Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using the front camera, if it's on......can you see the white lines in the road on the passenger's side to see how much room you have?

I frequently travel a road that isn't the widest thing, but in one area there is a guard rail right along the edge of the pavement/white line. If a semi truck or other wide vehicle is coming in the other lane, I can never tell how much room I have to "scoot over".

Lane departure warning is of no use in this situation because I would be hitting the guard rail at that point.

·
Registered
357 Posts
From what I remember from a test drive its fairly wide, but if memory serves me correct it cuts off a higher speed like 30mph, someone that has one may be able to answer this better though.

Reactions: kathytn

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
It cuts off after an oddly variable time delay (15-90 seconds, from what I can tell). It's 180°, which makes it very difficult to use at high speed, or any speed over 10mph. By the time you would realize you're drifting from it, you'd be well beyond what you saw in the display.

But, it excels for what it is... a tool to check cross traffic and assist with parking.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have Touring with camera (got Touring specifically due to camera). During driving camera turns off quick quickly (despite incorrect thread on this group, you cannot control how long this camera stays on).

I found it very destructing to use while driving (due to optics speed of movement on the camera and what you see are very different), you really have to concentrate on screen to compensate for such disjointed view (and then you are not looking on the road).

Long story short, I don't think this camera would help in your scenario while driving. At least I would never use it for such purpose.

However what is very helpful is when you park, you can see side white lines as you pull into parking spot. When aligned (using slow speed) with red side guide lines, you can park really nicely between white lanes.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, the front camera for parking in a parking space was my "sole reason" for loving it. It was when I was in the "situation" yesterday with an on coming dump truck that I wondered about this.

If you only knew how many times I've pulled into a parking space, got out and then had to get back in and pull ahead further. It's either that or open the door and try to see how much room is left as the "door open" bell keeps yelling at me.

Oh, and it's not happened to me yet, but the car parked in front of you might have a trailer hitch sticking out that you don't account for when pulling up behind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.