Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium Crystal White Pearl
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Ascent in yesterday to have the battery replaced, investigate excessive brake noise, and have the PCV recall done, and the service guy said that a new recall had just released. I guess the fuel pump is garbage too. So they also replaced that. If you have a 2019 built between June 2018 and February 2019, expect to receive the recall. I am a bit shocked at all the pieces and parts that are garbage on this vehicle, new model or not, I expect better from a manufacturer with safety at the forefront.

My battery lasted less than two years, clearly it's underrated for this vehicle or it's a piece of junk. If the replacement one goes in under two years I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and spring for a high quality battery that will last. The brake issue was apparantly a backing plate that had shifted and needed to be put back in place. I'm not convinced it really solved the issue but the noise is less. I still hear what appears to be an oscillating noise, especially when next to another vehicle. It's kind of annoying and it's still there after their backing plate repositioning.

Lastly the CVT is still a disaster in my opinion. My loaner Forester was so much smoother and more like an actually CVT. The CVT in the Ascent sucks and shifts like a poor operating geared transmission. Slow hesitating shifts, herky jerky operation, it's just terrible. I can honestly say at just over 27K miles that my two Foresters were more enjoyable to drive. I never even thought about the CVT in them. Ever time I accelerate in the Ascent I am reminded of the piece of garbage between the engine and the wheels. They need to code an entirely new program for the Ascent CVT and make it available to anyone who wants their Ascent to act like a true CVT. I'm over these terrible fake shift points and the crappy performance of this CVT.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,711 Posts
robn30, recalls are a GOOD thing because they are proactively addressing problems. It's not like "back in the day" when manufacturers pretty much gave a finger gesture to issues. And it's great that your dealer service took care of this one before you were even notified of the need. I'm sad that you've had so many issues with your Ascent. While most of us haven't experienced that, there are unfortunately some vehicles that seem to attract them. That's not limited to Subaru, either...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Lastly the CVT is still a disaster in my opinion. My loaner Forester was so much smoother and more like an actually CVT. The CVT in the Ascent sucks and shifts like a poor operating geared transmission. Slow hesitating shifts, herky jerky operation, it's just terrible. I can honestly say at just over 27K miles that my two Foresters were more enjoyable to drive. I never even thought about the CVT in them. Ever time I accelerate in the Ascent I am reminded of the piece of garbage between the engine and the wheels. They need to code an entirely new program for the Ascent CVT and make it available to anyone who wants their Ascent to act like a true CVT. I'm over these terrible fake shift points and the crappy performance of this CVT.
Agreed on the fake shifts - I hate them with a passion. Subaru pretty much ruined one of the best features of the CVT - how smooth and efficient it can be. They need to fix this crap but they won’t. Their minds are made up. What’s absolute nuts is they intentionally gave up fuel efficiency to create those fake shifts. There is no tranny made that is more fuel efficient than an unmolested CVT allowed to be a smooth CVT.
I see absolutely ZERO positives by adding the stupid fake shifts. They make the car annoying to drive when you have to drive faster than a grandma around town. The faster you need to accelerate for whatever reason, the more pronounced the fake shifts are as they jerk the vehicle around.
Its dumb. It’s by far the worst part about the car. I clearly knew about it before purchase and I still bought the car but dang I hate it. Especially since I owned a Subaru turbo CVT combo without the fake shifts. I know exactly what we’re missing. There should be selectable SI modes like my 14 Forester XT had to disable this, or even hide it in a menu or something. Even if I had to disable it every time I started the vehicle. Something.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My experience with the CVT in our 2019 Limited is completely different, it is always butter smooth and never fake shifts. It has always been that way. It has been our only car since January so my wife drove it as much as I did before the lockdown and if I asked her what she thought about the fake shifting she would say "what fake shifting?"

I can force it to fake shift, but I can't imagine any normal driving situation where I would need to do that. A year ago we spent 3 months and 8,400 miles on a cross country trip and could keep up with traffic anywhere we went without pushing it hard enough to fake shift.

Barring some mechanical or software problem, my (probably not popular) conclusion is that fake shifting is 100% a driver selectable option. We also get great gas mileage.

We are now at 20,000 miles and about a year and a half of ownership with zero problems of any kind other than a self inflicted dead battery a year ago, which is still going strong after just a recharge.

The fuel pump recall hasn't shown up yet for me but I'm in the date range mentioned above so I'll probably see it soon. As @Jim_in_PA stated, that is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Took my Ascent in yesterday to have the battery replaced, investigate excessive brake noise, and have the PCV recall done, and the service guy said that a new recall had just released. I guess the fuel pump is garbage too. So they also replaced that. If you have a 2019 built between June 2018 and February 2019, expect to receive the recall. I am a bit shocked at all the pieces and parts that are garbage on this vehicle, new model or not, I expect better from a manufacturer with safety at the forefront.

My battery lasted less than two years, clearly it's underrated for this vehicle or it's a piece of junk. If the replacement one goes in under two years I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet and spring for a high quality battery that will last. The brake issue was apparantly a backing plate that had shifted and needed to be put back in place. I'm not convinced it really solved the issue but the noise is less. I still hear what appears to be an oscillating noise, especially when next to another vehicle. It's kind of annoying and it's still there after their backing plate repositioning.

my transmission shifts have been smooth on my 2019 Limited.

I also have no open recalls or service campaigns both from the NHTSA and MySubaru. My build is within your referenced dates.

A quick search on NHTSA via vehicle as compared to VIN indicates the following for the fuel pump:
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V218000

Manufacturer Subaru of America, Inc.

Components FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Potential Number of Units Affected 188,207 across all models listed below

Subaru's number for this recall is WRD-20

Impacted vehicles include the
Impreza 12,747 Potentially impacted
Impreza station wagon 20,050 Potentially impacted
Outback 86,278 Potentially impacted
Ascent 40,950 Potentially impacted
Legacy - 20,182 Potentially impacted
it is a supplier issue

"How the recalled products differ from products that were not included in the recall: Included in this recall are vehicles potentially equipped with a low pressure fuel pump manufactured between April 2018 and July 2018 which may have an impeller produced under both conditions, lower density and exposure to solvent drying for longer periods of time. "

·
Registered
688 Posts
This is nothing new, everyone’s vehicle behaves the same (especially post-recall). The behavior is driver-induced. I can drive grandma-like all day on not get a single fake shift, just regular CVT action. As soon as I step into it, or go WOT is when the jerky jerky begins. It’s on all FA24DIT cars TCU programming - Outback, Legacy, Ascent.
The reviewers complain about it, owners complain about it.

Subaru full-well acknowledges why they did it.
To sell more cars - because people want the feeling of traditional shifting automatic transmissions.

it’s a garbage-move IMO and should be defeatable.

·
Registered
47 Posts

In for scheduled service today, 24k after 16 months. They told me of the fuel pump recall. I am having it done now as I am here.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
This is nothing new, everyone’s vehicle behaves the same (especially post-recall). The behavior is driver-induced. I can drive grandma-like all day on not get a single fake shift, just regular CVT action. As soon as I step into it, or go WOT is when the jerky jerky begins. It’s on all FA24DIT cars TCU programming - Outback, Legacy, Ascent.
The reviewers complain about it, owners complain about it.

Subaru full-well acknowledges why they did it.
To sell more cars - because people want the feeling of traditional shifting automatic transmissions.

it’s a garbage-move IMO and should be defeatable.
I am not defending the fake shifts or commenting against them. I drive city and highway every day and punch it when I need to. I am typically driving between 40 and 70 MPH. I am am not Andretti, but I am not grandma either and have not had that negative experience.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
To sell more cars is their reason for being, isn't it?
Subaru is not in the business to push a feature that buyers do not want unless it is mandated by government. Hence despite all the rhetoric about the virtue of small vehicles, in the US, large vehicles still outsell their smaller siblings. It will always be the case that some consumers do not like a particular feature or direction of a manufacturer. The brand wants to benefit the majority of their customers. Sometimes as individuals we are not in that category.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, recall is done. They access the gas tank from under the rear seat. Some gas smell that goes away. Tired are done after 24k miles, which is nonsense. They tried to sell me new tired for just about a grand. I told them why would I buy tires from you when you sold me a car where the tires only lasted 24k miles? Even on the 2009 Suburban I had, the original tires did a little better than 40k. Anyway, I'll go to discount tire and save some money. I will say I have another complaint for this particular dealer and that is the phone calls I have been getting to trade in my Ascent as there are people looking for used ones and calls saying we inquired about an Ascent and they were calling us back. I have told them a couple times to bugger off and they still call. I am done with Autonation. As far as the CVT goes, I am not a fan, but it is what it is. I am more annoyed by acceleration lag, especially coming out of turns. It's just not that responsive. Outside of that, it's my wife's car really and when I get my replacement, which this should have been, it'll be something different.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Well, recall is done. They access the gas tank from under the rear seat. Some gas smell that goes away. Tired are done after 24k miles, which is nonsense. They tried to sell me new tired for just about a grand. I told them why would I buy tires from you when you sold me a car where the tires only lasted 24k miles? Even on the 2009 Suburban I had, the original tires did a little better than 40k. Anyway, I'll go to discount tire and save some money. I will say I have another complaint for this particular dealer and that is the phone calls I have been getting to trade in my Ascent as there are people looking for used ones and calls saying we inquired about an Ascent and they were calling us back. I have told them a couple times to bugger off and they still call. I am done with Autonation. As far as the CVT goes, I am not a fan, but it is what it is. I am more annoyed by acceleration lag, especially coming out of turns. It's just not that responsive. Outside of that, it's my wife's car really and when I get my replacement, which this should have been, it'll be something different.
I will expect to see a posted (safe) drag race between your wife's Ascent and your new vehicle.:LOL: My OEM tires are about 24,000 and will only last between now and the winter (that includes the fact that I used winter tires this season). At least they wore evenly and I really had no complaints on their performance for what I was asking of them. OEMs are notoriously light on mileage and these were no exception to the rule.

I am planning on taking the next month to research the best new tire for mostly road with some off road adventures. The decision is only difficult to the extent I must decide what trade offs I want for my purposes. This forum has had great posts on the subject that I will go through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will expect to see a posted (safe) drag race between your wife's Ascent and your new vehicle.:LOL: My OEM tires are about 24,000 and will only last between now and the winter (that includes the fact that I used winter tires this season). At least they wore evenly and I really had no complaints on their performance for what I was asking of them. OEMs are notoriously light on mileage and these were no exception to the rule.

I am planning on taking the next month to research the best new tire for mostly road with some off road adventures. The decision is only difficult to the extent I must decide what trade offs I want for my purposes. This forum has had great posts on the subject that I will go through.
I have about a month or so before I really need to think about replacing the tires. Whatever I get, they will last longer. The dealer tried to sell me bridgestones for 960. I think I can do better on my own.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not defending the fake shifts or commenting against them. I drive city and highway every day and punch it when I need to. I am typically driving between 40 and 70 MPH. I am am not Andretti, but I am not grandma either and have not had that negative experience.
So if you go WOT it shifts smoothly? Mine is like BroDoze, absolute garbage. It shifts so slowly, huge lag between fake gears and jerky performance. Never had any of that with my 2015 Forester and only small amounts with my 2017 Forester because Subaru instituted fake shifts because of the dummies that don't understand CVTs complaining that their engine seemed to hang at a certain RPM for too long. They unfortunately had no clue of how a CVT works by staying solidly within the engines powerband, henceforth being most efficient. Those people make me angry because they have caused this fake shift absurdity.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I am now enjoying the fine smell of 87 Octane sprinkled throughout my interior. For this reason I don't agree with those that say recalls are good. Whenever you are molesting the parts of my vehicle, more bad things are usually the result. Having to replace a fuel pump at 27K miles is absolutely unsatisfactory. The engineering that went into this vehicle was shoddy and the vendors used for the parts if they weren't designed by Subaru are accountable as well. Unfortunately there really isn't any other manufacturer that is on par with the crash safety and technology to avoid crashes as Subaru. Eyesight is awesome, it's the one thing I love on my Ascent. If there are other manufacturers that compare, please fill me in, I may trade the Ascent is there is something out there that compares.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah I am now enjoying the fine smell of 87 Octane sprinkled throughout my interior. For this reason I don't agree with those that say recalls are good. Whenever you are molesting the parts of my vehicle, more bad things are usually the result. Having to replace a fuel pump at 27K miles is absolutely unsatisfactory. The engineering that went into this vehicle was shoddy and the vendors used for the parts if they weren't designed by Subaru are accountable as well. Unfortunately there really isn't any other manufacturer that is on par with the crash safety and technology to avoid crashes as Subaru. Eyesight is awesome, it's the one thing I love on my Ascent. If there are other manufacturers that compare, please fill me in, I may trade the Ascent is there is something out there that compares.
it's my wife's car, she wanted it, so that's that. I hope it holds up in the long run as we'll have it a while. We generally keep our cars min 6 years, at most 12.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
robn30, recalls are a GOOD thing because they are proactively addressing problems. It's not like "back in the day" when manufacturers pretty much gave a finger gesture to issues. And it's great that your dealer service took care of this one before you were even notified of the need. I'm sad that you've had so many issues with your Ascent. While most of us haven't experienced that, there are unfortunately some vehicles that seem to attract them. That's not limited to Subaru, either...
Although it was nice that they took care of this essential right as the recall was released, my vehicle now smells of gas. This is why I would rather they just get it right the first time. Same with the CVT I replaced. My brakes still aren't quite right, I will probably have to take it back again and take the service rep for a ride to explain the noise I'm hearing.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
So if you go WOT it shifts smoothly? Mine is like BroDoze, absolute garbage. It shifts so slowly, huge lag between fake gears and jerky performance. Never had any of that with my 2015 Forester and only small amounts with my 2017 Forester because Subaru instituted fake shifts because of the dummies that don't understand CVTs complaining that their engine seemed to hang at a certain RPM for too long. They unfortunately had no clue of how a CVT works by staying solidly within the engines powerband, henceforth being most efficient. Those people make me angry because they have caused this fake shift absurdity.
My vehicle shifts smoothly and is responsive (not using paddle shifters), so I would suggest you test drive some other Ascent units to demonstrate to your dealer that your unit is not functioning properly. You also might plug in a telematic device that can record your experience as you drive (there is a thread on device options). When I need to accelerate away from a bad driver or pass a semi without lingering, I have no issues with the acceleration (not my video). It is not a Porsche, but it is more than up to the task. I have driven fast vehicles whether they were small sports cars or a large but powerful Rolls Royce and this Ascent is neither, but I knew that going into the deal (so did my wallet). The 2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS ($145,000 and 3153 lbs) will get to 60MPH in about 3 seconds whereas the Ascent ($40,000 and 4515 lbs.) will reach that point in just under 7 seconds.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts