Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

We picked up our 21' Ascent Touring back in January and have noticed since the 1st week that the gray stitching on the steering wheel is constantly fraying, has any others had this issue? Small gray fibers are sticking off everywhere......

Considered taking it into the dealer to have it looked at - I'm sure they would be happy to see us......

We've had several QC issues with the vehicle since we purchased it - missing dashboard piece, broken piston on the glove box, alignment off.....just to name a few.

Seriously feel like we purchased a 4PM Friday car 馃槖

Registered
I have the same fraying issue on my 2020 Ascent but I thought it is caused of my rough skin. For the other issues, I did notice the panel on the driver side where my right knee will touch is popped out but the dealer just glue it back for me. I would say these problems are unfortunate but glad that it is not something that makes the vehicle unsafe to drive. I do believe Subaru is not the only brand out there with these kind of problems though. Hopefully the dealership can fix all the stuff for you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for chiming guys, here is a pic of the fraying, now granted it doesnt look THAT bad, its just constantly doing it. I cant remember having this issue on other brands we've owned, or on my WRX.

Wife doesnt wear a ring - sounds odd, but we have some, then just never got them resized as we aged lol!

Think this is something worth bringing up to the dealer? Dont want to be THAT guy, but we plan on driving this car into the ground (10yrs) and dont want any issues later on. Car has 3k on it right now.

Registered
Thanks for chiming guys, here is a pic of the fraying, now granted it doesnt look THAT bad, its just constantly doing it. I cant remember having this issue on other brands we've owned, or on my WRX.

Wife doesnt wear a ring - sounds odd, but we have some, then just never got them resized as we aged lol!

Think this is something worth bringing up to the dealer? Dont want to be THAT guy, but we plan on driving this car into the ground (10yrs) and dont want any issues later on. Car has 3k on it right now.

View attachment 11502
You can if you want. But the only solution to fix it is to replace the steering wheel itself and there is no guarantee that the new steering wheel won't have the same problem.

Registered
2020 CWP Touring
Our 2020 Touring has that same type of "fraying", though not as bad and it's also not gotten worse with time. I don't know for sure, but I think those "silk fibers" you see through the stitching is from the padding or insulating underlayment that exists beneath the outer steering wheel wrap. I don't think it's a degradation of the product (such as seams pulling); the fraying on ours was present when new and has not gotten worse with a year's and 10,000 miles' worth of use.

I have not done this with ours, but I imagine a very sharp razor knife would make quick work of the fibers that you do see. Take a tweezers or small needle nose pliers and pull out gently on each fiber and give it a gentle "slice" at the base. I bet the fiber end releases pretty easily and you could then work your way around the wheel like that.

It's an hour of your time you probably shouldn't need to spend on something like this (the supplier should have gotten it right), but you'd also spend at least that much time with the dealer without a guarantee that the replacement wheel would be any better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts