Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 12/16-12/17 we had an ice storm in southern NY, everyone cleans the cars as best we can but theres ice on the exterior. By today most is melted off the car, and I went to the gas station. To my dismay the fuel door would not open whatsoever. Its about 20 degrees and sunny, i parked the car in direct sun for several hours and attempted my fuel door again, still wont budge. I can see in a tiny bit and can see ice completely filling the fueling neck/cap. This is troubling for two reasons. If enough ice accumulates and pops the fuel door. Or more importantly you are on empty and need fuel, you are now stuck, or your going to accidentally snap the fuel door off. Anyone have similar issues? Subaru do you want pictures? First post bare with me please

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't think this is different than what might have happened with any other car. Ice storms suck. Use a hair dryer on low to thaw it out.

I'd bare with you but most would likely be offended.

·
Super Moderator
2,454 Posts
So I’m assuming you couldn’t push it inward at all in order to unlatch it? And just checking, did you make sure your vehicle was unlocked?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The joys of winter. This happened to me with my Legacy 2 years ago. I had to take the car home and parked it in the garage. I was able to eventually get it opened when I applied low heat to it with a hair dryer like Merope suggested.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So 12/16-12/17 we had an ice storm in southern NY, everyone cleans the cars as best we can but theres ice on the exterior. By today most is melted off the car, and I went to the gas station. To my dismay the fuel door would not open whatsoever. Its about 20 degrees and sunny, i parked the car in direct sun for several hours and attempted my fuel door again, still wont budge. I can see in a tiny bit and can see ice completely filling the fueling neck/cap. This is troubling for two reasons. If enough ice accumulates and pops the fuel door. Or more importantly you are on empty and need fuel, you are now stuck, or your going to accidentally snap the fuel door off. Anyone have similar issues? Subaru do you want pictures? First post bare with me please
There is another way to open it but probably would not have helped in your situation at that moment. Check the manual for these instructions - but, open the rear gate and on your right side is a cover that you can remove - with a screw driver or whatever. Inside there will be some wires with an orange thing on it. Pull it and it's suppose to pop the tank door open. This might also be a better way to warm the area up than from outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I did take my car to a garage last night, where i thawed the area, and was able to get it open. There tank door hinge is on the right side of the fill area, the hinge and the space around it was solid ice. I have owned plenty of cars that had a gasket around the fuel door.
On a side note, I drive for a living on top of day to day, normal life stuff, so I am accustom to snow/ice related issues. I did verify that car was unlocked during this process.
Bottomline its winter time in the Northeast, make sure you always have enough fuel to get you home!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.