Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody mount a fridge or cooler in the back? I am about to buy a fridge for upcoming road trips/overlanding/camping trips and wanted to see what people have come up with for securely mounting a fridge or cooler in the back? Anybody with a drawer slide mounted fridge?

Powering it is a different topic, lets just talk about physical mounting, temporary or permanent.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I am buying a Dometic CDF25 to fit in the second row between the captain's chairs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Nice! I thought about that to as it would fit nicely there. We have two car seats and thought it would be very difficult to access and/or install/remove. We were planning for something a little bigger and thought in the back would be more accessible.

You going to try to strap it down or let it float in that confined space between the chairs?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,578 Posts
Not a full fridge, but I own a Coleman powered "cooler" (which can also warm) and have used it for travel for many years. I think for what is asked about, making sure it stays put plus insuring adequate power is going to be the crux of the project.

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Not a full fridge, but I own a Coleman powered "cooler" (which can also warm) and have used it for travel for many years. I think for what is asked about, making sure it stays put plus insuring adequate power is going to be the crux of the project.
did you use an aux battery ? What amperage draw is required?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
From the research I've done, yes, you should use an aux battery that is a deep cycle. Power draw depends on fridge type/size and ambient conditions but on average 1-2 amps per hour. Size of battery depends on your application. Ton of info on the web on the various ways and products to do this.

Ok - enough about power as I am concerned about how it is physically mounted and if people made a shelf and bolted it down? Were there factory bolts of some sort to reuse? Did you design it to keep the cargo tray accessible?

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
282 Posts
Thanks Jim. You strap it down or just surround it with enough stuff so that it doesn't move?
I can't comment on this unit specifically, but I've never had a problem with a loaded cooler of any sort floating around in the back of my Ascent, or any other vehicle. Even the smallest "big" Dometic cooler weighs over 35# so I'm not sure you need a mounting system for safety reasons.

The idea of a sliding drawer system is a good one, given its weight. Biggest issue, as you pointed out, is going to be leaving the cargo tray (or as we call it, the basement) easily accessible.

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
did you use an aux battery ? What amperage draw is required?
No, it just plugs into the traditional 12v plug in the cargo area. My mention of power was relative to something more sophisticated than a simple cooler like I have. (My unit also has a 120v transformer that can be used in a hotel, house or office when it's removed from the vehicle)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
No, it just plugs into the traditional 12v plug in the cargo area. My mention of power was relative to something more sophisticated than a simple cooler like I have. (My unit also has a 120v transformer that can be used in a hotel, house or office when it's removed from the vehicle)
I would be very concerned about the power draw from the cooler if left in the vehicle that is not running, particularly the Ascent. It would be fine I suppose if the cooler was immediately taken out into a hotel room.

·
Super Moderator
4,578 Posts
I would be very concerned about the power draw from the cooler if left in the vehicle that is not running, particularly the Ascent. It would be fine I suppose if the cooler was immediately taken out into a hotel room.
Well, I agree and would never leave it in the vehicle running. However, if I'm not mistaken, the 12v outlet is switched with the ignition, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
I will be leaving it running in my car with the car off. Read on to see why and how...

Most of the powered refridgerators (not ambient coolers, but actual compressor fridges) draw about 45 watts peak. Only the Dometic fits between the captain's chairs. As shown elsewhere in the group and online, they cycle on and off a lot (meaning it is not a steady 45 watt draw). People have successfully used a good AGM or deep cycle as car and fridge battery, without issue. It's why I got my monstrous (for the Ascent) battery. They actually sip power at up to 90°F. Below is a handy chart.

DO keep in mind that ambient temps in a car can get considerably warmer than that. Also keep in mind that down lower in the car often stays considerably cooler.

If you are NOT looking for between captain's chairs setup, like me, then, any ApiCool or other decently rated compressor fridge/freezer works equally as well, and draws about the same amount of power.

NOTE:
ONLY the CDF-11 and CF-/CDF-25 fit between the second row captain's chairs (first and third fridges).

NOTE:
For those of you overlanding, THIS is the absolute biggest and most powerful battery you can get that fits in the Ascent (you WILL have to pull the factory tray to install it). Northstar, in general, builds industrial batteries (and their Odyssey line is the consumer oriented car line) - so, one rarely sees Northstars being sold for cars. They're generally ridiculous overkill.

Technical data
Terminal configurationSAE
Terminal illustration
Pulse cranking amps1500 A
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F)840 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F)1000 A
Reserve capacity160 min
Capacity - 20 hour rate (1.75 vpc)76 Ah
Internal resistance3 mΩ @ 25°C (77°F)
Short circuit current3100 A
Warranty4 years full

At 0.67Ah/h, this battery will last "forever". It can sustain 3.8Ah/h for 20 hours.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll continue the hijack...

Yep. I am running a separate, human-switched 12VDC/USB port to power charging my gear and the fridge.
You ran a dedicated line from the battery to the back for the outlet? How did that install go? You have pictures/write up?

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Not yet. Still waiting on some parts, including saving up for the fridge.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not yet. Still waiting on some parts, including saving up for the fridge.
Those fridges are so pricey! Been wanting to get one for camping/long day trips, not to mention it would be a great back up when California has its rolling blackouts, but I just cant pull the trigger.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Those fridges are so pricey! Been wanting to get one for camping/long day trips, not to mention it would be a great back up when California has its rolling blackouts, but I just cant pull the trigger.
Agreed. If my Overlanding Layout didn't require it to fit between the seats, I'd not be spending the money. Alas, I've literally checked a couple hundred other fridge options, and literally nothing else except the two Dometics I mentioned above, fit between the seats. I'm really trying to go for an option that (other than running power lines) requires no vehicle modification (eg: no pulling seats, no bolting into the car, etc), so, I'm stuck. 😕

·
Registered
526 Posts
Agreed. If my Overlanding Layout didn't require it to fit between the seats, I'd not be spending the money. Alas, I've literally checked a couple hundred other fridge options, and literally nothing else except the two Dometics I mentioned above, fit between the seats. I'm really trying to go for an option that (other than running power lines) requires no vehicle modification (eg: no pulling seats, no bolting into the car, etc), so, I'm stuck. 😕

I hear you. would be nice to keep things as is and still run the fridge. in between the seats is a perfect location for it. easily accessible and you wont lose any cargo space. sadly the cargo area is probably where i'd have to place the fridge if i ever got one since i have the 2nd row bench seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will be leaving it running in my car with the car off. Read on to see why and how...

Most of the powered refridgerators (not ambient coolers, but actual compressor fridges) draw about 45 watts peak. Only the Dometic fits between the captain's chairs. As shown elsewhere in the group and online, they cycle on and off a lot (meaning it is not a steady 45 watt draw). People have successfully used a good AGM or deep cycle as car and fridge battery, without issue. It's why I got my monstrous (for the Ascent) battery. They actually sip power at up to 90°F. Below is a handy chart.

DO keep in mind that ambient temps in a car can get considerably warmer than that. Also keep in mind that down lower in the car often stays considerably cooler.

If you are NOT looking for between captain's chairs setup, like me, then, any ApiCool or other decently rated compressor fridge/freezer works equally as well, and draws about the same amount of power.

NOTE:
ONLY the CDF-11 and CF-/CDF-25 fit between the second row captain's chairs (first and third fridges).

View attachment 11272

NOTE:
For those of you overlanding, THIS is the absolute biggest and most powerful battery you can get that fits in the Ascent (you WILL have to pull the factory tray to install it). Northstar, in general, builds industrial batteries (and their Odyssey line is the consumer oriented car line) - so, one rarely sees Northstars being sold for cars. They're generally ridiculous overkill.

View attachment 11273

Technical data
Terminal configurationSAE
Terminal illustration
Pulse cranking amps1500 A
CCA rating at -18°C (0°F)840 A
CA/MCA rating at 0°C (32°F)1000 A
Reserve capacity160 min
Capacity - 20 hour rate (1.75 vpc)76 Ah
Internal resistance3 mΩ @ 25°C (77°F)
Short circuit current3100 A
Warranty4 years full

At 0.67Ah/h, this battery will last "forever". It can sustain 3.8Ah/h for 20 hours.
You mention placing second battery in existing battery location, where do you plan to relocate your starter battery to?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts