Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got back from front runners outfitters out in Agoura Hills, ca. Got the perfect size for our ascents that do not interfere with the sunroof( whether tilted or fully open). They will have a catalog for sizing and options for the car soon. From adding a kayak to snowboards to storage to a rooftop tent, the options are limitless. Check out frontrunneroutfitters.com

Attachments

Reactions: JaxAero and FoRealz

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Hey guys, just got back from front runners outfitters out in Agoura Hills, ca. Got the perfect size for our ascents that do not interfere with the sunroof( whether tilted or fully open). They will have a catalog for sizing and options for the car soon. From adding a kayak to snowboards to storage to a rooftop tent, the options are limitless. Check out frontrunneroutfitters.com
Nice! I ride my MTB at Cheeseboro a lot :)

Which model did you go with?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was gonna hit them up about test fitting. Beat me to it! Looks great!

Curious to hear about your feedback after you’ve had it for a while.

Wind noise
MPG impact, etc

Streets

- 35mph sunroof tilted. You hear a slight whistle, but nothing "annoying" about it.
-35mph sunroof open all the way. There is definitely air trying its best to get around the rails. No vibrations or annoying sounds as well.
-35mph with the sunroof completely closed along with the cover. Its like its not even there.

Freeway
- 70mph. tilted. Here is where its quite noticeable that the wind deflector that is installed is pushing the air towards the glass and the "whooshing" noice is there.
-70mph. Open. With the sunroof completely open, the deflector again is channeling the air to the cabin but again pretty noticeable. But at least, No serious vibrations coming from the rails or the rack. You really do not get that feeling like its going to snap off and fly away. Time will tell when i add the storage bin and accessories.

Overall:
-My mpg on the street is nearly identical with out it. about 17mpg stop and go. (on a side note, i added 89octane for the first time, my first few fills were with 91oct. I saw my average go to as high as 20mpg, Me and the wife got excited since i have been griping about it with her and the boards and FB. I am at 1700mi on the ODO. ) So with the rack on on the streets its a overall great upgrade as far as versatility in storage and looks.
-My MPG on the hwy using eyesight on ECO mode at 70mph, my average was 18mpg. That was about a solid 12miles from frontrunner outfitters to my place. With a few slow downs on the 101frwy I think the avg was really accurate. Im still hoping it will go up with the more miles we put on the vehicle.
-So as far as aesthetics, everyone agrees it adds some "character" and "offroad-abliltiy" to the car. ++
-Functionality, Which i got it for, is limitless!!
-Would i recommend? **** YES! :smile:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Which size/width of rack did you end up going with? Also, did it come with the strap-on feet or grab-on feet? Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Streets

- 35mph sunroof tilted. You hear a slight whistle, but nothing "annoying" about it.
-35mph sunroof open all the way. There is definitely air trying its best to get around the rails. No vibrations or annoying sounds as well.
-35mph with the sunroof completely closed along with the cover. Its like its not even there.

Freeway
- 70mph. tilted. Here is where its quite noticeable that the wind deflector that is installed is pushing the air towards the glass and the "whooshing" noice is there.
-70mph. Open. With the sunroof completely open, the deflector again is channeling the air to the cabin but again pretty noticeable. But at least, No serious vibrations coming from the rails or the rack. You really do not get that feeling like its going to snap off and fly away. Time will tell when i add the storage bin and accessories.

Overall:
-My mpg on the street is nearly identical with out it. about 17mpg stop and go. (on a side note, i added 89octane for the first time, my first few fills were with 91oct. I saw my average go to as high as 20mpg, Me and the wife got excited since i have been griping about it with her and the boards and FB. I am at 1700mi on the ODO. ) So with the rack on on the streets its a overall great upgrade as far as versatility in storage and looks.
-My MPG on the hwy using eyesight on ECO mode at 70mph, my average was 18mpg. That was about a solid 12miles from frontrunner outfitters to my place. With a few slow downs on the 101frwy I think the avg was really accurate. Im still hoping it will go up with the more miles we put on the vehicle.
-So as far as aesthetics, everyone agrees it adds some "character" and "offroad-abliltiy" to the car. ++
-Functionality, Which i got it for, is limitless!!
-Would i recommend? **** YES! 😄
Thanks for the great review. How many slats in the rack? Do you think Front Runner could lengthen the rack a little by one additional slat?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,505 Posts
I do not see that they list the ascent as an option for their slimline rack. please provide a link to the rack itself that is for the ascent

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I do not see front runner listing the ascent on their site for OEM rail mounted racks. Here we are in 9/21 and nothing yet? How did you work this out?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do not see front runner listing the ascent on their site for OEM rail mounted racks. Here we are in 9/21 and nothing yet? How did you work this out?
I haven't gone through with a purchase yet, but if you contact Front Runner support they will add the correct parts to your shopping cart. My cart got wiped out at some point and I failed to capture which parts they were :/. Will just repeat the process if I decide to buy...

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I haven't gone through with a purchase yet, but if you contact Front Runner support they will add the correct parts to your shopping cart. My cart got wiped out at some point and I failed to capture which parts they were :/. Will just repeat the process if I decide to buy...
I called them today. they are going through the last bit of assuring proper fit for the Ascent. He stated it would be about another two months before it would be available.

·
Registered
78 Posts
for my model it’s always sold out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts