Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm curious if anyone has ever "intercepted" the rear camera on other Subaru models? I'm interested in latching into the camera feeds and piping it to a DVR. Obviously, I am not talking about the Eyesight cams, but instead the 180° front and rear cams and the 2nd rear cam on the Ascent Touring trim.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've brought up the fact that it would cost Subaru about $100 to turn the eyesight cameras into a go-pro type camera system. Just have them record to a micro-sd card or a cloud based storage system that they could package with the starlink connection. People would love that.

I had one customer that was able to connect his back up camera to his computer at home though. Every time he backed up it sent that short video to his computer at home... not sure what he was gaining by that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I've brought up the fact that it would cost Subaru about $100 to turn the eyesight cameras into a go-pro type camera system. Just have them record to a micro-sd card or a cloud based storage system that they could package with the starlink connection. People would love that.
I'd certainly be interested in that. Just like an integrated dash cams for both the front and rear cameras

·
Registered
965 Posts

I had one customer that was able to connect his back up camera to his computer at home though. Every time he backed up it sent that short video to his computer at home... not sure what he was gaining by that.
Don't know about you, I have customers ask me if the Eyesight cameras are recording all the time and tell me they wouldn't get it if it was doing that.

Something about Big Brother monitoring ... :tango_face_surprise

Mind you, these are the same people that to get an insurance discount, will stick a reader / recorder into their OBD system without thinking anything about it ...

·
Registered
201 Posts
So, I'm curious if anyone has ever "intercepted" the rear camera on other Subaru models? I'm interested in latching into the camera feeds and piping it to a DVR. Obviously, I am not talking about the Eyesight cams, but instead the 180° front and rear cams and the 2nd rear cam on the Ascent Touring trim.

Any thoughts?
I am definitely not an electrical engineer( I know one in my family) or technician....but have a little camera experience...and believe this is definitely doable. It would involve some very careful wire splitting..and with that a possibility invalidating the vehicle warranty should you encounter a malfunction. Alternatively, there may be a way to connect that’s non-intrusive. A Subaru electronic technician could more than likely answer your question.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I'm hoping for someplace I can split off an RCA connector or something similar, so it's removable if needed.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Ok Jason, do tell us how to do it for $100 please!

We have a front and rear dash cam in our current car and am planning on doing the same for the Ascent. Even thinking about adding side cameras too. Being able to utilize the built in cameras would be great though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts