Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just towed a 4,395 pound travel trailer and got better gas mileage than we do when towing with the F150 King Cab with EcoBoost.

13.5-15 mpg highway using ACC at 65mph

9-12 mpg "city"

On the trips we do, that would end up being about 13.5-14 mpg average.

Thank you for that!
It is very good information!
How long a drive was it?

·
Administrator
11,930 Posts
Thank you for that!
It is very good information!
How long a drive was it?
1.5 hours road time, 65 miles, give or take. Three short stops. The first to try to empty the black water tank of the trailer, but the dumping station was full. The second to actually dump it. And the third was a 15 minute grocery shopping stop. In total, the trip was just over 2 hours (with, as mentioned, 1.5 hours of actual driving).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,

New here!

To make a long story short, I moved from Subaru to Nissan Pathfinder because I needed the towing capacity.
I tow a 21ft, 3100 pound trailer and now that the Ascent is here I am reconsidering my choice.

I find the gas consumption of the Pathfinder 6 cylinders engine ridiculously high when towing. They say it will tow 5000 pounds but they don't say it will empty the 70L (18.5 gal) tank every 350km or so (217 miles) for a 20 to 28 L/100km (+/- 9.5 m/g) depending on hills and wind. Hope I got my conversion right!

Some say it is the reality of towing a trailer but I still find it to high!

Anyone can share their experience towing similar weight with the Ascent. Behavior and gas consumption...?

Thanks

Renaud
I am towing a 16ft dual axle box trailer with a slight V front shape, installed the Tekonsha P3 brake controller, total weight typically 3K lbs, 300 tongue weight, at 60 mph slight hills. I average 9 10 mpg, with out trailer same route 24-25 mpg on 2019 Ascent Limited.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
22.9 mpg over 1000 miles towing a 4x8 UHaul enclosed trailer from Florida at a constant 65 mph on ACC. Not a huge trailer, but...still impressive performance.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Towing my Mustang on a car trailer (4,500lbs) on the highway at 65mph yields 15mpg.
Towing my pop up at 3,800lbs yields the same.

My GMC 2500 HD towing the same pop up would also get 15mpg. Of course it always got 15mpg! (Unless I was towing the 9,500lb fifth wheel... then it got 10mpg)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
822 Posts
We average right around 12.5-13 mpg towing our jayco 22bhm with a rated weight of 4100 lbs and approximately 300 lbs of stuff packed in. Nothing but the kids in the back of the Ascent, 30lbs and 50 lbs there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks everyone for your contribution to this thread.

RWH, good example for my dilemma, I ordered an Alto 21ft because I like the design better than what I have right now,

Not to contradict you but your alto looks more like the 17ft and from my understanding it s weight is 1750 pound.

Safari Condo is telling me though that the 21ft at 2350 pound have about the same gas consumption then the 17ft.

Thanks

Just curious, how has it been going with the Alto 21 ft? Are you towing with the Nissan still, or did you get an Ascent?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi RWH,
We have an Ascent Touring and I am on this forum to try and figure out how it would do towing an Alto. We would prefer to get the Alto 2114 (3500 GVWR) but are concerned it would be too much for the Ascent. We will be towing long distances and lots of mountains. Our specific concern is that we understand Subaru recommends not using a weight distribution hitch so the tongue weight would be too much with the 2114. We have never towed and trying to figure all this out. It looks like you have the Alto F17 which would be our second choice of Alto. How is it going towing with the Ascent? Thank you! Jen
Jen, did you end up getting the Alto 2114? If so, how has it been? We're also interested in that model, but had similar concerns about towing.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,242 Posts
Need help! We picked up a KZ sportsman classic 2019 and towing with 2021 ascent. We got 7.8 mpgs!! What would cause it to be so low?? It was unloaded trailer.
Wind resistance is a major factor when towing travel trailers (they have a big, exposed surface you're forcing through the air) as is speed and terrain. It's normal for low fuel economy when towing no matter what the tow vehicle is. 7.8 is indeed on the lower end, but not out of the realm.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
381 Posts
Need help! We picked up a KZ sportsman classic 2019 and towing with 2021 ascent. We got 7.8 mpgs!! What would cause it to be so low?? It was unloaded trailer.
I've towed a few different R-Pod trailers (probably not dissimilar in size from yours) with my Ascents (2019 Limited and now 2021 Touring) through the mountains and high plains of Central/Eastern Oregon, as well as along the (much flatter) Oregon coast. In the mountains and high desert, 8-9mpg is typical. In the flatter areas, and keeping speeds around 60, it's more like 13-14mpg.

Keep in mind that higher speeds have a much greater impact on MPG due to wind resistance when you're towing than not.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
822 Posts
Is anyone towing the Forest River 228d? I'd like to know how Ascent did pulling that on highways and in the mountains. And what kind of mileage you got. Thanks.
I don't tow a popup myself, but I have seen some other owners report upwards of 15-16 mpg when towing R-pods which are close in width and weight to the 228d. You may be able to best this depending on where you tow and how much cargo you carry.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts