Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone jad issues with fuel economy in their Ascent Touring when they first picked it up? Small sample size as I have only driven about 300 mi, however, I am barely getting 22 mpg highway and 17/18 city.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...onomy/1911-anyone-seeing-low-gas-mileage.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...el-economy/2113-whats-your-mpg-averaging.html

There's a couple of links to read up on. You're right in the range of normal, especially during the break-in period. Many people say that mileage gets better after break-in (or even 5-10k miles). The MPG on my last Outback was pretty consistent from day 1. My Ascent seems similar. I've got about 3000 miles now and average about 20MPG - mostly city/traffic. YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
I have A Limited with #23 and some other options. Today, I did a 176 mile round trip with 2 people and some luggage on the outbound leg and 1 person on the return leg, all interstate highways, except for 2 miles of surface streets at each end. On the return leg the odometer rolled over 1000 miles. The ACC was set for 75 MPH on the outbound leg where there was about 2 miles of stop & go due to an accident, which the ACC handled without my intervention. I set the ACC for 70 MPH on the return leg.

My indicated gas mileage at the end of this trip on 87 octane was 26.8 mpg.

I am happy with that. Until today, all of my driving has been city/urban with 20-21 mpg indicated.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have A Limited with #23 and some other options. Today, I did a 176 mile round trip with 2 people and some luggage on the outbound leg and 1 person on the return leg, all interstate highways, except for 2 miles of surface streets at each end. On the return leg the odometer rolled over 1000 miles. The ACC was set for 75 MPH on the outbound leg where there was about 2 miles of stop & go due to an accident, which the ACC handled without my intervention. I set the ACC for 70 MPH on the return leg.

My indicated gas mileage at the end of this trip on 87 octane was 26.8 mpg.

I am happy with that. Until today, all of my driving has been city/urban with 20-21 mpg indicated.
Similar here. My mixed driving always gets me 20 MPG. When I'm only on the highway it's easy to get into the higher 20s. I had an easy commute this morning and the computer was reading 28MPG when I got to work. Driving through all of the gates and parking lot brought it back down to 25.5. It will be back to 20 by the end of the week, unfortunately. Not surprising, but I expected a 1-2MPG better than I'm getting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So far, my Ascent is averaging 15 MPG after 500 miles, all city though. And we live in Pittsburgh, so a lot of hills. I am hoping this improves as the engine breaks in. I am looking forward to a highway trip to see how it goes. A factor that could be in play: We've had "Full Auto" on the climate control and that always has the AC on. We're turning that off to see how much it improves.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
So far, my Ascent is averaging 15 MPG after 500 miles, all city though. And we live in Pittsburgh, so a lot of hills. I am hoping this improves as the engine breaks in. I am looking forward to a highway trip to see how it goes. A factor that could be in play: We've had "Full Auto" on the climate control and that always has the AC on. We're turning that off to see how much it improves.
It takes a few thousand miles, but, yes, it will. As a matter of fact, there are those who've found their gas mileage in other Subies continues to improve for the first 10,000-25,000 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm almost at 5k on my Limited. Drove around 350+ miles this past weekend, and only got about 20 MPG, mostly highway though, which is weird because I've done this drive in the past, and got about 23/24 MPG.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Causes of lost mpg

I'm almost at 5k on my Limited. Drove around 350+ miles this past weekend, and only got about 20 MPG, mostly highway though, which is weird because I've done this drive in the past, and got about 23/24 MPG.

I have a few thoughts...

POSSIBILITY 1:
Perhaps it's the "winter blend" affecting it? I don't know when each area switches over, but I am curious how it will affect the Ascent's gas mileage.

How much it affects each car is a bit different, and, from what those who own performance Subies have said (eg: turbo Subies such as the Foz XT, STI and WRX), it's a decent hit.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/49483/fuel-mileage-dropping-blame-the-winter-blend-gasoline

POSSIBILITY 2:
Check your air pressure (before driving, outside, when tires are cold). My tires have already lost 5psi due to changes in temperature from when I bought the car and the weather was 85-95°.

When the tire pressure is low, it can have a big impact on gas mileage.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.jsp

Otherwise...
...it could just be how you or the car is driving. I find that even with ACC active, I cannot get consistent gas mileage, because it all depends on the actions of the lead car. I test on a very flat roadway 3 days a week, and, I've been studiously watching the mpg yellow<->green gauge, and, every time the car has to speed back up because of a lead car that can't maintain a single speed, I see the mpg gauge plummet.

Today was particularly horrible with people continuously speeding up and slowing down. Other days, when the road is empty, and ACC is just maintaining a steady speed, I've hit 28-30 mpg on the same stretch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a few thoughts...

Perhaps it's the "winter blend" affecting it? I don't know when each area switches over, but I am curious how it will affect the Ascent's gas mileage.
I have had 3 Foresters and 1 outback and they all get 2-3 miles less when the winter fuel comes around. I noticed it on my Ascent this past fill. Not sure if it is winter blend or a change to Costco fuel.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
266 Posts
Otherwise...
...it could just be how you or the car is driving.

I'm more inclined to think the driver changed. Without you even noticing, your brain adapts to the car and corrects the throttle position to get the acceleration you want. As you drive more and more, your brain becomes another ECU that controls the car's ECU, if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a few thoughts...

POSSIBILITY 1:

How much it affects each car is a bit different, and, from what those who own performance Subies have said (eg: turbo Subies such as the Foz XT, STI and WRX), it's a decent hit.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/49483/fuel-mileage-dropping-blame-the-winter-blend-gasoline

POSSIBILITY 2:
Check your air pressure (before driving, outside, when tires are cold). My tires have already lost 5psi due to changes in temperature from when I bought the car and the weather was 85-95°.

Otherwise...
...it could just be how you or the car is driving. I find that even with ACC active, I cannot get consistent gas mileage, because it all depends on the actions of the lead car. I test on a very flat roadway 3 days a week, and, I've been studiously watching the mpg yellow<->green gauge, and, every time the car has to speed back up because of a lead car that can't maintain a single speed, I see the mpg gauge plummet.

Today was particularly horrible with people continuously speeding up and slowing down. Other days, when the road is empty, and ACC is just maintaining a steady speed, I've hit 28-30 mpg on the same stretch.
Thanks Robert. To be honest, I did use ACC most of the time during the first run, and did hit a higher MPG but without it, it tends to be a bit lower. Let me monitor the next 350+ miles roadtrip, using mostly ACC. I did use 87 instead of 91 though this time around, so maybe that affected the MPG. It seems there are many factors that could contribute to the lower MPG.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a few thoughts...

POSSIBILITY 1:

POSSIBILITY 2:

Otherwise...

CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE. Due to the cold weather I dropped from 34-35psi all the way down to 29(cold tire). My fuel economy went down to the 21-22mpg until I had a chance to put air back in and now I'm back to 24-26mpg(50/50 city&highway). I was getting better gas mileage during the summer but I guess the winter gas is here now because I cannot break past 26mpg. My suggestions for better gas mileage is
1. Check your tire pressures. I know recommend for the 20inch tire is 33 but I think the sweet spot is 35(cold).
2. Wait until your first oil change to see it get better. After my oil change my gas mileage went up and was consistent.
3. Adjust your foot& throttle. I try to get to my desired speed quickly and then I just rest my foot on the pedal enough to maintain speed and not give alot of throttle. If your always fluctuating speed then your just wasting gas on any car you drive. City driving is rough and I have no tips, I estimate I get around 16-17 city, its a heavy car so it makes sense I guess.
4. This is just my observation but it could be in my head but the ascent does not like mom and pop/no name gas stations. I was using a GULF station and a gas station called American by my house for quick gas. It seemed to run out faster than when I use BP/sunoco.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've gone a few days now without "Full Auto" and the AC on (which it uses seemingly no matter what the temp), and my mileage on the current tank has risen from 14-15 mpg to 18-19 mpg, it's about half full now. Reading all of the responses, I think I'll feel better about the mileage after the first oil change and as it breaks in.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Thanks Robert. To be honest, I did use ACC most of the time during the first run, and did hit a higher MPG but without it, it tends to be a bit lower. Let me monitor the next 350+ miles roadtrip, using mostly ACC. I did use 87 instead of 91 though this time around, so maybe that affected the MPG. It seems there are many factors that could contribute to the lower MPG.
I found that continually swapping octanes forced the computer to re-learn, making things bad for a little bit. After two full tanks of 87, I ended up seeing better gas mileage than a few full tanks of 93 - but on my first tank swap to 87, things were not improved, and, when I pushed the car, slightly worse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just rolled over 2000 miles. 24.5 mpg combined, 93 octane, tire pressure @ 33psi.
Are you using 93 octane by preference? The car is designed to run on 87.
Yup just personal preference. Actually gonna switch to 87 soon and run that for a few thousand miles to see if there's any difference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone out there track mileage the good old fashioned way, or is that just me? I keep a spreadsheet on my Google Drive that I can access on my phone and track my current vehicles that way. I've found it to be much more consistent than the computer in my Ram 1500 as it shows a true lifetime average, not a 'rolling' average where older data falls off. I plan on doing the same as soon as my Ascent is in the driveway. I also use https://www.fueleconomy.gov/ for research on new and used vehicles, and find it's a pretty accurate tool.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Does anyone out there track mileage the good old fashioned way, or is that just me? I keep a spreadsheet on my Google Drive that I can access on my phone and track my current vehicles that way. I've found it to be much more consistent than the computer in my Ram 1500 as it shows a true lifetime average, not a 'rolling' average where older data falls off. I plan on doing the same as soon as my Ascent is in the driveway. I also use https://www.fueleconomy.gov/ for research on new and used vehicles, and find it's a pretty accurate tool.
I track it using the Simply Auto on my phone. I also track all money spent on the car so I can see a cost per mile which I think is an important metric for the true cost of car ownership. I'm hoping that this car will end up with a total cost per mile below $1 and hopefully closer to 50 cents but it will depend on fuel costs along with maintenance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used "Mileage Keeper" on my iPhone for several years. It tracks several vehicles and shows average mileage from the first day as well as economy at each fill up.

My 2016 Outback 3.6R recorded an average of 22 mpg consistantly from day 1. So far, my 2019 Ascent Touring is showing 20.1 mpg average after 1391 miles on the odometer (5 refills). This more or less matches the car's computer - the 2nd trip odometer has not yet been reset, so it's using total miles driven since delivery.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts