Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of days ago I decided to have the suspension checked out .Since purchasing the vehicle back in November ‘18(built in Oct. ‘18) always felt like the suspension was not up to par ,most notably the front.I’ve had the vehicle checked at least 3 times and each time nothing was found .Every visit I was told by the tech “I didn’t hear anything “, I tried telling them you don’t necessarily need to hear something for something to be wrong.

Recently on a couple of trips of 300 plus miles round trips I was getting concerned on how the suspension was reacting to the imperfections(potholes) in the road.Let me say this when my wife notices something’s not right she’s usually right.The suspension felt like a old car with like 300k original miles on it.In recent months it was feeling like it was just getting worst & worst.

Bought it in to Subaru and sure enough the coils were shot,oh wait,they were “ cracked”.With 40k plus miles and extended warranty in place the coils were replaced - no out-of-pocket,even the alignment was covered.Now the vehicle rides better than new and the wife totally agrees.

Big thanks to the extended warranty and to the tech who found the problem.Below is a copy of the report & fixes for your enjoyment.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
So a couple of days ago I decided to have the suspension checked out .Since purchasing the vehicle back in November ‘18(built in Oct. ‘18) always felt like the suspension was not up to par ,most notably the front.I’ve had the vehicle checked at least 3 times and each time nothing was found .Every visit I was told by the tech “I didn’t hear anything “, I tried telling them you don’t necessarily need to hear something for something to be wrong.

Recently on a couple of trips of 300 plus miles round trips I was getting concerned on how the suspension was reacting to the imperfections(potholes) in the road.Let me say this when my wife notices something’s not right she’s usually right.The suspension felt like a old car with like 300k original miles on it.In recent months it was feeling like it was just getting worst & worst.

Bought it in to Subaru and sure enough the coils were shot,oh wait,they were “ cracked”.With 40k plus miles and extended warranty in place the coils were replaced - no out-of-pocket,even the alignment was covered.Now the vehicle rides better than new and the wife totally agrees.

Big thanks to the extended warranty and to the tech who found the problem.Below is a copy of the report & fixes for your enjoyment.
Great results. did the dealership have anything to say about the missed prior diagnosis? How much would it have cost if you were paying?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey packout,the diagnosis were done at 2 different dealers 1st & 2nd time.The 3rd times the charm I guess we can say.Honestly I was too thrilled to even ask how much the job would’ve costed.All I remember was that wonderful line we all like to hear ...” The repairs will be done at no cost to you”
Took them a day and half due to parts that had to be ordered.In the meantime I was loaned a ‘21 Ascent so I got to feel the differences between my ‘19 and the ‘21.After the fix now it handles like the loaner did,tracks true and straight - like new.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
Luis, I'm glad that got straightened out. It can be frustrating when something like that isn't diagnosed early on. The reasons vary, unfortunately. Enjoy the solid feel!

Reactions: Luis Padilla

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

What were the symptoms? Mine appears to bang the front rims when I hit potholes or speed-bumps, and I inflate my tires to 34psi.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Hopefully it only sounds like it bangs them, but, yes, that would be a symptom.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bottoming out of the struts due the bad coils was one issue,another was the swaying of the front end which always caused me to constantly correct the steering of the vehicle .The struts were also inspected and found to be working as designed with no issues there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts