Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Agreed on the fake shifts - I hate them with a passion. Subaru pretty much ruined one of the best features of the CVT - how smooth and efficient it can be. They need to fix this crap but they won’t. Their minds are made up. What’s absolute nuts is they intentionally gave up fuel efficiency to create those fake shifts. There is no tranny made that is more fuel efficient than an unmolested CVT allowed to be a smooth CVT.
I see absolutely ZERO positives by adding the stupid fake shifts. They make the car annoying to drive when you have to drive faster than a grandma around town. The faster you need to accelerate for whatever reason, the more pronounced the fake shifts are as they jerk the vehicle around.
Its dumb. It’s by far the worst part about the car. I clearly knew about it before purchase and I still bought the car but dang I hate it. Especially since I owned a Subaru turbo CVT combo without the fake shifts. I know exactly what we’re missing. There should be selectable SI modes like my 14 Forester XT had to disable this, or even hide it in a menu or something. Even if I had to disable it every time I started the vehicle. Something.
Use the cruise control's accel button; fake shifting isn't active when using cruise.

Do those who control the CVT by using the paddle shifters have the fake shifts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Took my Ascent in yesterday to have the battery replaced, investigate excessive brake noise, and have the PCV recall done, and the service guy said that a new recall had just released. I guess the fuel pump is garbage too. So they also replaced that. If you have a 2019 built between June 2018 and February 2019, expect to receive the recall. I am a bit shocked at all the pieces and parts that are garbage on this vehicle, new model or not, I expect better from a manufacturer with safety at the forefront.

My battery lasted less than two years, clearly it's underrated for this vehicle or it's a piece of junk. If the replacement one goes in under two years I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and spring for a high quality battery that will last. The brake issue was apparantly a backing plate that had shifted and needed to be put back in place. I'm not convinced it really solved the issue but the noise is less. I still hear what appears to be an oscillating noise, especially when next to another vehicle. It's kind of annoying and it's still there after their backing plate repositioning.

Lastly the CVT is still a disaster in my opinion. My loaner Forester was so much smoother and more like an actually CVT. The CVT in the Ascent sucks and shifts like a poor operating geared transmission. Slow hesitating shifts, herky jerky operation, it's just terrible. I can honestly say at just over 27K miles that my two Foresters were more enjoyable to drive. I never even thought about the CVT in them. Ever time I accelerate in the Ascent I am reminded of the piece of garbage between the engine and the wheels. They need to code an entirely new program for the Ascent CVT and make it available to anyone who wants their Ascent to act like a true CVT. I'm over these terrible fake shift points and the crappy performance of this CVT.
My 2020 has 23,000 miles and is smooth as silk ( knock on wood) . If I were not a tach watcher I wouldn’t even notice it is a cvt . I do wish it would stay in a taller range on hills and let that incredibly torquey turbo 4 lug a little however . Have not bother to Manuel mode paddle shift . Highway legal speed mpg has been 27-28 . All that said I do miss my 2015 Forester 💕

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,742 Posts
Do those who control the CVT by using the paddle shifters have the fake shifts?
Think about it...paddle shifting is quasi-manual shifting...so it would be really weird for the system to shift if the driver is in charge of shifting. That said, stranger things happen out there in the world!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Any "shifting" of a CVT is fake - there are no gears as everybody knows. They're just points on the cones dynamincally picked by the TCM and ECU to clamp the chain on.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yeah. What CVTs can do is shift continually through a continuum of ratios. What the Ascent does is makes discrete jumps in ratio to simulate what geared transmissions work hard at trying to minimize. Drive a good geared automatic transmission and you're usually not even aware of the shifts. You have to pay attention to discern when they shift.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You may have a lemon on your hands! Maybe not according to the law, but a lemon nevertheless. I’ve owned two of these things (traded a Premium in for a Limited after 6k), and both trannys were smooth-the reason I didn’t buy a Forester with all of it’s CVT drony-ness. Turbo seems to smooth out the CVT. I have had only the occasional hiccup with transmission at low speeds where is sorta does a stutter.

I would get over the idea that all of these Ascents are filled with junk parts. The only flaws I seem to have on my 6 mo old 2020 Limited are a slightly noisy passenger seat lower control (upper quiet) and an occasional squeak from front right tire that will likely go away when brakes worn a bit more.
So I did the WOT test and it was smooth. It appears that only moderate acceleration from a stop is jerky and laggy. Also occasionally it stutters a bit at light acceleration and seems to hunt and peck for the right fake gear. I would take the droning of the Forester everyday of the week, it's how a CVT is meant to function. The Ascent and it's fake gears are not how a CVT is meant to function. It seems they may have refined the CVT for 2020 and beyond. Also my CVT whines terrible, not a high pitch whine or squeal, but clearly a gear and chain CVT whine. Do they all make a pretty loud whining sound?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
So I did the WOT test and it was smooth. It appears that only moderate acceleration from a stop is jerky and laggy. Also occasionally it stutters a bit at light acceleration and seems to hunt and peck for the right fake gear. I would take the droning of the Forester everyday of the week, it's how a CVT is meant to function. The Ascent and it's fake gears are not how a CVT is meant to function. It seems they may have refined the CVT for 2020 and beyond. Also my CVT whines terrible, not a high pitch whine or squeal, but clearly a gear and chain CVT whine. Do they all make a pretty loud whining sound?
Other poster such as myself have already stated that we have not had this experience with our 2019. Therefore it is unique to individual units as compared to across the board with all Ascents and their CVT.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Other poster such as myself have already stated that we have not had this experience with our 2019. Therefore it is unique to individual units as compared to across the board with all Ascents and their CVT.
Which part are you referring to, the poor shifting or the loud whining. I know the poor shifting is individual it seems. Although I don't see many 2020 owners complaining about poor shifting and the 2020 they loaned me was way better. Even though my CVT was replaced it still sucks, and I have had the recall performed. I really don't think Subaru will do anything since it isn't really broken, it just performs poorly in my opinion. I do have very little optimism that the CVT will last for a long time.

I am happy that Subaru seems to stand behind their products and takes safety seriously. I just wish my CVT acted like a CVT.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Which part are you referring to, the poor shifting or the loud whining. I know the poor shifting is individual it seems. Although I don't see many 2020 owners complaining about poor shifting and the 2020 they loaned me was way better. Even though my CVT was replaced it still sucks, and I have had the recall performed. I really don't think Subaru will do anything since it isn't really broken, it just performs poorly in my opinion. I do have very little optimism that the CVT will last for a long time.

I am happy that Subaru seems to stand behind their products and takes safety seriously. I just wish my CVT acted like a CVT.
both

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Interesting thing is, the whine is worse now that the CVT has been replaced. Beofre it failed I don't remember it being so whiny. The poor moderate acceleration fake laggy shifting was there on my original CVT and the replacement. I guess I'm two for two with poor performing units. Oh well, I love the rest of the vehicle, it's just unfortunate that the driving enjoyment isn't always 100% awesome. Moderate acceleration brings out the worst in my CVT and annoys me. WOT and grandma style acceleration are decent, so from now on I'll skip from moderate to WOT and avoid the annoying area of the CVT. I would still appreciate SOA to code a TCM program for those of us who would rather have a CVT operate like a CVT and not a geared transmission.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Interesting thing is, the whine is worse now that the CVT has been replaced. Beofre it failed I don't remember it being so whiny. The poor moderate acceleration fake laggy shifting was there on my original CVT and the replacement. I guess I'm two for two with poor performing units. Oh well, I love the rest of the vehicle, it's just unfortunate that the driving enjoyment isn't always 100% awesome. Moderate acceleration brings out the worst in my CVT and annoys me. WOT and grandma style acceleration are decent, so from now on I'll skip from moderate to WOT and avoid the annoying area of the CVT. I would still appreciate SOA to code a TCM program for those of us who would rather have a CVT operate like a CVT and not a geared transmission.
what is SOA response to the whine? Drink up?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts