Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have a 2020 Ascent Touring got it in early September and realized a few weeks ago the front driver and passenger door seal gasket appears there was a section cut out and then replaced with another section. Very strange. Haven't spoken to my dealer yet, was waiting for my first oil change to show it to them. Looks like it was done to add the lip to that section. Anyone else have this on their Ascents?

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Every Ascent has them. That's normal.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Do you what the reason was for that?
It's so air can escape. Door seals generally have holes or slits and holes in them. Ours just happens to be more visible on those particular seals, and it's a really big door seal.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Close the door and look at that area. You'll see that the bulge in the seal matches the shape of the interior panels at the bottom window.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like it was a mistake during the fabrication of the seal and then cut, replaced and glued the new piece in? Not very Subaru like in my opinion. I can't believe it was designed and engineered that way.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Looks like it was a mistake during the fabrication of the seal and then cut, replaced and glued the new piece in? Not very Subaru like in my opinion. I can't believe it was designed and engineered that way.
It was actually designed that way, and it's not the only one. I've posted pics of others with very similar slits in them.

There's an entire thread on this, as a matter of fact.

Here's another, that's almost a decade older. It's how they are designed. You can see the hole in the top center, and a slit in the right top most part.

And here's the thread:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very odd. I still love the Ascent and haven't had any issues with it so far! Fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Very odd. I still love the Ascent and haven't had any issues with it so far! Fingers crossed.
I thought so too. But, it makes sense. The doors are very big. The normal tiny vent holes aren't enough to let air out of the seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts