Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the fuel pump recall fixed Friday, it sat undriven the rest of the day and on Saturday, then my wife drove it 100-150 miles Sunday, no issues.

Start the car this Morning and the dashboard check engine (Solid), brake (Not Park Brake) and 5-6 Eye sight related icons are lit. and next to the Park symbol an icon that looks like a car on a wavy river!

Any ideas? Goes to Subaru this Afternoon and I get a loaner ....

Also I have had for over a year the mysterious rattle in the front right. They heard it the other day when they did the recall but didn't have time to diagnose it further beyond checking the car for safety, so I will make them keep it for that too this time.

Any ideas?!?!
Dan

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Had the fuel pump recall fixed Friday, it sat undriven the rest of the day and on Saturday, then my wife drove it 100-150 miles Sunday, no issues.

Start the car this Morning and the dashboard check engine (Solid), brake (Not Park Brake) and 5-6 Eye sight related icons are lit. and next to the Park symbol an icon that looks like a car on a wavy river!

Also I have had for over a year the mysterious rattle in the front right. They heard it the other day when they did the recall but didn't have time to diagnose it further beyond checking the car for safety, so I will make them keep it for that too this time.

Any ideas?!?!
Dan
There was a post in the last week or so on this forum with a similar issue after this recall was performed. For this owner the dealership found that the top cover to the fuel tank (or at least I believe that was the issue) had not been properly aligned when fastened, which caused this issue - not unlike what happens when you have a loose gas cap. I remember when my dealership performed the recall it took an inordinate amount of time, and the service manager stated that putting this top cover back on was a precise, and at times a frustrating aspect for the tech performing the recall.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That interesting, I will try to search for it. perhaps not coincidentally, I found the gas door slightly open after they did the job when I got it open, and this Morning the door was ajar again. I just thought maybe my wife didn't shut it properly because I know she bought gas on her trip. because I brought the Ascent to the dealer pretty low on gas for the recall. The tank would normally lock when the car is locked.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
That interesting, I will try to search for it. perhaps not coincidentally, I found the gas door slightly open after they did the job when I got it open, and this Morning the door was ajar again. I just thought maybe my wife didn't shut it properly because I know she bought gas on her trip. because I brought the Ascent to the dealer pretty low on gas for the recall. The tank would normally lock when the car is locked.
The gas door being ajar shouldn't cause any problem, but a loose gas cap can.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Check this link out: Check engine light side affects

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this exact same issue

It first happened on Memorial Day weekend. We had driven about 250 miles from home. I got in the car one day, and all the lights came on. It was late Friday. I was nowhere close to a dealer, and the national customer service line was no help at all. I called the dealer that I use for service. The service department was closed, but a salesman told me to just pull the positive cable off the battery for a few seconds, and the system would reset. I did so, and everything performed normally.

The next time it happened, I had driven about 100 miles. Again, it was late in the day. But I was not far from my home dealership. So I stopped by. They couldn't take me in. But they checked, and told me it was an “evap” problem. They cleared it so I could drive home.

I called my usual service advisor at the dealership near my home the next day. They said they couldn't do anything, if the lights weren't on. No interest if pursuing it further. Even though I told him that the other dealership informed us where to look. He just blew me off.

It happened a third time in August. We were again about 250 miles from home. It was a weekend, and we were not near a dealership. I just pulled the cable, and got on with our trip.

But I was pissed. I spent almost 40K for this car, and it had less than 13K miles. I wasn't getting any meaningful help, from anyone. Plus, we purchased this vehicle specifically to travel and maybe tow a small pop up camper. Having an issue every 250 miles was far from ideal.

I was due for an oil change, and called the national line again. No help. Can't fix what we can't duplicate, yadah, yadah. I asked if they just couldn't put it on a scope when they did the oil change. Same yadah, yadah. I don't know why I bother to call.

I called my service advisor at the dealership that does my service. My service advisor didn't call me back. Which is his usual.

I called the service manager. I told him my problem, and asked if he wanted to go on a 200 mile ride with me. That seemed to be the only way to duplicate it. He was friendly, and laughed. I was joking anyway. I then asked if he could at least throw it on the scope. He thought for a second, and said “Sure, why not?”. He also assigned me a new service advisor.

I was in the waiting room for only about 15 minutes, when the service manager came out. They had found the issue. There were also a lot of old codes in the system.

So here ya go:

I had the same warranty fuel pump replacement. Subaru didn't mandate changing out the O ring at the same time. So the O ring had failed. Causing the evap problem. It takes some driving before it happens again.

They changed out the faulty O ring. I was given a loaner car, and was able to get my Ascent back the next day.

That seems to have fixed it. So far, so good. But I haven't taken it on a long trip yet.

I am grateful to the service manager for agreeing to look at it. But I resent that Subaru national customer service was so useless. I am still a little upset that I had to be such a squeaky wheel to get this issue looked into.

I love my Ascent. But I am worried that Subaru doesn't seem to love their customers. So now I am worried about the next time I have an issue. It has undermined my confidence in the brand.

Oh yeah. I had noticed a dip in fuel economy as well. It improved after the O-ring replacement. So even if you are not getting all of the warning lights, you might ask the dealership to look at this. That is, if you can get someone to listen to you.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Any ideas?!?!
Dan
Same thing happened to me ; took it to the dealer ; supposedly the gas cap ( according to them ) was the issue ; this car gas had more issues than it’s worth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts