Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 5,500 miles on our 2019 Limited the front brake calipers on both sides have started to creak quite noticeably. As required when starting the vehicle, stepping on the brake pedal before pressing the ignition button causes the front calipers to creak quite a bit. While driving, I really don't hear the creaking when braking. It's only noticeable when starting and when idling in park with foot on the brake pedal. Seems to me these calipers should be dead quiet on such a new vehicle. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this or has any input before I contact my dealer.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
At 5,500 miles on our 2019 Limited the front brake calipers on both sides have started to creak quite noticeably. As required when starting the vehicle, stepping on the brake pedal before pressing the ignition button causes the front calipers to creak quite a bit. While driving, I really don't hear the creaking when braking. It's only noticeable when starting and when idling in park with foot on the brake pedal. Seems to me these calipers should be dead quiet on such a new vehicle. Just curious if anyone else is experiencing this or has any input before I contact my dealer.
Have a dealer check it out. Chances are, they will turn the rotors, and use the new pad lubrication procedures to re-install the pads. In the event they do that or replace pads and rotors, please remember that your 1,000 mile break in re-starts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have a dealer check it out. Chances are, they will turn the rotors, and use the new pad lubrication procedures to re-install the pads. In the event they do that or replace pads and rotors, please remember that your 1,000 mile break in re-starts.
Wonder if it’s a Siliglide type of lubrication applied to the back of the pads. I wonder why this wasn’t done at the factory if that’s what’s needed.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Wonder if it’s a Siliglide type of lubrication applied to the back of the pads. I wonder why this wasn’t done at the factory if that’s what’s needed.
I think it was done, but, they've changed either the method, amount, or both. New cars follow the new procedures.

I would guess that the differences in how people break in the cars is causing the difference in results, and the new procedure is supposed to address this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was done, but, they've changed either the method, amount, or both. New cars follow the new procedures.

I would guess that the differences in how people break in the cars is causing the difference in results, and the new procedure is supposed to address this.
Thanks for your great input, Robert!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update on the creaking front brakes: A visit to my dealer resolved the issue. It was being caused by lack of lubrication on the shim clips that hold the pads in place. These flat clips are only on the front brakes. They were bone dry from the factory. The clips can be seen on the outer sides of the calipers. Grease was applied to the clips at all contact points with the calipers. I mentioned the new lubrication procedure to the service manager and he researched to find that the Ascent was the only model not included in the July 2019 bulletin. He let me read a copy of the lubrication bulletin. Looks like the new lube method is meant to address corrosion issues with certain brake components on models other than the Ascent. I’m just happy to have quiet brakes again.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
He missed the bulletin that does mention it. ?

Glad they took care of it though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Good enough for now. It sounds like service managers could use a more robust bulletin system that works in real-time rather than on an as-needed basis.

·
Registered
62 Posts
He missed the bulletin that does mention it. ?

Glad they took care of it though.
Robert, are the TSBs something that can be publicly viewed? I took my Ascent in for squeaking brakes and mentioned the TSB, but the tech said it had already been accomplished on the car (I just think he pulled up the VIN and assumed). The squeal has got worse over time however. I just want to do it myself as it sounds like it's just a standard procedure of applying brake grease to the clips after replacing the pads, but the fact that it's a TSB, makes me wonder if there is something more specific involved.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Robert, are the TSBs something that can be publicly viewed? I took my Ascent in for squeaking brakes and mentioned the TSB, but the tech said it had already been accomplished on the car (I just think he pulled up the VIN and assumed). The squeal has got worse over time however. I just want to do it myself as it sounds like it's just a standard procedure of applying brake grease to the clips after replacing the pads, but the fact that it's a TSB, makes me wonder if there is something more specific involved.
You can find the TSB's but you cannot view the details without a subscription to STIS. You can get a 3 day subscription for around $35, IIRC.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Yes. Good enough for now. It sounds like service managers could use a more robust bulletin system that works in real-time rather than on an as-needed basis.
It's pretty much as real time as it can get. There's way too many to memorize and review all the time, so, when a car is brought in, they are supposed to simply put the VIN in and filter by TSBs, at which point, every single one will show up, with the most recent information.

Remember, there are TSBs pertaining to everything, and they cover a decade and a half of Subies of every model.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts