Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 2019 Ascent Limited on Memorial Day weekend. Loved loved loved this car.

End of June took the car in because the hand free link would disconnect at random times, refuse to reconnect, etc. They looked it over unpaired everything and basically said they fixed it. Ok.

August I take it in for loud rattling sound front passenger side. Usually happens on bumpy roads, when slowing down at stop signs etc. They were not able to reproduce but noticed that my front seat rattled which they said could have made echoing sounds in the front end. Didn't make sense to me, but they kept it. Replaced the front seat because of broken bolts. Also ended up getting a new radio and hands link system. They had the car for 10 days.

The rattling sound is not fixed and it took it in again at the end of August. Went on a drive with the tech and was finally able to reproduce the sound on a very bumpy road. I told them about the bulletins I read on this forum along with the concerns about the steering rack. They end up replacing the brake pads, rotors and right strut. They keep the car for 8 days.

Again I notice the rattling sound returns 2 days after I got it back. Was at a friends house watching football and decide to drive home. Suddenly all the dash lights come on and the car is funky to drive. My instrument panel lit up like a christmas tree, with every possible light and alert coming on. I get it towed to the dealer.

Car has been there now 8 days. Today I got a call that the car needs a new transmission. They have no idea when it will be here. I'm in a loaner which is fine and dandy. But they arent even looking at the front end issue at all.

I've made a complaint to SOA. They have been "researching" my case since 9/7. They have offered to pay my next car payment.

I will say everyone I have dealt with at subaru has been helpful and nice. But I have no confidence whatsoever in this car.

This Friday my car will hit its 30 days in the shop, which is one of the ways to request the lemon law here in CA. Thinking of getting a forester instead.

Really loved the ascent, but this car has issues. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions with repurchase or lemon law?

·
Registered
646 Posts

End of June took the car in because the hand free link would disconnect at random times, refuse to reconnect, etc. They looked it over unpaired everything and basically said they fixed it. Ok.

August I take it in for loud rattling sound front passenger side. Usually happens on bumpy roads, when slowing down at stop signs etc. They were not able to reproduce but noticed that my front seat rattled which they said could have made echoing sounds in the front end. Didn't make sense to me, but they kept it. Replaced the front seat because of broken bolts. Also ended up getting a new radio and hands link system. They had the car for 10 days.

The rattling sound is not fixed and it took it in again at the end of August. Went on a drive with the tech and was finally able to reproduce the sound on a very bumpy road. I told them about the bulletins I read on this forum along with the concerns about the steering rack. They end up replacing the brake pads, rotors and right strut. They keep the car for 8 days.

Again I notice the rattling sound returns 2 days after I got it back. Was at a friends house watching football and decide to drive home. Suddenly all the dash lights come on and the car is funky to drive. My instrument panel lit up like a christmas tree, with every possible light and alert coming on. I get it towed to the dealer.

Car has been there now 8 days. Today I got a call that the car needs a new transmission. They have no idea when it will be here. I'm in a loaner which is fine and dandy. But they arent even looking at the front end issue at all.

I've made a complaint to SOA. They have been "researching" my case since 9/7. They have offered to pay my next car payment.

I will say everyone I have dealt with at subaru has been helpful and nice. But I have no confidence whatsoever in this car.

This Friday my car will hit its 30 days in the shop, which is one of the ways to request the lemon law here in CA. Thinking of getting a forester instead.

Really loved the ascent, but this car has issues. Am I missing anything? Any suggestions with repurchase or lemon law?
I had a Ascent dumped it got a new Forester and really like it. I think the power is adequate and very smooth. I got a Touring mainly because of the 8 was power passenger seat which is very comfy . The Driver Focus is gimmicky IMO and I could care less although setting profiles for individuals for seat, cliamate mirrors etc... is a nice feature of it. The best buy would be a Premium model with the option for BSD. You could most likely get under 30k. It's a nice size that provide good space. I got 34.4 mpg on a 100 mile trip averaging 70-80 mph

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
If there is a transmission problem, then replacing it will get you to a properly working vehicle position. It's not like it is not repairable. Just keep on them for the front end. The vehicle is not possessed. the lemon law law is really there as a stop gap measure if a manufacturer can not fix it in a reasonable time period.it sounds like while it is taking time, this is due to getting the part instead of lack of knowing what or how to fix it. No guarantees with the Forester. This is an individual vehicle issue as compared to an entire model issue.

·
Banned
85 Posts
Apply for the lemon law. Why would you keep it? Thirty days in for service repair is 25% of the time you owned the car you could not drive it. Why take a chance that other issues will not come up. Check w your state for what qualifies. In some states, like mine, there are two ways to claim it. Four attempts at repair or out of service for 30 days or more, which could be multiple different repairs that tied the car up. The other reason you should check is that there may be time (ie two years after date of purchase) and/or mileage restriction (ie 24,000). If you dont get rid of it now you will be wondering all the time what's going to happen next. If that was my car I would have started the claim on day 30 and do everything possible to get rid of it.

·
Banned
85 Posts
One more point - if you dont file lemon law then negotiate their offer on the car payment. It is to Subaru's advantage to offer you the car payment. They are trying to save money and making it sound like they are being nice. The car payment is only one cost of owning the car. Do you pay property tax on the car? Do you pay an annual registration fee or other similar fees? You also carried the insurance on the car for the 30 days you couldn't drive it. Figure out the monthly share of all those associated costs you pay for owning the car and tack them on onto their offer. These are all hidden costs you dont think of that you paid on a car you couldn't use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Subaru had my car for 2.5 weeks. They replaced the transmission. I had it for 48 hours and the lights all came back on just as it did before. My car has now been in the shop 4 times for a total of 39 days.

I am speaking to my senior rep tomorrow. I am not keeping this car. Every issue I have had (minus the stereo) they have been unable to fix.

This has been a nightmare experience. I am scared to drive it. I dont know that they even know what is really wrong with either of the issues I've brought it in for.

Will be requesting lemon law if needed. I am hoping for a good resolution or I will go back to Honda.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Your thoughts are mine exactly. I am scared of what else could go wrong with this car! And they havent been able to fix the 2 major issues I already have with the car! :/

Apply for the lemon law. Why would you keep it? Thirty days in for service repair is 25% of the time you owned the car you could not drive it. Why take a chance that other issues will not come up. Check w your state for what qualifies. In some states, like mine, there are two ways to claim it. Four attempts at repair or out of service for 30 days or more, which could be multiple different repairs that tied the car up. The other reason you should check is that there may be time (ie two years after date of purchase) and/or mileage restriction (ie 24,000). If you dont get rid of it now you will be wondering all the time what's going to happen next. If that was my car I would have started the claim on day 30 and do everything possible to get rid of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for your reply. Subaru has agreed to buy my Ascent back, so I am going to be looking at the Forester as a replacement. Thanks for the info

I had a Ascent dumped it got a new Forester and really like it. I think the power is adequate and very smooth. I got a Touring mainly because of the 8 was power passenger seat which is very comfy . The Driver Focus is gimmicky IMO and I could care less although setting profiles for individuals for seat, cliamate mirrors etc... is a nice feature of it. The best buy would be a Premium model with the option for BSD. You could most likely get under 30k. It's a nice size that provide good space. I got 34.4 mpg on a 100 mile trip averaging 70-80 mph

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car ended up in the shop needing a new transmission. It was there for 2.5 weeks. Had the car back less that 48 hours, and the same issues happened again- all warning lights turned on, beeping, radio was cutting out. Today I am told it is some type of oxygen censor.

Regardless, I am tapping out with this car. I have had it 4 months. It has been in the stop 5 times, for 40 days. Issues with a variety of things. No trust or confidence in my car. Glad others of you are having luck with your Ascent. I really liked that car. Subaru and I are working on a buy back, and will be looking at the Forester instead.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Car ended up in the shop needing a new transmission. It was there for 2.5 weeks. Had the car back less that 48 hours, and the same issues happened again- all warning lights turned on, beeping, radio was cutting out. Today I am told it is some type of oxygen censor.

Regardless, I am tapping out with this car. I have had it 4 months. It has been in the stop 5 times, for 40 days. Issues with a variety of things. No trust or confidence in my car. Glad others of you are having luck with your Ascent. I really liked that car. Subaru and I are working on a buy back, and will be looking at the Forester instead.
I had a Ascent for about a year and while I had nothing like your issues I turned mine in early on lease.I did not feel comfortable about the the way the transmission was acting. I got a 19 Forester Touring and it is a great car you will be pleased although nothing is perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.