Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

Does anybody know can the front view camera install to the ascent limited? I asked my dealer and unfortunately the sale said it's not an accessory for limited trim. Can I just purchase the part online and install it on your own? Did anyone try to install it successfully ?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
I believe there is at least one discussion if not more on this in down in the technical forum discussion areas...it's not "a part"...it's parts/programming, etc.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For 2018 STI (and Limited WRX), the camera uses 4 wires which include one wire that acts as a "camera detection connection" (Ref. FSM Wiring System p. WI-226 to WI-227). Furthermore, a tutorial (to add a front camera) have shown that there's no programming needed for the WRX Limited, because once the camera is connected, the MFD recognize it, we just have to press "Enter" button to activate the camera.

I think the Ascent has the same formulation, Limited do not come w/ front camera but there's at least the "bulkhead" and "front" wiring harnesses and MFD, allowing for almost plug-and-play. I just need to grab the "Front View Monitor" wiring diagram(s) from the FSM for the 2019 Ascent to confirm my hunch. Then conduct the test w/ a camera. That's ($220 for the camera + $35 for the 72hr FSM access).

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just need to grab the "Front View Monitor" wiring diagram(s) from the FSM for the 2019 Ascent to confirm my hunch.
According to the diagram, camera has 4 wires wired to connector B284. This is connected to the i112/B60 connection point (pins52,53,42,41)*. Which then goes to the MFD connector i122 (pins 1-4).
In words:
MFD(i122, pin1, BLACK wire) to i112/B60 pin 52, then RED wire to B284 pin3, BLACK wire to camera
MFD(i122, pin2, RED wire) to i112/B60 pin 53, then BLACK wire to B284 pin1, WHITE wire to camera
MFD(i122, pin3, WHITE wire) to i112/B60 pin 42, then GREEN wire to B284 pin2, GREEN wire to camera
MFD(i122, pin4, GREEN wire) to i112/B60 pin 41, then WHITE wire to B284 pin4, RED wire to camera

·
Registered
684 Posts
MFD is same on Ascent Touring and Limited ...
question if wiring available ...
i like to know if US Forester MFD can support camera... (it is an option in other countries)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
MFD is same on Ascent Touring and Limited ...
question if wiring available ...
i like to know if US Forester MFD can support camera... (it is an option in other countries)
I'll conduct the research on the implementation side. can you put in some work and figure out how to access the back of the MFD (if we must run the wires directly)?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The Limited and Touring Ascents use MFD 85261XC110 (camera support)

The Base and Premium Ascent, as well as the same Forester trims, use 85261FL021 (no camera support, I assume)

The Upper Trim Foresters use 85261SJ110 (*)

I will try to post, paraphrasing the FSM, how to access the MFD, later.

·
Registered
498 Posts
To get access to the MFD:
  1. Disconnect the battery
  2. Remove the side trim pieces for the center a/c vents. There are 6 clips, 2 above the vent, 1 at the bottom of the trim piece, and 3 about even with the radio/ac knobs
  3. Remove the hazard switch assembly. Looks like 3 clips on the bottom and 4 notches along the top
  4. Remove the center grille speaker assembly. Looks like 7 clips, 4 front, 3 back and 1 tab on each side.
  5. Remove the grilles for the front speakers. 4 clips 8 tabs?. You may need to disconnect the right speaker.
  6. Remove the A pillar trim panels. Looks like a pull toward center of vehicle and then some rotation. This step needs more description, be careful.
  7. Looks like 26 clips to remove the dash trim piece
  8. 2 screws on the MFD and you are done
Sound fun? This is per the FSM.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The Upper Trim Foresters use 85261SJ110 (support Camera, I assume)
im not not so sure
85261SJ110 listed for
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Base Premium2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Limited w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Premium w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Sport w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Touring w/EyeSight2019

but they also have 85261SJ310 and it not listed on any US model

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
To get access to the MFD:
  1. Disconnect the battery
  2. Remove the side trim pieces for the center a/c vents. There are 6 clips, 2 above the vent, 1 at the bottom of the trim piece, and 3 about even with the radio/ac knobs
  3. Remove the hazard switch assembly. Looks like 3 clips on the bottom and 4 notches along the top
  4. Remove the center grille speaker assembly. Looks like 7 clips, 4 front, 3 back and 1 tab on each side.
  5. Remove the grilles for the front speakers. 4 clips 8 tabs?. You may need to disconnect the right speaker.
  6. Remove the A pillar trim panels. Looks like a pull toward center of vehicle and then some rotation. This step needs more description, be careful.
  7. Looks like 26 clips to remove the dash trim piece
  8. 2 screws on the MFD and you are done
Sound fun? This is per the FSM.
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
im not not so sure
85261SJ110 listed for
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Base Premium2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Limited w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Premium w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Sport w/EyeSight2019
Subaru Forester 2.5L CVT Touring w/EyeSight2019

but they also have 85261SJ310 and it not listed on any US model
I misread/mis-assumed the initial post....removing(supports camera) from my reply

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also note the front grille is different for touring with camera, it is: 91121XC01A

The other trims do not have the proper cutout.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Also note the front grille is different for touring with camera, it is: 91121XC01A

The other trims do not have the proper cutout.
The two grills should have different part numbers because the Touring grill is black while the other trims have dark gray. I could swear I saw the camera cutout on my Limited grill, but I would need to double check that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The two grills should have different part numbers because the Touring grill is black while the other trims have dark gray. I could swear I saw the camera cutout on my Limited grill, but I would need to double check that.
You can see where it would be cut out, but no, it is not actually cut out on the 2020 Limited grill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I caved and bought the 3 day STI access.

The front view monitor camera (86357XC000) plugs into B284 (4 wires, R, G, B, W) which is shown in the photo of the Touring's camera connector in the Ascent FB group. B284 is not on the 2020 Limited, confirmed via visual inspection. B284 on the Touring goes directly to B60 which is the big ass harness with 86 wires going in the bulkhead. At B60, wires 52,53,42,41 are the 4 used by the camera.

So from what I can decipher in the STI site, the camera wiring for the Limited would need to be run all the way to the bulkhead and B60 harness and can't use any intermediary harness as is the case on the WRX.

parts.subaru.com isn't updated for the 2020 Ascent yet and I can't find a way to get part numbers from STI.

Based on all that it doesn't look quite as easy as on the WRX. Perhaps someone else can chime in who's gone further than I have.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
There’s not a lot of hope for Limited folks. I was hoping they leave the wires for the front cameras at B60 harness (contains nearly 90pins, located inside cabin above drivers kick area) but after exhaustive inspection of both sides of the B60 harness, the pins were empty. Note: within the B60 bulkhead harness, the green sub-harness (20-24awg wires)is supposed to be for the camera wires. The female end of bulkhead harness is easily removed by the swinging clip; the male end can be popped out by wedging two small flat screwdriver at top and bottom...

The only way is to directly connect to the MFD, which is likely a monumental task.

I subscribed to STIS for 72hrs. If anyone need anything specific, lmk. note about STIS: if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro, the print to adobe PDF retains all links ... pretty nice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts