Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
They don't have a horrible road infrastructure like us, we're the predominant market, they're far nicer to other drivers
Any chance you’ve seen any data on accident rates? I’m just guessing, and I could be far off, it might be a safer place to drive too

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
651 Posts
The switch from left-hand drive to right hand drive is "largely" a matter of installing a different "whole dash" sub-assembly. That's in my mind easier than having different body panels during assembly.
Interesting. Well, I know pretty much zero about car construction, so you're probably right, and that would offer a decent explanation of why they don't bother to switch the gas filler then.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,516 Posts
The switch from left-hand drive to right hand drive is "largely" a matter of installing a different "whole dash" sub-assembly. That's in my mind easier than having different body panels during assembly.
The dash swap might be easier to execute than a body panel change but you're forgetting the steering column and steering rack that needs to be reversed and likely a lot of the wiring harness that goes from the firewall back needs to be different.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
The dash swap might be easier to execute than a body panel change but you're forgetting the steering column and steering rack that needs to be reversed and likely a lot of the wiring harness that goes from the firewall back needs to be different.
Probably accounted for in the platform design for a global product...

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Any chance you’ve seen any data on accident rates? I’m just guessing, and I could be far off, it might be a safer place to drive too

US: The 2018 fatality rate was 11.2 per 100,000 people in the U.S.

Japan: Japan has a fatality rate with 2.54 per 100,000.

Or...

Google is idiotic on this one, and cites a paper from 2000. The statistics have vastly changed in the last few years as Japan made a bunch of major culture shifts (regarding driving) that are skyrocketing them way above (better) than the U.S..

Sky Purple Violet Font Magenta

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

And, finally, car vs pedestrian (cyclist, walkers, joggers, etc) are still a major source of injuries and death, especially in regions that have a more active population. Subaru is working on front-of-car/hood mounted airbags to help decrease deaths and serious injuries to pedestrians.

Yes, Subaru truly intends to have the safest car for occupants and those around it. You all should see how serious they are about that. Their Fact Books are a treasure trove of info on how they analyze tons of crash data from everywhere they can to try to improve safety in every way they can feasibly and reasonably do so.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I guess this will be a moot point when Subaru starts adding plug-in hybrid systems to more of their cars. The Crosstrek Hybrid has the battery charge port on the driver side.

They don't have a horrible road infrastructure like us, we're the predominant market, they're far nicer to other drivers, and their Eyesight is the next level, including moving to Eyesight X while we're stuck on Eyesight v3 and v4 because of our horrible roads, signs, etc. 😉😭
Is it road infrastructure or is it technology limitations? Eyesight came out in 1999 for the Subaru Lancaster (Outback) and did not get emergency braking until the 2nd generation in 2001. I assume it took Subaru a long time to develop the image detection algorithms and fast enough data processing to include these features. Nowadays, you can just buy software and implement an ADA system with "less" effort. Matlab offers a toolkit for ADA systems.

Also, what happened to Eyesight versions 5-9? (just kidding!)

But this can lead to other issues. I offer the 1996(?) to 2003 Subaru Legacy RSK and GT-B as an example. This Legacy with a twin turbo engine, but it was never offered to Left-Hand drive markets. Why? The left turbo would not clear the steering rack!

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
I guess this will be a moot point when Subaru starts adding plug-in hybrid systems to more of their cars. The Crosstrek Hybrid has the battery charge port on the driver side.

Is it road infrastructure or is it technology limitations? Eyesight came out in 1999 for the Subaru Lancaster (Outback) and did not get emergency braking until the 2nd generation in 2001. I assume it took Subaru a long time to develop the image detection algorithms and fast enough data processing to include these features. Nowadays, you can just buy software and implement an ADA system with "less" effort. Matlab offers a toolkit for ADA systems.

Also, what happened to Eyesight versions 5-9? (just kidding!)

But this can lead to other issues. I offer the 1996(?) to 2003 Subaru Legacy RSK and GT-B as an example. This Legacy with a twin turbo engine, but it was never offered to Left-Hand drive markets. Why? The left turbo would not clear the steering rack!
Road infrastructure. The United States is really far behind in all forms of public transportation compared to our "peer countries". Eyesight X works great in Japan. Subaru also goes through a LOT more testing that other brands that use owners to beta test.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
It's actually not related, since a hybrid will get gas if it's stuck, and that's on the passenger side. Plugging in will be at home or at parking spot chargers, not the side of the road. ;)

81 - 88 of 88 Posts