Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I realize they drive on the left in Japan, does anyone know why the Subaru gas cap is always on the right side, especially for a vehicle built in the US for the NA market?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I was always told it was for safety, so when you run out of gas you are filling up facing traffic not with your back to traffic. Heck but who knows they could have made that up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I love that it’s on the right side! Here in Oregon we have full service so it’s a little awkward but the line is shorter on that side of the pump because most cars have it on the drivers side. I can’t tell you how many times a Subaru has blown past me in the gas line.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I love that it’s on the right side! Here in Oregon we have full service so it’s a little awkward but the line is shorter on that side of the pump because most cars have it on the drivers side. I can’t tell you how many times a Subaru has blown past me in the gas line.
They still have full service gas stations these days? That's pretty cool. Is it seasonal or year round? And is there a price difference vs going to a regular self serve station?

As far as gas cap placement, my 2002 Mustang has it on the passenger side and I'm pretty sure Ford Mustangs were built specifically for the NA market. So, design or safety is probably the reasoning.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was always told it was for safety, so when you run out of gas you are filling up facing traffic not with your back to traffic. Heck but who knows they could have made that up.
The safety thing makes sense. Also, shorter lines are not always a bad thing! Regarding full service, I thought some states mandated it - NJ seems to be that way or it might just be some municipalities.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I prefer it on the driver side as convenience. There's no rhyme or reason for it to be on left or right and companies don't consider safety as a factor.

I also think having the gas location respective to the side of the driver is more safe. Think of the car as your castle and your driver door is the main entrance. Conceptually, it's safer to stay near the entrance and if you have a child, it would be right behind you.

It's not a deal breaker though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
They still have full service gas stations these days? That's pretty cool. Is it seasonal or year round? And is there a price difference vs going to a regular self serve station?
I'm also from Oregon. It is year round. It is also mandated by law, meaning it is illegal to pump your own gas, so there are no regular self serve stations. It actually gets quite annoying having to wait for an attendant to come and start the gas pump or to remove the gas pump when finished (while the attendant is helping other people). It can add multiple minutes to your time.
Since it's the law, if you try to start or remove the gas pump yourself, they may get really angry, yell/swear at you and ban you from the station.
Recently (last year?) a law was passed that added an exception for extremely rural gas stations at night.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I prefer it on the driver side as convenience. There's no rhyme or reason for it to be on left or right and companies don't consider safety as a factor.

I also think having the gas location respective to the side of the driver is more safe. Think of the car as your castle and your driver door is the main entrance. Conceptually, it's safer to stay near the entrance and if you have a child, it would be right behind you.

It's not a deal breaker though.
I prefer the drivers side too... but not a deal breaker as well.

But it's a cool story though on how they state "safety"... so "when you run out of gas you're not on the side of traffic" as a factor for it being on the right hand side.

·
Registered
120 Posts

As far as gas cap placement, my 2002 Mustang has it on the passenger side and I'm pretty sure Ford Mustangs were built specifically for the NA market. So, design or safety is probably the reasoning.
Oregon and New Jersey it’s illegal to pump your own gas. Oregon just made it legal to pump your own in rural areas during overnight hours. As it’s all full service I really don’t know if there’s a price difference. I know in NJ gas is cheaper than NY.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Living in Florida and never having been to Oregon or NJ, that is mind boggling that it would be illegal for you to pump your own gas! Is there a specific reasoning for this? I can't think of a sane reason as to why your state government has banned you from pumping gas.

It wasn't until reading this thread that I just thought full-service gas stations were a thing of the past. I guess it really is true, you learn something new everyday! :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
No, we didn't make it up. That's what we were told in training back in 1989 when we started building them in Indiana by the Japanese trainers. (I sometimes think I've been with Subaru too long.) It's just part of the passive safety design of Subaru that you as the customer don't have to think about. Just like you never think about the ring-shaped reinforcement frame or the high tensile strength rods running through the doors and tying the doors into the frame of the car - but it's there anyway.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Makes sense, or from a engineering design due to AWD components that give it that symmetrical AWD it was placed on the passenger side

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I prefer the drivers side too... but not a deal breaker as well.

But it's a cool story though on how they state "safety"... so "when you run out of gas you're not on the side of traffic" as a factor for it being on the right hand side.
I guess you can make any sort of arguments but the likely hood of you running out of gas (something that's w/in your control) is very low. The more likely hood is blown tire(s) because that can be out of our control in most cases. So that argument becomes not plausible really fast.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I guess you can make any sort of arguments but the likely hood of you running out of gas (something that's w/in your control) is very low. The more likely hood is blown tire(s) because that can be out of our control in most cases. So that argument becomes not plausible really fast.
It’s nice to know Subaru goes into such detail to make their cars safe... blown tires and running out of gas seems to be an apples and oranges type of thing .... running out of gas scenario can be made a little safer through engineering(apparently) ...a blown tire scenario seems a little harder to engineer away ....But it would not surprise me if Subaru engineers were studying solutions, through sensors in or on tires etc. of doing away with that possibility also....
Safety is one of the reasons I will buy a Subaru....

·
Administrator
7,818 Posts
I used to run out of gas a lot. Not so much anymore, especially since my Outback yellow lights me with a hundred miles remaining in the tank. I've never had less than 1.5 gallons in the tank even with the needle below the E line.

Heck, I burnt out the fuel pump in my Range Rover because I ran out of gas. ****, that thing sucked in so many ways. Great in sand, snow and off-road though... when the shock towers were attached to the fenders, that is. :grin:

·
Registered
583 Posts
My wife has run out of gas at least four times and the gas cap is on the driver side :sad::sad.... The Ascent is going to be her car so I really appreciate the fact that gas cap is on the passenger side..:smile:Especially with all the traffic in Southern California....

·
Registered
357 Posts

I do believe that more people run out of gas than you think.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
LoL .... People say that 3rd world country got a lot of problems, but -- sh*t-- sometimes I think we got more problems than them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts