Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, we are greatly enjoying our 2020 Ascent Limited that we have had for a few months now with no problems. We would love to get a dash cam but I'm at a loss when I'm looking at Amazon. Ideally we could plug it in or wire it somehow. I see plenty of dashcams for front that you just plug into the USB up front but, I don't understand how the rear dashcams work unless there is a way to hard wire it. They mount on the outside of the vehicle right? We would probably not worry about a rear if it's too expensive or we have to keep replacing batteries and such. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We do have a travel hitch cargo carrier with mounted lights that will be plugged in to the 4 pin prong outlet occasionally.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
561 Posts
I bought a wireless rear view camera for my RV. It came with a small screen that could either attach to the rear view mirror or mount on the dash like a cell phone.
Do a search on eBay for a wireless rear view camera for ideas. Amazon probably has 'em too, but eBay is usually cheaper.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did the rear camera get power? I'm having a hard time understanding that part.

I bought a wireless rear view camera for my RV. It came with a small screen that could either attach to the rear view mirror or mount on the dash like a cell phone.
Do a search on eBay for a wireless rear view camera for ideas. Amazon probably has 'em too, but eBay is usually cheaper.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi folks, we are greatly enjoying our 2020 Ascent Limited that we have had for a few months now with no problems. We would love to get a dash cam but I'm at a loss when I'm looking at Amazon. Ideally we could plug it in or wire it somehow. I see plenty of dashcams for front that you just plug into the USB up front but, I don't understand how the rear dashcams work unless there is a way to hard wire it. They mount on the outside of the vehicle right? We would probably not worry about a rear if it's too expensive or we have to keep replacing batteries and such. Any suggestions would be welcome.
We do have a travel hitch cargo carrier with mounted lights that will be plugged in to the 4 pin prong outlet occasionally.
Thanks everyone!
It's not too hard to wire a rear dashcam if you're a DIYer. You simply run a wire under the door sill plates to the rear of the car and then in back of the rear side panel to the top of the rear liftgate. The rear dashcam camera is installed inside the car and peers out of the rear window.

Here is how I installed mine:
https://www.ascentforums.com/threads/front-grill-camera-and-dash-cam-mod-for-the-ascent.7331/

If you are not a DIYer then you can have dashcams installed at places where they install automotive sound systems such as Best Buy or often you can hire a handyman to do it.

There are also dashcams that have both a front and rear camera installed in the same unit, one facing the front and one facing the rear. These would be easier to install although I imagine the rearview would not be as good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone! We're definitely not DIY knowledgeable and it sounds like Subaru won't install dashcams beause of the eyesite. We will call best buy maybe. But, now I'm afraid that it will interfere with eyesight. I don't understand how since the cameras are behind the glass but I hate to mess it up. We already have two large rockchips that I worry are interfering. I've driven for 30 years and have only had one previous rockchip. I'm not sure how our Ascent ended up being a magnet.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Thanks everyone! We're definitely not DIY knowledgeable and it sounds like Subaru won't install dashcams beause of the eyesite. We will call best buy maybe. But, now I'm afraid that it will interfere with eyesight. I don't understand how since the cameras are behind the glass but I hate to mess it up. We already have two large rockchips that I worry are interfering. I've driven for 30 years and have only had one previous rockchip. I'm not sure how our Ascent ended up being a magnet.
Your Ascent isn't a rock chip magnet, I owned a Forester for ten years and for the first eight, never got a rock chip. Then I got two within one month. It's just totally random.

You can mount dashcams (and radar detectors) on the rearview mirror rather than attached the windshield. This way they do not bother eyesight. My dashcam is mounted on the dash (thus the name) and not the windshield. My radar detector is mounted on the rearview mirror. Neither bothers eyesight.

What is not evident from this photo (being 2D), is that because both units are mounted well forward of the windshield, neither block the view out the window much at all and neither violate most state laws on mounting devices on a windshield. Several companies such as BlendMount sell rearview mirror brackets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.