Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know...I know...it's a little early to talk about oil changes;but given that some folks here will do their own maintenance on their cars, I just wanted to know if any of you would know the size, placement/position of the drain plug in the new Ascent.

Here's a quick video for the folks that aren't familiar with this valve

·
Registered
357 Posts
doubt you will figure that out until the car is actually in production, I only say this because its a new model AND a new motor.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure there will be a valve that will fit. I have one of these on my Xterra and it really helps make the process cleaner.
Add the fact the the oil filter on the Subaru is right there on top...it definitely makes this incredibly easy and not quite messy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've used this valve for over 10 years on my 2004 WRX. Really makes things fairly effortless.
One thing I noticed though was that the depth of the threads extends maybe about 1/4" into the bottom of the oil pan.
Measured how deep the threads extended and dremeled a small V-shaped cutout so that a little bit more of the old oil could drain out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used this valve for over 10 years on my 2004 WRX. Really makes things fairly effortless.
One thing I noticed though was that the depth of the threads extends maybe about 1/4" into the bottom of the oil pan.
Measured how deep the threads extended and dremeled a small V-shaped cutout so that a little bit more of the old oil could drain out.
Hmmm....that is interesting. I didn't even think to measure that on my Hondas.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Have to admit I always just add some new oil with the valve open in my Xterra just to make sure everything gets out of the pan. Never thought to check the height of the threads to make sure it evacuating all the oil.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Reviving this thread to see if anyone knows which valve should go on the Ascent? I plan on doing an oil change around 1,000 miles and want to make change the plug at that point!

Currently Fumoto does not have the Ascent on their website.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Reviving this thread to see if anyone knows which valve should go on the Ascent? I plan on doing an oil change around 1,000 miles and want to make change the plug at that point!

Hey Jim,

Just taking a look at the new part number: Ascent drain plug

I took a look at some of the other vehicles it fits and it looks like the answer is the 105 series: https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?target=model_product&modelId=526026

If you have any questions on options: What's the difference between all of these valves?

If you need anything else, feel free to let us know.
Best,
Andrew

Fumoto Online Store
www.fumotooildrainvalve.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Looks like there are only 2 (my educated guess) options/sizes...the 16mm (F-108) or the 20mm (F-105).

Here's a quick snippet of the notice from For Subaru 2018 Forester 2.5L ... while searching for the the Forrester drain valve.

"Due to recent changes from Subaru, some of the 2.5L Forester's have 16mm drain plugs while others have 20mm drain plugs. The best way to know which you need is to contact Subaru and ask them which oil drain bolt you have. If they tell you the part # is 32195AA020, refer to the 16mm valves. If the part number is different, refer to the 20mm valves."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If unsure and really want to get it done....I'd buy both sizes and just return the other one (once you remove and see the actual size of the oil drain plug).

·
Registered
597 Posts
If unsure and really want to get it done....I'd buy both sizes and just return the other one (once you remove and see the actual size of the oil drain plug).
Hmm might have to do that just in case I would hate to have to put the old plug back in and wait for the next oil change.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I looked on a parts site and found the exact part number to be 32195AA020. If you cross-reference that with post #12 above it looks like we're looking for the Fumoto F108.

Now the question is, how long do we want our nipples to be? Short, standard, or long?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't like crawling under a vehicle. I've been using a pella oil extractor for over 10 years now and it works great. Don't have to get under the car and can change oil including transfer used oil to back into jug in about 20min. I removed my Legacy oil drain plug just once in 60k and that was check to make sure the pella oil extractor was indeed sucking everything out.

I also use it to extract trans fluid from my Yukon every 40k or so to freshin up the fluid and i've used it on brakes to suction bleed. Many uses and holds up well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just ordered this Fumoto F-108N Engine Oil Drain Valve, been on my Forester XT since first oil change on a 2015. Just give it time to drip all the way out. I heard someone order the 20mm and it was the wrong size on the forums so I assume this is the recommended one.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts