Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - Please go easy on me. New owner here.

I'm going on a xcountry trip where I want to bring my full size spare AND have room on the roof for a thule or some type of cargo storage.

So far the accessories shops near us have not come up with a solution, mostly because of the full size spare.

SPAM me your suggestions!! Please :D

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
Hi! I have two:
  1. Put the full sized spare in a tire carrier (so it doesn't get anything else in there dirty), and get a rooftop box that can fit it and your cargo.

Tire Cover:

Wheel Face Cover:

2. Get a hitch mounted solution, and mount it to your hitch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Replace space saver spare with full size spare. If you stay with OEM size, it will fit, although Robert recommends deflating it (and carrying an air compressor for re-inflating). Then carry second spare in one of the many receiver-mounted solutions for a single tire. Some swing out of the way. Some pivot down. Some are fixed, so you can't get into your hatch lid. I don't know of any other way, short of a trailer to haul your tires), that will allow you to carry two spares and still have roof rack space.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If your dead set on having it on the roof. A Yakima’s platform system. I’m assuming you can connect a box because each crossbar allows you attach any Yakima accessory. I don’t think you’ll be able to do a wide box but a skinny one could work. The box would be on one side and just strap down the tire to the platform. Remember, as in a previous thread, you only have 176 lbs dynamic weight to be play with.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Now that I think about it, you could also do a wider box and a skinny basket for the tire. The tire might not be totally flat but it can be easily secured. I would think you could even sit it vertically if you can secure it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
From what I hear the Yakima platform rack is high quality, but the one recommended by Yakima (55" x 49") which is rather small. Yakima/US has some other sizes that might work (60x54; 84x49, 84x54) but that are "unverified" by Yakima. Also Yakima/Australia (Yakima/US's sister company) is where the home of the platform racks. They have a big list of size and more accessories, but I don't know if they are available in the US. My point is that I think you will need to have a very small hard shell case if you store the full size tire on the platform, or you may want to consider the soft side waterproof bags that can be form-fitted against the tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I may add my own stupid question for Robert and others ... is there a workaround for when the hitch-mounted spare blocks your rear view camera?

(By no means did I intend to suggest that OP's question was stupid :) - just mine!!)

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what I hear the Yakima platform rack is high quality, but the one recommended by Yakima (55" x 49") which is rather small. Yakima/US has some other sizes that might work (60x54; 84x49, 84x54) but that are "unverified" by Yakima. Also Yakima/Australia (Yakima/US's sister company) is where the home of the platform racks. They have a big list of size and more accessories, but I don't know if they are available in the US. My point is that I think you will need to have a very small hard shell case if you store the full size tire on the platform, or you may want to consider the soft side waterproof bags that can be form-fitted against the tire.
Most likely because Yakima bases the size of the platform to the medium size crossbars which is recommended for the Ascent. You probably could go with the 70s and try a bigger platform.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
although Robert recommends deflating it (and carrying an air compressor for re-inflating).
Subaru recommends that (I just reiterate it, lol!). They also recommend not leaving it there, with good reason.

I've grabbed mine when off-roading, as well as on a steep incline out of my former job's underground basement garage. I bent both my 4 pin and 7 pin hitch mounted brackets on my hitch, as well as the support bracket that holds the rear of the bumper cover on. That's with a 1" lift on my car at the time. It's why I went roof mounted, followed by hitch mounted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If I may add my own stupid question for Robert and others ... is there a workaround for when the hitch-mounted spare blocks your rear view camera?

(By no means did I intend to suggest that OP's question was stupid :) - just mine!!)
I can't think of any other than mounting a camera on the spare tire mount. However, I believe the smart mirror camera (if you have the Touring model) is mounted at the top of the rear window. If so, maybe that would not be obstructed by the spare.

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
I can't think of any other than mounting a camera on the spare tire mount.
Yes, and I opted for a license plate mounted one. I am running wires through the plastic handle area (where the liftgate release button is), along with wires for two LED license plate lights that double as license plate bolts.

Camera:

Keep in mind that the car's backup camera is 6v. You need to run separate power for the license plate camera. I will be using power from the rear cargo light, which is now an LED on my car.

LED license plate lamps:

However, I believe the smart mirror camera (if you have the Touring model) is mounted at the top of the rear window. If so, maybe that would not be obstructed by the spare.
Yes, which can be angled to just see over my hitch mounted tire, but is horrible for parking or backing up. Sadly. I was hoping for a little better view. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
Robert-

Does the license plate camera take the place of the factory camera ... as in, you wired it in and its feed will display on the factory display when you put the vehicle in reverse? Or do you have an accessory screen for the camera?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,811 Posts
I haven't yet wired it in. But I will probably make it bypass the OEM camera.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts