Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
So our family has decided to go for the Ascent Limited as a replacement for our aging '04 Odyssey as in the next couple years will blow its transmission to pieces (Honda transmissions are awful from this era)

1) Do you personally think the moon roof package is worth it? We currently have a CX-5 and we paid $800 extra to get the sunroof and Bose System but to be honest, we rarely ever use the sunroof.

2) Are there any crucial differences between the '19 and '20 model? I'm a sucker for a good deal however, I've read various issues on the '19 model regarding CVT and paint etc also it being a 1st year model I'm a bit weary.

3) What should I be paying for a Limited trim? Do you'll mind sharing how much you saved of sticker? Honestly, I'd go with a Premium fully loaded however, we've never had leather in any of our cars and I really like the turning LED headlights.

I'm in the Austin area however I don't mind driving around for a deal :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
1) We recently ordered and received our 2020 Ascent Limited without Technology package because we didn't use the moonroof in our previous car and it eventually started leaking, can't tell the difference between higher end stereo sound and only use Apple CarPlay for navigation. Plus we liked the coloration of interior (avoid brown seats and fake wood panels) and exterior (avoid chrome door handles and satin mirror).

2) The only "feature" difference I find useful on the 2020 is the power rear lift gate now has an additional button that allows you close and LOCK, instead of only close.

3) A lot of reading, but already A LOT of information about pricing in:
https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/the-2019-ascent-orders-and-waiting-thread.967/
https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/discount-from-msrp.949/

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited with the tech package and moon roof which my sales person got for me through a dealer trade. I had planned on doing a factory order Limited without all the goodies but ran out of time before our annual cross country winter trip from Michigan to California. The first Limited he found was totally loaded but I decided to take it anyway and after almost a year and 13,000 miles I am really happy with all of the options.

I had always used Google Maps/Waze on our previous trips but went all in with the on board nav and I'll never go back to using a phone for nav.

I like fresh air so I've had the moon roof open and the windows down all summer but if you live somewhere that gets hot then the moon roof can suck up a lot of heat. I have the Ivory interior and enjoy how bright the interior is with the extra light from the moon roof plus it makes the rear seats a much more pleasant place to be.

I'm no audiophile but the radio sounds fine to me and I don't stream music from my phone or USB stick.

The LED directional headlights are awesome! They are worth the price of the upgrade from Premium to Limited in my opinion.

My Ascent was built last July and other than a dead battery from the rear hatch being open all night long I've had zero problems. No leaks, squeeks, rattles or mechanical problems. Everything works as it is supposed to.

Reactions: Pierce781

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2019 Limited with the tech package and moon roof which my sales person got for me through a dealer trade. I had planned on doing a factory order Limited without all the goodies but ran out of time before our annual cross country winter trip from Michigan to California. The first Limited he found was totally loaded but I decided to take it anyway and after almost a year and 13,000 miles I am really happy with all of the options.

I had always used Google Maps/Waze on our previous trips but went all in with the on board nav and I'll never go back to using a phone for nav.

I like fresh air so I've had the moon roof open and the windows down all summer but if you live somewhere that gets hot then the moon roof can suck up a lot of heat. I have the Ivory interior and enjoy how bright the interior is with the extra light from the moon roof plus it makes the rear seats a much more pleasant place to be.

I'm no audiophile but the radio sounds fine to me and I don't stream music from my phone or USB stick.

The LED directional headlights are awesome! They are worth the price of the upgrade from Premium to Limited in my opinion.

My Ascent was built last July and other than a dead battery from the rear hatch being open all night long I've had zero problems. No leaks, squeeks, rattles or mechanical problems. Everything works as it is supposed to.

Hmmm, yeah I live in Texas where it's 10,000 degrees everyday from May through September lol... I don't care for Navigation as I plan on using Android auto 90% of the time. Good to know that you've had no issues for 13K miles! We've decided to try a new brand after getting burned by Honda and Toyota is just too boring haha :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
We ended up with a limited base 7 passenger. We skipped the panoramic roof because of heat and sun here in Florida. We love the android auto and steering responsive lights. I believe the difference in price of the base limited and tech package was around $4k otd. We paid $40.5k otd for ours. I definitely recommend shopping around, even if it means having the car shipped to you, might save some money even with shipping, or make a road trip out of it. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We ended up with a limited base 7 passenger. We skipped the panoramic roof because of heat and sun here in Florida. We love the android auto and steering responsive lights. I believe the difference in price of the base limited and tech package was around $4k otd. We paid $40.5k otd for ours. I definitely recommend shopping around, even if it means having the car shipped to you, might save some money even with shipping, or make a road trip out of it. Good luck!
'19 or '20... Yeah I've talked with a couple friends and I'm going to pass on the pano. It's too hot in TX lol.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hi there,
So our family has decided to go for the Ascent Limited as a replacement for our aging '04 Odyssey as in the next couple years will blow its transmission to pieces (Honda transmissions are awful from this era)
Hopefully the Subaru CVT will last as long as your awful Odyssey transmission (15 years).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully the Subaru CVT will last as long as your awful Odyssey transmission (15 years).
Hope so too! The Odyssey is a great car and the engine is still very strong. But tranny is gone and it being a base model from '04, it lacks a bunch of new safety and luxury that the Subaru offers. Plus resale value on Subarus are insanely good.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the Touring model and to be honest I never open the roof and most of the time I have the cloth cover closed as well to keep the sun out.

The only time I open it is when other people are looking at the car as they all wish they had a sunroof this large. Granted I almost always drive with the windows up and the A/C or heat on as I'm driving in a city where people have been known to throw things into a car or reach in through windows.

Edit: Wanted to add that I would not have the roof except it came with the Touring model which I bought for the ventilated seats and front camera.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I love opening the roof on fall driving days and especially fall nights, especially cruising on Ocean Parkway near the beaches. Otherwise, it's usually closed except for when showing off. Still glad I have it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
While I rarely open the roof, like Robert, there are just some times when it provides a pleasant change of pace on a beautiful fall or spring day. And with the Limited, if you want the "goodies", you're going to get the roof window as part of the package. There's no compelling reason to open it or use if if you don't prefer if you don't want to give up the tech.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
30 Posts
2019 Limited 8 Passenger with Tech Package purchased on 8/12/2019

Boston MA

I couldn't find a 2019 Limited with just H&K upgrade on the lot, so I had to purchase one with Tech package. It kind of nice to use in the spring and fall in MA but it maybe different in your location. I paid 1200-1500 under invoice in 01801.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a '19 Touring, the second year for the Ascent (2018 is the first year), with a pano roof, in Central Florida. Compared to other cars I have or use, the Ascent cools down just as quickly, even without using the ventilated seats or remote start.

One more difference between the '19 and the '20: In the 2020 version, the front USB jacks stay on! That's a plus or a minus, depending on how you use it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
I have a '19 Touring, the second year for the Ascent (2018 is the first year)
MY19 was the first year for Ascent, but it was released in mid-2018.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like sun roofs, but my wife doesn't due to heat and glare, and this was supposed to be mainly her car and I would use our 2017 Legacy Limited. We didn't need the better stereo and we figured we'd use Google Maps and/or Waze that are always up to date (with Waze having instant traffic information). So we didn't get those options. I miss the sun roof sometimes, even though I rarely open them when I have them, but I like the extra light. By the way, I like the Ascent a lot and drive it regularly. We have had no major issues except that the Lane Departure Warning turns itself off often and restarts immediately.

We like the car very much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2) Are there any crucial differences between the '19 and '20 model?
Depends on Crucial. Rear seat reminder is crucial to me. Touring has power folding mirror and 1 touch interior light control.
Front USB ports reportedly will be powered with key off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts