Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front camera on my Touring seems to have a very short timeout interval (when the camera shuts itself off and the display reverts to the previous page setting). Is there any way to change the length of that interval? I looked through the settings and did not see anything. It doesn't stay on long enough to complete a maneuver such as parallel parking or dealing with the complexities of my driveway.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I'd heard it was tied to speed, and that it turns off above 10 mph? Any chance you have a heavy foot?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
There is a camera timeout setting in the menu. A bunch of the vehicles were coming in with it disabled. From what some early docs (pre-release) said, it was supposed to be set at a certain timeout speed.

Check the settings, under General, for the timeout.

Note: if you disable the timeout, the system will still revert from the camera view any time the head unit navigation has something to display, or when other systems would take over the upper center display.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I'd heard it was tied to speed, and that it turns off above 10 mph? Any chance you have a heavy foot?
Parallel parking at 10 MPH would be quite the accomplishment for me!
On my car, it will function at any speed but it has the short time-out any time its activated.

There is a camera timeout setting in the menu. A bunch of the vehicles were coming in with it disabled. From what some early docs (pre-release) said, it was supposed to be set at a certain timeout speed.

Check the settings, under General, for the timeout.

Note: if you disable the timeout, the system will still revert from the camera view any time the head unit navigation has something to display, or when other systems would take over the upper center display.
I don't have a setting for the front camera in my General menu, only for the back camera and that is set to off.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I don't have a setting for the front camera in my General menu, only for the back camera and that is set to off.
I will test mine on the way home tonight.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't have my Touring yet, so what are the options for the Front Camera regarding Time Out?

And where are the instructions for the Front Camera found in the Manual? I've looked under Camera, Front, Eyesight and paged through the Index and can't find anything on it. Someone mentioned under "General" but there is no General in the index.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
949 Posts
Reviving an old thread.

Same as the OP, the front camera doesn't stay on long enough to maneuver out of my driveway. Getting my wife out of the driveway without hitting my car or breaking all the sprinklers along the driveway was probably the #1 reason for getting the Touring vs any other trim.

The timeout is too short when the front camera is activated automatically by shifting from reverse to drive. I can push the view button to turn it back on but it should just stay on longer. It is a timeout of just a few seconds, not speed related since we don't go more than 1-2 mph negotiating the turns in our driveway.

I haven't found any setting in the menus specific to the front camera.

Any thoughts on getting a longer timeout?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found this in the 2020 owner's manual. It details how long (and what triggers) the camera to shut off. It looks like there is a pretty big difference when you activate the camera by manually pressing the View button as opposed to automatically activating it by shifting from R to D. I'm not sure which method the original poster was using, but he stated that he didn't have enough time to parallel park. Since I doubt it takes anyone 3 minutes to parallel park, I assume he wasn't manually pressing the View button. You can try pressing it and seeing if you get the extended amount of time you need to get out of your driveway.

After accessing the Front View Monitor
by pressing the “VIEW/ ” button:

. Approximately 3 minutes have passed
since the last operation.
. The vehicle speed becomes 12.5 mph
(20 km/h) or higher.
. The select lever is shifted to the “P”
position.
. The parking brake is applied.

using the select lever:

. Shift the select lever into the “P”
position.
. The vehicle speed becomes 5 mph (8
km/h) or higher.
. Approximately 9 seconds have passed

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
949 Posts
I found this in the 2020 owner's manual. It details how long (and what triggers) the camera to shut off. It looks like there is a pretty big difference when you activate the camera by manually pressing the View button as opposed to automatically activating it by shifting from R to D. I'm not sure which method the original poster was using, but he stated that he didn't have enough time to parallel park. Since I doubt it takes anyone 3 minutes to parallel park, I assume he wasn't manually pressing the View button. You can try pressing it and seeing if you get the extended amount of time you need to get out of your driveway.

by pressing the “VIEW/ ” button:

. Approximately 3 minutes have passed
. The vehicle speed becomes 12.5 mph
(20 km/h) or higher.
. The select lever is shifted to the “P”
position.

using the select lever:

. Shift the select lever into the “P”
position.
. The vehicle speed becomes 5 mph (8
km/h) or higher.
. Approximately 9 seconds have passed
I'm not an off-roader, but I've got to believe that the front camera is useful for trails and rutted unpaved roads. You'd think Subaru would allow a mode where it can just stay on until manually shut off.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I'm not an off-roader, but I've got to believe that the front camera is useful for trails and rutted unpaved roads. You'd think Subaru would allow a mode where it can just stay on until manually shut off.
I am an off roader, and you're 100% correct. It comes in very handy on the trails.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
949 Posts
I am an off roader, and you're 100% correct. It comes in very handy on the trails.
I'm a fist time Subaru owner and find some of the Ascent's features and options baffling. I have long understood Subaru to be an engineering-centric manufacturer so I can only guess that the final configurations we get to live with are made in committees.

Folding mirrors:
Marketing: all the other 3 row SUVs have automatic folding mirrors.
Engineers: ok. We can do that.
Off-road team: they need to have a button for manual folding in case there are narrow tree-lined trails.
Engineers: ok. We can do that
Towing team: no they can't fold automatically because the owners are going to install extension mirrors and they'll damage the body if they fold before being removed.
Engineers: ok. They won't fold.
Marketing: but all the other 3 row SUVs have automatic folding mirrors!
Engineers: ok. We'll design them to fold and install the actuators to make them fold and write the software to make sure they only work when the engine is running and install a button to fold and unfold them.
Marketing: we'll write "power folding mirrors" in the brochure. No one will notice they're not Automatic until after they own the car.
Owners: I forgot I have folding mirrors and that shopping cart just broke off my mirror.

Front camera:
Marketing: all the other 3 row SUVs have 360° view on the infotainment screen
Engineers: we already have a rear camera, we just need to add a front camera, write some software and we'll have that too
Human interface team: 360° view is confusing and people with it are still running into obstacles when they park.
Engineering: we can add a camera to the grill but we won't write the software to create the 360° view
Human interface team: but you can't put the front camera image on the infotainment screen because people will get confused with the rear view camera and won't know if they're going forward or backward
Engineering: ok. We can add another screen at the top of the dashboard to show the front camera image
Safety team: they can't use the front camera while going forward because it will be a distraction
Engineering: ok. It will only turn on for 9 seconds when shifting from reverse to drive
Off-road team: but the front camera can help on trails
Engineering: ok. We'll put a button to turn it on but it will shut off if they go too fast
Towing team: wait a minute. Other tow vehicles use cameras to synthesize a rear view which make the trailer invisible
Engineering: ok we can put another camera high on the rear gate that might see ever some boats or popup.
Safety team: but you can't put that image on the infotainment screen or the front view screen because it will be confusing.
Engineering: ok. We'll add a screen to the rear view mirror.
Marketing: we can write that there's a rear view towing camera in the brochure.
Owner while backing up with trailer: I wish the Ascent had some sort of towing camera (no recollection that there's a lever to switch from mirror to camera.

i can go on... LED taillights, passenger lumbar adjustment,... anyone?

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
LMAO!!!! That was hilarious!!! :ROFLMAO: And probably a little accurate, too (if not at Subaru, then elsewhere)!!! ;)

I'm a fist time Subaru owner and find some of the Ascent's features and options baffling. I have long understood Subaru to be an engineering-centric manufacturer so I can only guess that the final configurations we get to live with are made in committees.

Folding mirrors:
Marketing: all the other 3 row SUVs have automatic folding mirrors.
Engineers: ok. We can do that.
Off-road team: they need to have a button for manual folding in case there are narrow tree-lined trails.
Engineers: ok. We can do that
Towing team: no they can't fold automatically because the owners are going to install extension mirrors and they'll damage the body if they fold before being removed.
Engineers: ok. They won't fold.
Marketing: but all the other 3 row SUVs have automatic folding mirrors!
Engineers: ok. We'll design them to fold and install the actuators to make them fold and write the software to make sure they only work when the engine is running and install a button to fold and unfold them.
Marketing: we'll write "power folding mirrors" in the brochure. No one will notice they're not Automatic until after they own the car.
Owners: I forgot I have folding mirrors and that shopping cart just broke off my mirror.

Front camera:
Engineers: we already have a rear camera, we just need to add a front camera, write some software and we'll have that too
Human interface team: 360° view is confusing and people with it are still running into obstacles when they park.
Engineering: we can add a camera to the grill but we won't write the software to create the 360° view
Human interface team: but you can't put the front camera image on the infotainment screen because people will get confused with the rear view camera and won't know if they're going forward or backward
Engineering: ok. We can add another screen at the top of the dashboard to show the front camera image
Safety team: they can't use the front camera while going forward because it will be a distraction
Engineering: ok. It will only turn on for 9 seconds when shifting from reverse to drive
Off-road team: but the front camera can help on trails
Engineering: ok. We'll put a button to turn it on but it will shut off if they go too fast
Towing team: wait a minute. Other tow vehicles use cameras to synthesize a rear view which make the trailer invisible
Engineering: ok we can put another camera high on the rear gate that might see ever some boats or popup.
Safety team: but you can't put that image on the infotainment screen or the front view screen because it will be confusing.
Engineering: ok. We'll add a screen to the rear view mirror.
Marketing: we can write that there's a rear view towing camera in the brochure.
Owner while backing up with trailer: I wish the Ascent had some sort of towing camera (no recollection that there's a lever to switch from mirror to camera.

i can go on... LED taillights, passenger lumbar adjustment,... anyone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts