Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2020 Touring with a little over 10k Have had brake issues on the front since April of 2020. The dealer first re-surfaced the rotors which only lasted about 3 - 4 months. The dealer just replaced the front pads 26296XC00D and rotors 26300XC00A under warranty. Hope this resolves this issue. I am still waiting to hear back when the recall can be completed. They think it is not a software issue but a hardware issue and can be resolved with a chain guide kit.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
They think it is not a software issue but a hardware issue and can be resolved with a chain guide kit.
There's no such thing as a "chain guide kit" they can install. They're definitely not allowed to install chain guides. If the chain guide (or other internals) are not damaged, it's a software issue. If something inside is damaged, it's become a hardware issue, because of the software issue, and you will be getting a new CVT.

As for your brakes...
You've got a thousand mile break in, requiring easy and smooth braking (except of course as emergencies may warranty), to prevent it from juddering again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I too am now experiencing brake shudder at 20k. It happens at higher speeds, think highway with moderate slow downs.

Robert Mauro--Are you serious about a 1,000 mile brake "break in"? I've never heard of such a thing in all my years of driving.... I get bedding the new rotors and pads on high performance sets, but that's usually a series of agressive stops made back to back to back in the first few miles.... 1000 miles......hmmm

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,385 Posts
Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
I too am now experiencing brake shudder at 20k. It happens at higher speeds, think highway with moderate slow downs.

Robert Mauro--Are you serious about a 1,000 mile brake "break in"? I've never heard of such a thing in all my years of driving.... I get bedding the new rotors and pads on high performance sets, but that's usually a series of agressive stops made back to back to back in the first few miles.... 1000 miles......hmmm
Yes, I am very serious. Every set of pads or rotor turning/rotors. These are high performance pads, and #2 of 25 (almost #1) in stopping distance in the class of 25 vehicles. 18 of those vehicles are much smaller 5 seaters. The Ascent crushes most of the competition and is well below the segment average in stopping distance. Same for any current generation Subie (and same reason other models have similar problems when not broken in).

"a series of aggressive stops made back to back to back in the first few miles" seems to ensure your brakes shudder starting at 18K-23K miles. Like my first set (original design, Version A).

My second set (Version B - first revision) was changed 22 miles before a road trip to Florida. They were some of the smoothest braking breaks I've driven on - and they've been through the mountains off road and on road numerous times, and on all sorts of crazy adventures. First half of the trip was 1,200 miles of perfect by the book break-in. Second half was off-roading and fun on a leisurely trip back to NY.

My THIRD set (Version D - third revision) shudders a little. I did NOT break them in properly - my driving nowadays is strictly short distance harsh stop and go.

And, yes, this is in everyone's owner's manual - though there's one confusing section about asking one's dealer (who generally doesn't know) that needs to be removed.

This is DIFFICULT to do. I know. As I said, I failed on pad set #1 and pad set #3 - and I don't have the excuse of not knowing how. :( But the difference is STAGGERING.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring
85 Posts
While it is in the manual, and it’s probably in the manual of every new car, it doesn’t seem to happen anywhere near as much with other vehicles or after brakes service on most other vehicles. My first pads started pulsating at around 1k miles and both pads and rotors replaced at around 2800 miles when I went in for a service. Did not get to break in properly before setting off on a long road trip, 2 weeks and 3k miles into the trip pulling a 2k trailer with brakes, no issues so far and we did many mountain passes. So far pretty happy with the new pads, clearly better experience than the original ones which went out at 1k miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We followed the break in period for our car. Started having shuddering issues with the brakes early after purchasing the car, they turned the rotors. Replaced the brake pads at one point (not to the new ones). Fine for a few months before it started squealing and shuddering. Complained and had them checked. Everything was fine to the mechanics, squealing normal. Checked a couple more times, told everything was good to go before the pads were out of warranty. Complained about the squealing at the last oil change last month after the pads were out of warranty. We can't turn the rotors again since they have been turned, so you need to replace the pads and the rotors for 1k+. After speaking with the service department about how convenient it seemed that this needs to be done now after the warranty runs out on the pads when we have been identifying a problem for the last year, they called Subaru to warranty all the brakes. Newest pads and new rotors was covered. Yes, we did the break in period for the new brake setup. Everything is quiet and no shuddering now. Hopefully, it stays that way.

·
Administrator
12,146 Posts
While it is in the manual, and it’s probably in the manual of every new car, it doesn’t seem to happen anywhere near as much with other vehicles or after brakes service on most other vehicles.
Why would it, though? Our tires are nothing special, but our brakes are. Those are the two key components for stopping distance. Twenty five in the segment, we're #2, and 18 of them are MUCH lighter 5 seaters that the Ascent TROUNCES in stopping distance.

There's got to be a better way to make them all bed properly though. And, that's on Subaru - not our fault (as they seem well aware, since they keep working on the pads to make it easier to bed them).

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got pulsation with front brakes (picked up limited 8 passenger in August 2018) and dealer found TSB 06-78-20. They installed updated brake pads and resurfaced both front brake rotors for glaze on surfaces under warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2020 Ascent limited. I had front brake rotors and pads replaced about 16000 miles. Oct 21 They were warped, and pads were bad. They said if I still had problems then they would see about the rear. 19000 April 22miles still issues rear pads and rotors replaced. Issue improved tremendously except going to an incline. Still shock bad 20000 miles June 22 front Rotars replaced warped, all issues currently resolved bad thing I will be out of warranty in just over a month.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a lot of love for Subaru that is for sure. But a 1000 mile break in period is unrealistic in the real world. Good luck getting my teenage daughter or her Mom to remember to take it easy on the brakes for a 1000 miles. That is literally almost halfway across the United States. I babied my Ascent but still ended up with squealing brakes. Twice. I ended up buying another brand of vehicle whose manual stated to ,"take it easy for the first few hundred miles". I did. I have 6,000 on it now without a squeal, shudder, judder or grinding. Truly a blessing to my sanity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts