Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I was glancing through the manuals today because I remember we had a discussion about turbos being considered severe service schedule for oil changes.

Now, the Ascent only comes in a turbo, so I find it interesting that the manual specifies the usual 6000 with the * that describes severe driving and to do that at 3000 intervals.

That being said I stumbled on a line or two in my 2011 manual that said all turbos are considered severe. I can’t see this in the current ones, but I did stumble on this article from cars101, see the attached screenshot.

Any type of urban driving constitutes severe service.

It (cars101) suggests you change out the CVTF at 24,855 miles which is 40k kilometers under severe. However the caviat in the CVTF notes that suggests that this is indicative of towing only...

Just wanted to get us talking about it. I think I’m going to run 3000 intervals. It’s pretty cheap insurance. Same with the CVTF- I’ll do that every 60k.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
I would honestly suggest changing the oil on any turbo Subaru at 3750 MAX with synthetic.

But that is me, I have had turbo and motor failures due to extended maintanience. Or improper maintenance on turbo Subaru's.

True the 2.4DIT is different platform. In 2005 the 2.5 H4T Outback was a new/different platform as well. At 7500 miles maintenance, it was a ticking bomb long term for oil delivery to the spool.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would honestly suggest changing the oil on any turbo Subaru at 3750 MAX with synthetic.

But that is me, I have had turbo and motor failures due to extended maintanience. Or improper maintenance on turbo Subaru's.

True the 2.4DIT is different platform. In 2005 the 2.5 H4T Outback was a new/different platform as well. At 7500 miles maintenance, it was a ticking bomb long term for oil delivery to the spool.
Yeah, the oil sure takes a beating. I remember a few years ago they changed the then-current 3750/7500 interval to 3000/6000, I imagine this was because they saw some problems with the longer interval between consumption, etc.

The big thing is preventative maintenance and routine checks for consumption.

The maintenance plan is based off services not by time so you will have “x” number of oil changes period.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
The 2.4 DIT uses synthetic oil. My former 16 Legacy with the FB 2.5 used synthetic oil, and the replacement intervals were 6K.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2.4 DIT uses synthetic oil. My former 16 Legacy with the FB 2.5 used synthetic oil, and the replacement intervals were 6K.
All Subie turbos and FB series engine require synthetic for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It would seem to me that if Subaru wanted the Ascent on a 3k or 6k oil change interval, they should just explicitly define what they mean by "severe service" and clarify the issue to its customers. We're debating over something that should be as clear as day, not ambiguous. How hard would that have been, really?

·
Registered
978 Posts
This would make buying the maintenance plan a more appealing option.
Except the fine print on maintenance plans usually are very clear that they only cover the generic manufacturer schedule ie every 6000 miles oil and probably zero cvt fluid given I have never seen one of those plans allow for severe duty scheduling

·
Registered
253 Posts
Except the fine print on maintenance plans usually are very clear that they only cover the generic manufacturer schedule ie every 6000 miles oil and probably zero cvt fluid given I have never seen one of those plans allow for severe duty scheduling
Please see my message below: Subaru is being ambiguous with when they recommend the Ascent's oil is changed. Just state an interval and be clear! If it's 3000 miles, then it's 3000 miles. If 6k, it's 6k. Not "if it's severe duty, 3k; otherwise, 6k". Most people who own an Ascent probably aren't thinking their daily driving is considered "severe" -- to them it's just normal day-to-day stuff. Myself included. That's the frustrating part about all of this.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Please see my message below: Subaru is being ambiguous with when they recommend the Ascent's oil is changed. Just state an interval and be clear! If it's 3000 miles, then it's 3000 miles. If 6k, it's 6k. Not "if it's severe duty, 3k; otherwise, 6k". Most people who own an Ascent probably aren't thinking their daily driving is considered "severe" -- to them it's just normal day-to-day stuff. Myself included. That's the frustrating part about all of this.
I know Nissan does the same thing I think for my Xterra the regular was every 7,500 miles or something and Severe was 3,250. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. My Brother-In-Law who was a mechanic recommended doing it every 3,000 miles with his thoughts being that for the minimal cost you are ensuring you catch any issues early and if you do end up running it hard at some point you are covered. I already did one change at 3K and plan on doing the next one at 3K as well. Then I might bump it to 4K if the oil looks fairly clean when I change it.

Of course the filter normally fills up before the oil so you can always run 6K and change the filter every 3K if you wanted to. Easy to do that with the top mounted filter!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know Nissan does the same thing I think for my Xterra the regular was every 7,500 miles or something and Severe was 3,250. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. My Brother-In-Law who was a mechanic recommended doing it every 3,000 miles with his thoughts being that for the minimal cost you are ensuring you catch any issues early and if you do end up running it hard at some point you are covered. I already did one change at 3K and plan on doing the next one at 3K as well. Then I might bump it to 4K if the oil looks fairly clean when I change it.

Of course the filter normally fills up before the oil so you can always run 6K and change the filter every 3K if you wanted to. Easy to do that with the top mounted filter!
My 2008 GMC Sierra used an algorithm, based heavily upon engine hours from my estimation, that resulted in a oil life percentage. When it hit 5%, it nagged you about the oil change. That worked out to be about 6k miles for me, give or take. Subaru didn't implement something similar, but probably should have. Yes, I know you can set maintenance reminders but it is based strictly on miles, not on engine hours, which is a much better data point to work from as that will more accurately represent reality. You may accumulate more engine hours, but not that many miles; no problem, you change the oil more frequently and vice-versa.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would just change it severe if you’re doing any stop and go urban driving. It’s cheap insurance.

An oil change by me at the dealer is about $35-40 comes with a free car wash and multipoint inspection.

Even if I end up doing 2 more OCI’s a year, that’s $80, times 10 years... 20 years... it’s still cheaper than an engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only $40 at the dealer..hot ****! Here they charge you $40 just for the oil. The coupon special price is $69.95 with the regular price being $80-90 depending on the quantity of oil needed.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
And be sure you let the engine idle for a bit (thirty seconds to one minute) before taking off in cold winter temperatures. The turbo needs proper lubrication. It's not so much a matter of the engine being cold, but the turbo is the most important part of this engine and it needs to be properly warmed up AND cooled down.

If you neglect to do this your turbo will definitely have a decreased lifespan.

·
Registered
494 Posts
And be sure you let the engine idle for a bit before taking off in cold winter temperatures. The turbo needs proper lubrication.

My dad had a 78 impala when I grew up. Warming up the car a bit has been embedded into me. It feels wrong to just drive off from a cold start. LOL

·
Registered
978 Posts
This warm up is like 30seconds. Though. Not the 5-10 minute idle while your inside the house baking high fiber muffins. LOL

Not to mention easiest way to wipeout any chances of decent average mileage is doing the classic driveway warm up.

·
Registered
680 Posts
just do oil changers yourself
3000 VS 6000 mi oil change

Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20(OEM for Subaru) cost $23-29 and $6-7 for Subaru oil filter ...
if you drive 30,000 mi per year it still only $180 per year extra $15 per month

12K =$6
15K =$7.50

P.S. a lot of places still do oil change for under ~$15-20 if you bring your oil and filter

·
Registered
597 Posts
just do oil changers yourself
3000 VS 6000 mi oil change

Idemitsu Full Synthetic 0W-20(OEM for Subaru) cost $23-29 and $6-7 for Subaru oil filter ...
if you drive 30,000 mi per year it still only $180 per year extra $15 per month

12K =$6
15K =$7.50

P.S. a lot of places still do oil change for under ~$15-20 if you bring your oil and filter
Or in this car buy a fumoto valve and change the oil yourself!! With how high the car is and the filter placement it is really easy to change the oil!

Actually this reminds me it is almost time to change the oil as I'm closing in on 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Agree with Subiesailor. You don't necessarily gain anything by having a hot (pre-heated 10 minutes, for example) engine when it's dropped onto a cold transmission. 30 seconds, maybe 60 seconds if it's below freezing, and off you go. The pre-heating is more for the interior cabin, I think. But, the heated wheel and seat heat should cut down on that. In auto mode, the climate control won't blow freezing air at you until the engine is at a pre-set temperature.

Regarding DIY OC's - I've done several on my EJ Outback, and they're a pain in comparison to the top-mounts of the FA/FB series. Don't forget that many times you'll get some bonus, complimentary services like inspections while you're there too, and you also don't have to deal with any of the cleanup or prep work. In fact, my local service place has actually done some things for free (new clips on things under the hood like the accessory belt cover, wiper fluid reservoir, tightened heat shield bolts)... and they usually have a keen eye if something will need maintenance soon (pads, etc.)

I'm not saying "don't" do it yourself - I'm just saying that there's also a benefit to having a tech work on it. My time is worth more than the ~$10 or $15 I'm saving by doing it myself.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts