Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'19 Ascent Limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for the sake of conversation and for the owners who would go off-road, I came across this post on Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BrYhPgBnENC/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1a973wudmnmxj

While I do like the option to have a rally light bar or front bumper guard like the LP one and Rally Innovations one, this is just too big and ugly. It also appears to be mounted low under the bumper, so you bet you will be scraping that on steep approaches.

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
You paid for several safety systems with sensors in the front. Airbags, emergency throttle control, gas shutoff, and a few more. If the Eyesight cameras can see the bull bar, that's another.
There is also the whole energy-absorbing crumple zone design of most modern cars, especially Subaru.
So yeah, you avoid damage to your grille at the expense of crushing your chest. Ascent grille: $260, Me: priceless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Solid damage amplifier.

Agreed, I actually have one on my truck that was on it when I purchased, but I'd much rather have a complete aftermarket bumper, but I just haven't gotten to spending the money on a good aftermarket complete bumper.

Bull bars definitely can cause more damage on all but the most minimal impacts. My daughter backed into my truck at extremely low speed and the bull bar & skid plate saved me on that one as it took the hit. It actually moved the bull bar, but I was able to loosen it's bolts and move into place. In that case it saved me grill damage, but in any real collision it would have likely caused a lot more damage than without it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Agreed, I actually have one on my truck that was on it when I purchased, but I'd much rather have a complete aftermarket bumper, but I just haven't gotten to spending the money on a good aftermarket complete bumper.

Bull bars definitely can cause more damage on all but the most minimal impacts. My daughter backed into my truck at extremely low speed and the bull bar & skid plate saved me on that one as it took the hit. It actually moved the bull bar, but I was able to loosen it's bolts and move into place. In that case it saved me grill damage, but in any real collision it would have likely caused a lot more damage than without it.
If you plan on adding some additional lights for more trail lighting then this might be one of the few options without drilling into the bumper. However I agree that in a real accident beyond a fender bender those things typically fold and end up going in the grill/radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts