Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Ascent Limited... I noticed a heavy vibration when braking (especially downhill) on this beast and talked with my dealer at the 6k service. Rotors were inspected and replaced (after turning/trimming them failed to fix the issue). Now I'm about 500 miles from the 12k service and I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Poor driving habits? Doubtful. In addition to 1/3 of this vehicle's mileage being highway, we baby our vehicles. My 2016 Legacy (48k miles) still has he original brakes and rotors on it. My wife's previous vehicle (17 Outback) was turned in off lease at 35k with the original brakes and rotors.

On a side note, I noticed the Ascent is no longer being recommended by Consumer Reports (rated a 60 overall). I love this black beauty, but kinda wishing I had went with a Telluride...

(photo was taken after I had just completed ceramic coating).

Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Flag Automotive design

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,282 Posts
That does seem out of the ordinary -- to have rotors that are in such poor condition they need to be replaced. There is an updated brake pad kit available through Subaru (which your dealer should fit to the car under warranty). I think most people have reported their rotors to be just fine -- and it's only the pads that need replacing.

Our 2020 model has the brake squeal and I need to make an appointment to have the new pads fitted. We have no vibration, though, so I suspect our rotors are in fine shape still.

Did your dealer also replace the brake pads at the 6k mile mark when they replaced the rotors? If not, it's possible those original pads are ruining the new rotors the same way they ruined the first pair. I suspect the new pads will clear all of that up for you.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,282 Posts

There's the thread about the brake pad part numbers. You should NOT have to pay out of pocket for Subaru to replace them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

There's the thread about the brake pad part numbers. You should NOT have to pay out of pocket for Subaru to replace them.
Great, thanks! Happy motoring!

·
Registered
639 Posts

Technically rotors are not considered warranty part. I called SOA and that's what the person on the phone I spoke with told me. My dealership did resurface mine (good faith) I suppose. But they did replace the pads as it's considered a wearable warranty part.

Any case, to the op of you really want a telluride there's nothing stopping you. Trade it in and take your loss and call it good.

I know it's frustrating on a new car but every car has a problem. Lol even Toyota and all the dealership will say is it's normal.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,282 Posts
The TSB includes resurfacing the rotors if required and provides a warranty labor amount for that. It does instruct the technician to "resurface or replace the rotors as conditions dictate" but does not include any warranty information for replacement...only for resurfacing...interesting.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Technically rotors are not considered warranty part. I called SOA and that's what the person on the phone I spoke with told me. My dealership did resurface mine (good faith) I suppose. But they did replace the pads as it's considered a wearable warranty part.

Any case, to the op of you really want a telluride there's nothing stopping you. Trade it in and take your loss and call it good.

I know it's frustrating on a new car but every car has a problem. Lol even Toyota and all the dealership will say is it's normal.
the rotors are absolutely under warranty (resurface or replacement) but they need to be inspected and approved to determine that there was not driver abuse. I know this from just having to go through this for another Subaru we own (2018) and the issue being escalated (we had the rotors and pads replaced on that vehicle under warranty - just under 36,000 miles). I have not had any brake problems with my 2019 Ascent and I have just under 36,000 miles. My brake pads still have great life in them.

I too think it is silly to judge an entire new vehicle on whether the individual rotors provided to this one unit were manufactured properly. Maybe the pads had something to do with it. I have no idea, but I do not go around saying I will now only buy Subaru because the rotors and pads have served me well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My rotors and pads were replaced at 16,000. Here's the thread. Last page, last post is a photo of the work order. Two jobs were looked at; transmission shudder and brakes. Ignore the tranny info;
Link to 'Rotors Grinding Already' Thread last page

Here's a view of the work order. Notice the part number on the pads ends in C, indicative of the 3rd generation pads, replacing A and B. The work order references a TSB 06-78-20 for the pads.

·
Registered
639 Posts
the rotors are absolutely under warranty (resurface or replacement) but they need to be inspected and approved to determine that there was not driver abuse. I know this from just having to go through this for another Subaru we own (2018) and the issue being escalated (we had the rotors and pads replaced on that vehicle under warranty - just under 36,000 miles). I have not had any brake problems with my 2019 Ascent and I have just under 36,000 miles. My brake pads still have great life in them.

I too think it is silly to judge an entire new vehicle on whether the individual rotors provided to this one unit were manufactured properly. Maybe the pads had something to do with it. I have no idea, but I do not go around saying I will now only buy Subaru because the rotors and pads have served me well.
Don't want to argue but that's what the SOA rep told me. So I don't know what else to say. Maybe SOA is wrong I don't know.

But it's up to the dealership to make that decision.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had my pads and rotors replaced on my 2020 Touring around 5k and then pads replaced with the "new" pad redesign and rotors resurfaced around 12k mark. In normal city local driving I don't feel the pulsating but definitely feel it on my recent trip to PA when getting off an exit and when the need to slow down due to slow or stopped traffic ahead from highway speeds. It's very frustrating! I will try replacing the pads and rotors with an aftermarket set once my warranty is up. I just don't think this will go away or be fixed within the warranty. I know others have had no issues but I do. I'm halfway through my warranty period and had 3 different sets of pads and rotors. So I don't know what else can be done but it's not good.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Don't want to argue but that's what the SOA rep told me. So I don't know what else to say. Maybe SOA is wrong I don't know.

But it's up to the dealership to make that decision.
Just in the last two weeks I went through this with a SOA rep both over the phone and via email. First the dealership thought the rotors could be turned and based on that I spoke with SOA and they approved paying for it. Then the dealership called me back stating they had to be replaced along with the pads. I told them to go ahead and provided SOA with the paid receipt so I could be reimbursed for the higher cost reflecting replacement. SOA rep refused to go above what was already quoted despite him stating they wore out prematurely. He was taking the position they were paying for it as an accommodation rather than a warranty repair. I then learned through the forum that SOA routinely warranties the rotors while still under the original warranty mileage and requested a review of that prior rejection through a SOA supervisor. They clearly told me over the phone and in writing that the rotors were in fact a warranty item if they wear prematurely and if they were not abused by the driver. This had to be confirmed by the dealer of course, which it readily was. I received a reimbursement check for the entire amount of the brake job.

this turned out to be an issue of SOA rep training. Wear items are tricky when covered under warranty. They are covered as long as they perform as expected. Since rotors should not need to be turned or replaced with such low mileage (assuming no abuse) it is a covered item.

My first SOA rep was wrong and so was the one you communicated with. Some reps know that wear items are excluded from the original warranty but fail to recognize the important exception to that rule. The dealers do not pay for it so they are merely conduits and do not make the ultimate decision on it. They act as the eyes for SOA on the ground.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'm halfway through my warranty period and had 3 different sets of pads and rotors. So I don't know what else can be done but it's not good.
Sounds like you are very near or at Lemon Law failure count. If you haven't contacted SOA at their email or phone number, you probably should and when you do, ask about Lemon Law. They will investigate.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I had my pads and rotors replaced on my 2020 Touring around 5k and then pads replaced with the "new" pad redesign and rotors resurfaced around 12k mark. In normal city local driving I don't feel the pulsating but definitely feel it on my recent trip to PA when getting off an exit and when the need to slow down due to slow or stopped traffic ahead from highway speeds. It's very frustrating! I will try replacing the pads and rotors with an aftermarket set once my warranty is up. I just don't think this will go away or be fixed within the warranty. I know others have had no issues but I do. I'm halfway through my warranty period and had 3 different sets of pads and rotors. So I don't know what else can be done but it's not good.
If it were me I would kick it back to SOA and suggest they install some good aftermarket rotors and pads of your choice. either that or they have to come up with a solution that sticks. Maybe the technician is not following all the proper install procedures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2019 Ascent Limited... I noticed a heavy vibration when braking (especially downhill) on this beast and talked with my dealer at the 6k service. Rotors were inspected and replaced (after turning/trimming them failed to fix the issue). Now I'm about 500 miles from the 12k service and I'm experiencing the exact same issue.

Poor driving habits? Doubtful. In addition to 1/3 of this vehicle's mileage being highway, we baby our vehicles. My 2016 Legacy (48k miles) still has he original brakes and rotors on it. My wife's previous vehicle (17 Outback) was turned in off lease at 35k with the original brakes and rotors.

On a side note, I noticed the Ascent is no longer being recommended by Consumer Reports (rated a 60 overall). I love this black beauty, but kinda wishing I had went with a Telluride...

(photo was taken after I had just completed ceramic coating).

View attachment 6711
I know what you mean, I am on my second set of front brakes, first set at 3500 miles and second set at 9000 miles, I used to golf gti MY 2013 and 92000 miles on the original front brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just wanted to update the group in case others run into this problem. Dealer examined the vehicle (11,500 miles on odometer) and replaced the front brakes with third generation pads (as well as resurfaced the front rotors). There were no hassles or questions in regards to warranty or anything along those lines. It was a painless experience. Thanks to those who shared their experience and knowledge on the topic, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this solves the issue. Stay safe friends.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I just wanted to update the group in case others run into this problem. Dealer examined the vehicle (11,500 miles on odometer) and replaced the front brakes with third generation pads (as well as resurfaced the front rotors). There were no hassles or questions in regards to warranty or anything along those lines. It was a painless experience. Thanks to those who shared their experience and knowledge on the topic, I really appreciate it. Hopefully this solves the issue. Stay safe friends.
My dealership just replaced the pads with the latest generation under warranty TSB. It was in the dealer for an unrelated issue. They drove it for that other issue and noticed some brake symptoms so they just went ahead and replaced them. :)

·
Administrator
11,121 Posts
PLEASE REMEMBER:
Proper bedding of these pads requires following the 1,000 mile break in procedures outlined in your manual. These pads are dual chamfered pads with a "new" pad material (not the same material used decades ago, where "slam your brakes a few times" would bed the pads). Bedding these pads should NOT be done the old school method of sharp braking maneuvers (or any of the other older methods).

Any time an Ascent's brake pads/rotors are changed/resurfaced, one should follow the 1,000 mile break-in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts