Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Went back to my dealer for something else, told them about my less accurate fuel gauge.

They said the pump wasn't aligned properly after installation. Will monitor the next couple of tanks after gassing up to see if it's better.

Based on the service repair recommendation (p.30), I'll aim to have the fuel tank below ~half prior bringing it in. The instruction states that if it's the fuel tank level is <2/3, then the technician will not take apart your engine, only taking the interior apart. A 1.5hr service can turn into 3+hrs.

p.s. the second part is exaggerated but you know what I mean.

Yep, par for the course. Just like with the Niles break switch recall that only Subaru took seriously.

Got my low pressure fuel pump replaced a month ago. The tech likely slinged fuel all over the cabin because the smell did not go away until 10th day ... lol... couple of days my **s. I turned my car in w/ very little fuel, 1/4 mark.

Quite annoying bc I had my infant in there on the 3rd day, driving around w/ windows down.

Make sure to get someone competent to replace your fuel pump to prevent the annoyance.

Got my low pressure fuel pump replaced a month ago. The tech likely slinged fuel all over the cabin because the smell did not go away until 10th day ... lol... couple of days my **s. I turned my car in w/ very little fuel, 1/4 mark.

Quite annoying bc I had my infant in there on the 3rd day, driving around w/ windows down.

Make sure to get someone competent to replace your fuel pump to prevent the annoyance.
I had mine done today. I took last monday off to get it done got there and they said we can't do it you have a full tank, you need to be no more than 1/2 tank. They should tell you this when you book online. So I cam back today no day off. Got my loaner dropped off at 8 was at work just fine. Car done about 11 went to pick it up. He pulls up with all the windows down and says you "May smell a slight gas odor most people report it's gone after about 50 miles of driving." Slight odor it smells like someone spilled gas all over the inside. I know they didn't but definitely not slight. Drove 6 miles to work on freeway with windows down still smells but better. I am glad they're pro active and I hope the smell dissipates soon. I do love the Ascent so far and I'm REAL skittish about fuel pumps. I had a 2003 Tahoe that I had just had the 200K service on. We were driving from the bay area to Sacramento and in the fast line on I 5 when we lost all power and had to crawl off to the shoulder where we were stuck for over an hour until a police car pushed us off the road and we got towed home. Mechanic never saw it in person he diagnosed on the phone it was likely the fuel pump. My GF was so scared after we broke down like that on the shoulder(sketchy stretch near Stockton with a merge so cars were just whizzing by us too close for comfort). So I bought my Ascent because of a fuel pump on the Tahoe(loved that car) so hopefully won't be a thing with my Ascent.

I had mine done today. I took last monday off to get it done got there and they said we can't do it you have a full tank, you need to be no more than 1/2 tank. They should tell you this when you book online. So I cam back today no day off. Got my loaner dropped off at 8 was at work just fine. Car done about 11 went to pick it up. He pulls up with all the windows down and says you "May smell a slight gas odor most people report it's gone after about 50 miles of driving." Slight odor it smells like someone spilled gas all over the inside. I know they didn't but definitely not slight. Drove 6 miles to work on freeway with windows down still smells but better. I am glad they're pro active and I hope the smell dissipates soon. I do love the Ascent so far and I'm REAL skittish about fuel pumps. I had a 2003 Tahoe that I had just had the 200K service on. We were driving from the bay area to Sacramento and in the fast line on I 5 when we lost all power and had to crawl off to the shoulder where we were stuck for over an hour until a police car pushed us off the road and we got towed home. Mechanic never saw it in person he diagnosed on the phone it was likely the fuel pump. My GF was so scared after we broke down like that on the shoulder(sketchy stretch near Stockton with a merge so cars were just whizzing by us too close for comfort). So I bought my Ascent because of a fuel pump on the Tahoe(loved that car) so hopefully won't be a thing with my Ascent.
Ya the fabric is a sponge for the gas odour, if you have a garage, keep the windows open to air out. It took a few weeks for me.

There's a lawsuit against Denso for their faulty fuel pump. It's not just Subaru, it's all the manufacturers that sourced from the same supplier that needs it done.

My fuel gauge indicator seems to be slightly off, but I don't want to go through that process again with the odour, so I'm leaving it as-is. Indicator now shows I am a bit lower than actual so that's fine.

Posted this in 3 different places, until I found this forum!! Any updates on this??? Had the same recall done and now fuel pump nozzle clicks at 3/4 tank. Had it at a full service station and pumped on my own. Either way, it does the same thing ever since they replaced that fuel pump. Im thinking there's something going on with the sending unit and when the nozzle clicks its actually full but the sending unit is only reading it as 3/4. I have to force feed it (which supports the theory that its actually full) to actually come close to a full reading.

Posted this in 3 different places, until I found this forum!! Any updates on this??? Had the same recall done and now fuel pump nozzle clicks at 3/4 tank. Had it at a full service station and pumped on my own. Either way, it does the same thing ever since they replaced that fuel pump. Im thinking there's something going on with the sending unit and when the nozzle clicks its actually full but the sending unit is only reading it as 3/4. I have to force feed it (which supports the theory that its actually full) to actually come close to a full reading.
My fuel gauge reads less fuel than what's actually in the tank (my math/estimate is about 8 litres). I talked to my dealer, they said they would need to have a tech road test it a few nights to confirm it, and since it's a middle of a pandemic I passed on the offer.

Had the gauge read more fuel than I had, then I'd definitely get it fixed. As you'd then run the risk of being out of fuel unknowingly.

But they did reseat the fuel pump again by double checking their work. It was slightly off according to the tech, however it's still not the same as before.

The tech performing the procedure most likely bumped the fuel level sensor arm as he was removing and reinstalling the unit.

Depending on your situation, you'd probably need it to leave it with the dealer and let them fuel up and test a vehicle a few nights to confirm the symptoms.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.