700 fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I ran out of gas once in a Range Rover. That destroyed the $700 fuel pump.
I guess that's a Range Rover for you (destroying the pump and its price!). Despite my lifelong predilection for running the tank down, I've only run out of gas twice in a car, a 67 Chevy and 2010 Lexus. Fuel pumps etc.survived unscathed.

That Lexus had a very consistent and reliable range gauge, which would read zero with 3 gal left. I would regularly go 40 miles (~2 gal) past zero before fueling. What got me was parking nose down on a steep road which uncovered the fuel pickup. There was a gas station at the bottom of the hill only a few blocks down. I could have easilly coasted down with my old Chevy with no power steering or brakes and a standard transmission. Not so with the Lexus. I had to walk.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Yeah, I used to run out of gas in my other cars quite a bit... (not so much nowadays)... never a problem. Worse is, it wasn't even like it was a new one. Even worse is, the pump was the least of the problems of that electrical nightmare, shock towers rot off the fenders, overpriced c..p. Fortunately, it was used and I didn't pay much of anything for it (talk about depreciation, wow... $90,000 down to $5,000 in 12 years).

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the tank so it's already picking up whatever is there (water, debris) regardless of how much fuel is above it.

When mine reads 0 miles, there's still 3+ gallons in the tank. That's 16% full. If you refuel when the gauge reads 1/4 full, you're probably actually over 1/3 full, or maybe more.

By always waiting until near empty instead of filling at 1/4 tank, I figure I saved myself roughly 266 stops at gas stations over ~50 years of driving, and I hate stopping for gas.

Caveat. IDK how much of that 19.3 is usable.
I have a different approach. ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
The problem with buying a $5,000 Range Rover, is that the previous owner probably maintained it like a $5,000 car!

And if I'm not mistaken ( Robert would probably know this better than me) the fuel is the lubricant in the fuel pump, and on a temperamental vehicle like a range Rover, I could see where that would create a sudden death situation for the pump... queue in the Lucas jokes, the originator of the intermittent windshield wiper....

That being said, I am surprised with my jaguar, (Jaguar is owned by JLR), I'm at one full year of ownership, and not a single problem. honestly, I bought the car thinking I'd be on a first name basis with my Jaguar service manager, instead it's the Subaru manager that I know. I am glad that I am in the minority regarding issues with my ascent, and I am a little jealous of everyone who's had a trouble free ride with theirs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts