Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During test drive at the dealer, I was able to pop open the fuel door when Ascent was unlocked. I was told it is tied to the lock/unlock state of Ascent. I did not get to check it out on a locked Ascent.

For those who already have one and are enjoying the ride, I would like to confirm if fuel door stays locked when Ascent is locked.

Thank you

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, w/ Tech Package
60 Posts
One thing I don't like about that idea is that if you want to lock your doors while fueling, you have to leave the driver's door unlocked to open the fuel door, then unlock it again to close it, unless the latch design allows you to close the fuel door while the Ascent is still locked.

·
Registered
494 Posts
During test drive at the dealer, I was able to pop open the fuel door when Ascent was unlocked. I was told it is tied to the lock/unlock state of Ascent. I did not get to check it out on a locked Ascent.

For those who already have one and are enjoying the ride, I would like to confirm if fuel door stays locked when Ascent is locked.

Thank you

Confirmed, the fuel door stays locked when the car is locked.

·
Registered
225 Posts

Thank you
Fuel door locks and unlocks with the doors.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Fuel door locks and unlocks with the doors.

That is a poor design - seems like an invitation for thieves to pilfer your Ascent while you are pumping gas. It happens all the time with people taking purses out of vehicles while the owner is pumping the fuel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That is a poor design - seems like an invitation for thieves to pilfer your Ascent while you are pumping gas. It happens all the time with people taking purses out of vehicles while the owner is pumping the fuel.
Fair point, but can't you just lock the car with the fob after popping the gas cover open? Or are you concerned that that window of time might be enough for some nefarious-ness?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Fair point, but can't you just lock the car with the fob after popping the gas cover open? Or are you concerned that that window of time might be enough for some nefarious-ness?
Great point, but how many Subaru owners, with kids to manage at the same time, will even think to do that. I probably exaggerated the issue a little, but sometimes improvements are no improvement at all.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Can you cite statistics?

OMG, it's on the local news every day - with camera footage asking if anyone knows who it was. That's also why my Outback is set for the keyfob to only open the driver side door not the other ones. Don't want anyone 'jumping' in from the other side.

260 in Nashville last year and "Four of those carjackings happened at the Z Mart gas station on Lafayette Street, which is just south of downtown Nashville."

Quote: "Carjackings are on the rise nationwide. According to experts, part of the reason for the spike is the new technology installed in your car, which makes it harder for crooks to steal your vehicle without you in it."

·
Registered
313 Posts
OMG, it's on the local news every day - with camera footage asking if anyone knows who it was. That's also why my Outback is set for the keyfob to only open the driver side door not the other ones. Don't want anyone 'jumping' in from the other side.
The same incident or separate events?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Well, short version is, if it's a concern in everyone's area or not, or if you're in an area where you can flip the little holding bar and walk away from the pump and car, it shouldn't be a problem, because, as noted, one can get out of the car, open the filler cover, and then lock the car with the FOB (or with the door sensor, if so equipped).

Beauty of the ones that work with the FOB sensing and door sensors is I can pop the filler door open, and just tap the front of the door handle, do my business, and then pop the filler cover closed, and touch the inside of the handle to seamlessly unlock, open the door and get in.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here I am living in an area where people leave their cars running and unlocked while they run into the gas station. I guess I am lucky that the thought of someone trying to get into my car while pumping gas has never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here I am living in an area where people leave their cars running and unlocked while they run into the gas station. I guess I am lucky that the thought of someone trying to get into my car while pumping gas has never crossed my mind.
YES!!! I was thinking the same at first, like what’s the big deal. I never lock my car or worry about taking the keys out. Makes me love my small town living and thankful I’m not living in a high crime big city!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
YES!!! I was thinking the same at first, like what’s the big deal. I never lock my car or worry about taking the keys out. Makes me love my small town living and thankful I’m not living in a high crime big city!
Well, to be fair, I've never stolen anything in my life, and with a father who was a cop who'd beat me to death if I did, I am not quite sure what would happen if I saw either of your Ascents sitting running in a parking lot in the days before I got mine...

...I'm not saying I'd steal them... just maybe... borrow... them? :grin: :tango_face_surprise :tango_face_wink:

On a serious note, I am a bit more worried about my Ascent just because it's a definite step closer to "luxury car" looking (especially the Touring interior) than previous Subarus.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, to be fair, I've never stolen anything in my life, and with a father who was a cop who'd beat me to death if I did, I am not quite sure what would happen if I saw either of your Ascents sitting running in a parking lot in the days before I got mine...

...I'm not saying I'd steal them... just maybe... borrow... them?

On a serious note, I am a bit more worried about my Ascent just because it's a definite step closer to "luxury car" looking (especially the Touring interior) than previous Subarus.
Hahaha! I know who to look for now! ??

I agree about the luxury feel! We got the touring as well with almost every add on! Might be time to start locking a car up, well if we ever get it! Hahaha! ?‍♀?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Can always get the pit bull alarm they are popular in Chicago LOL. All seriousness aside I need to be more cautious but always have my wallet with me. Not sure what they would steal. IMO this crime targets women because of their purses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too do not understand why Subaru would 1) put the gas tank fill on the passenger side and 2) require that the car was unlocked to open the gas door. Seems like it would make more sense to have the door on the drivers side for two reason: one is security - as mentioned earlier in these posts and 2) most often it is the driver who fills the car. During the really cold or crummy weather I will start pumping them want to sit in my warm car until done. Whilst I can do this with the gas door where it is, it is just not as convenient.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Safety...

I too do not understand why Subaru would 1) put the gas tank fill on the passenger side
Safety. Many people get run over or hit while trying to fill their tank with a gas can after having run out somewhere on the road.

2) require that the car was unlocked to open the gas door. Seems like it would make more sense to have the door on the drivers side for two reason: one is security - as mentioned earlier in these posts and 2) most often it is the driver who fills the car. During the really cold or crummy weather I will start pumping them want to sit in my warm car until done. Whilst I can do this with the gas door where it is, it is just not as convenient.
Kinda explains part of the reason behind #2.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My last few cars also had the gas filler on passenger side. One time I did run out of gas (way long ago), and the AAA tow guy said he appreciated filling gas on the passenger side because it's so much safer when pulled into the shoulder. Since then, I haven't minded walking around.
F.S.
[Edit: he beat me to it!]

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
It's all about how much caffeine I've had...

My last few cars also had the gas filler on passenger side. One time I did run out of gas (way long ago), and the AAA tow guy said he appreciated filling gas on the passenger side because it's so much safer when pulled into the shoulder. Since then, I haven't minded walking around.
F.S.
[Edit: he beat me to it!]
I had a lot of coffee today. :grin:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts